RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Class C best gas mileage?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C best gas mileage?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dream Girl

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I know, Class C is a brick on wheels.
BUT! - from all the nice class C out there, which one has the best gas mileage out of the Class C family?

(I know it's a tough subject but please try to work with me on this one...)

THANKS!

A girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smallest box with the smallest engine.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot depends on the driver.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lazy Daze Class C's have long advertised that they're RV's are Low Profile. Most of their models measure 10 ft from ground to the top of the roof A/C. Lazy Daze even sometimes refers to them as "coupes"!

The metal aluminum roof also cleans up the air flowing over the top.

By the way....They have been made by the same family, in the same factory in Montclair California for 53 years! One of the first Class C motorhomes made.

"The motorhome body has been designed to cheat the wind which not only helps improve handling but fuel economy as well. The exterior body corners have been rounded over and the lower body panels have a radius corner integrated into its bottom edge. The cab over has been cleanly integrated into the chassis cab roof to eliminate the open "pick- up camper" gap. Rear wheels skirts have been added to help transition the airflow past the normally open rear wheel wells. Even a sleek awning with legs that store inside an enclosed case is included."

They also have very little rear over hang which improves handling, and are made from sheets of aircraft grade aluminum.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

raydf

Miami FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My coach gets 15.2 MPG at the cruising speed of 57 MPH (no dinghy.) By going faster, of course, you consume more fuel (which is diesel, by the way.)

Ray
Miami FL
2009 Fleetwood Pulse 24A

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In late models, the 6.0L Chevy owners report higher mileage, as a group, than the V10 Ford owners. Part of that is because the lower load capacity of the Chevy chassis makes for a coach that's smaller/lighter. The other part is the Ford V10 is a larger engine. The following is NOT scientific. It's based on comments people have made and I believe it to be reasonably accurate.

Ford E450/6.8-V10 6-8
Ford E350/6.8-V10 7-9
Chevy 3500/6.0-V8 8-11

E450 fuel mileage will be less than E350 with the same V10. It's a heavier chassis, with a lower axle ratio, and probably carrying a heavier coach.

Chevy drives better than Ford and the better gas mileage points toward a winner. Only problem, the carrying capacity is lower than Ford and towing capacity is significantly lower.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would guess that those on the Sprinter Chassis, with the small diesel would get pretty good mileage, but they are often looked at as "B+" models rather than a "C", though some do have that over-cab bunk.
You may find a "C" with a diesel engine, though most have the Ford Chassis and V-10 gasser.

I know it's great to try and find a rig with better mileage, but honestly, I am more concerned with my comfort and the floorplan of the MH. I'd rather have a larger bed, more room to enjoy inside during rainy days, and not worry about the difference in mileage.
It seems as if all of them get about the same mileage anyway....6-9 mpg. Unless you are going to be doing a LOT of driving, the money you spend to get that better mileage, may not offset the saving you get

Happy Camping

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Dream Girl

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

In late models, the 6.0L Chevy owners report higher mileage, as a group, than the V10 Ford owners. Part of that is because the lower load capacity of the Chevy chassis makes for a coach that's smaller/lighter. The other part is the Ford V10 is a larger engine. The following is NOT scientific. It's based on comments people have made and I believe it to be reasonably accurate.

Ford E450/6.8-V10 6-8
Ford E350/6.8-V10 7-9
Chevy 3500/6.0-V8 8-11

E450 fuel mileage will be less than E350 with the same V10. It's a heavier chassis, with a lower axle ratio, and probably carrying a heavier coach.

Chevy drives better than Ford and the better gas mileage points toward a winner. Only problem, the carrying capacity is lower than Ford and towing capacity is significantly lower.

So... for just an example -
The same Forest River Sunseeker 2300 on Chevy Chassis will get better gas mileage vs Ford Chassis !?

If that true WHY will someone by the ford Chassis!???

http://www.forestriverinc.com wrote:

Sunseeker 2300 on Ford Chassis:
GVWR > 14,500 lbs.
GCWR > 20,000 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 10,050 lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 4,450 lbs.

Sunseeker 2300 on Chevy Chassis:
GVWR)12,300 lbs.
GCWR)16,000 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight 9,945 lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2,355 lbs.

eeaton1

Windermere, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on many factors, to include load and if towing or not and speed normally driven. Driving over 60 mph seems to have a detrimental affect on my unit to the tune of 2-3 mpg. If you are looking at new units, you won't find many, if any, Chevy chassis as they are no longer being offered on new models effective with 2012 model year. Without getting into a Ford-Chevy argument which will probably occur, I liked the drive and handling of the Chevy chassis over the Ford but the higher CCC was not a factor in our decision making. However, I believe that average mpg will be pretty close over the long haul so wouldn't worry about it for the gas units. Diesel will get higher mpg but will have likely have less CCC and towing capacity. It is about tradeoffs.

Dream Girl

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PapPappy wrote:

I know it's great to try and find a rig with better mileage, but honestly, I am more concerned with my comfort and the floorplan of the MH. I'd rather have a larger bed, more room to enjoy inside during rainy days, and not worry about the difference in mileage...

And I am the opposite, I like simplicity!
I do a lot of out door activities like Kayaking, Cycling, hiking & etc,
all I need is the basic necessities and 6 beds.
I will probably drive or sleep in it more then I will be "living" in it... so yee... gas mileage is important.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C best gas mileage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS