RV.Net Open Roads Forum: removing dinette--how hard is it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> removing dinette--how hard is it?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are seriously thinking about removing our dinette, to make way for a full length queen bed. At 5'11" & 6'3", that RV queen just ain't cutting it!!!! The dinette is too close to the end of the bed now, to allow for a longer mattress.

How hard is it to get the table & dinette seats out?

Will having them gone decrease our resale possibilities, if we decide to sell in a few years?

The dinette supposedly can sleep 2... but they would be really short skinny people who were good friends. I can't fathom that a family with children would want this camper anyway--it's simply too small for any more than two people.

We would replace the dinette with a small (maybe fold-down) table & comfortable free-standing dining chairs with cushions on the seats.

Right now we use the storage under the dinette seats. But we do not use the storage under the bed, because it's so awkward to raise up the bed with the dinette at the end of the right side. So we would have much better access to the under-bed storage.

Has anyone done this & been happy (or unhappy) with the results?

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the dinette out not long after we bought the MH but we needed to open it up for a handicapped lift. Our MH has a rear bath and had a rear dinette. Dinette was pretty easy to take out but couldn't salvage anything outside of the table and cushions. Not really much holding it in place, a few screws into walls and floor and surprisingly not many staples.. Table brackets were simply a few screws to take it off. A couple of the screws came from either the exterior or interior of cupboards and those I cut off with a little dremal with a cutting disc. Didn't take too long. Across from the dinette was a couch that makes into a bed and with the dinette was wall to wall. There is storage under the couch and seat bottom is hinged for access.

I doubt that it will change value much if at all. If I ws looking for something new I would look at separate table and chairs before a dinette but that is my choice.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our 99 hurricane, the dinette would not let the driver seat lean back or rotate, so we took it out. No problem, just remove pieces and throw them out the door. We replaced with a smaller tabletop, and two rolling chairs. I posted pictures on the net, let me know if you would like to see them. We did find someone that was remodeling and wanted the pieces, so we gave them to him.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is no water heater,etc. under the benches, it is usually pretty simple to take the booth dinette out. I did ours by myself, put a center pedestal under the original top, got two nice chairs and walla: more space, easier to get in/out,movable for games if needed. VERY satisfied!! Mt benches came out in one piece, so my grandson took them for their "hunting lodge"

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of chairs would be comfortable, but a good height to sit in, etc? This is really the only seating area we have, no sofa. I'm thinking about a loveseat, even, with trays for eating on.

Wind Surfer

I don't remember

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned very easy to remove. In fact you might consider removing the dinnette and selling it on Criags list. We removed ours and sold it for $75, I'll always try to recover $$ if I can.

To address your last question, try looking at unfinished furniture for small table and chairs that will fit the unused area. We didn't like the dinette and removed it and then found a table and two chairs that fit. We use the table for meals and everything else.

2011 Dodge 3500 DRW Laramie
2011 HitchHiker 31.5 FKLS

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/11 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had a thought... we have a pair of the "zero-gravity" folding chairs that I just love. Maybe add some cushions, as needed. I think they would make GREAT chairs for this purpose. I do want a table....I use the table surface for extra work space when cooking, and we use it for computer work, looking at maps, etc. But the existing table is bigger than we need. Will have to do some measuring!

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/11 11:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took the dinette out of our TT first thing. Replaced with a vibrating, heated, recliner. It was an easy job, in fact everything was finished under and behind it, so I only had to fill a few screw holes.

Can't say about resale, that is less important to us than comfort and meeting our needs.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/11 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen Class Cs where the dinette abutting the driver's seat could release and lay back a bit to allow driver to adjust his seat comfortably. could you just do something similar on the one seat against the bed?
bumpy

campbrojo

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 04:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had no utilities under the dinette benches so we removed them and replaced with 4 regular chairs. It took us about 1/2 an hour to pull them out.

2004 Winnebago Minnie Winnie WF311C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> removing dinette--how hard is it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS