RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Another Quartzsite question

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Another Quartzsite question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wd

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am absolutely overwhelmed with all the information I have read about Quartzsite. I have never been there, but would like to go there around mid Jan. for about 3 weeks during the shows.
I was thinking of driving there the first of December to actually see where I would like to stay, if you can get tv reception with just the antenna, things to do, etc. I have quads and a Jeep. I am definately taking the jeep, but trying to see if I would want to also bring the quads for the 3 week stay. I am interested in dry camping
Which road is better coming from San Diego? CA78 or CA 95.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

* This post was edited 11/23/11 12:08pm by wd *

Emptypockets

North Central KS

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/11 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can't help you on which roads to take - but if you have a quad take it there are organized trail rides with miles & miles of roads & trails to see. Also there are lot's of RV parks with all kinds of amenities. If you want to dry camp a lot of different places to do that. If you play or like music there is a jam session going on someplace all of the time. Be prepared for large crowds at the many vendors - traffic on the streets is slow - quads can be driven on the city streets.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

If you can boondock I would suggest starting out in the free 14 day BLM camp area. Then after you explore the area you can move or stay put. We like the Dome Rock area just west of town. We prefer riding our ATV during that time of the year around town as it is easier to get around on and also to park. Traffic gets really bad during the big tent show and can back up for hours in all direction especialy 95 coming from Yuma. ATV's are a big help to beat the traffic backups.

Quartzsite BLM map

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went, there wasn't OTA TV signal. No internet either. A few internet cafe's using HughesNet, which was so slow you couldn't use it. Cell service was more or less non-existent. Hopefully that has changed. It has been five years.

Also take a vacuum, lots of cleaning stuff, Kleenex, etc. It is so dry and dusty there the dust piles up.

Great place to buy rocks and Chinese stuff.

Especially great if you like sitting in traffic staring at the back of dually pickups.

We went there two times our first visit; first and last.

We DID have some really good tri-tip steak sandwiches.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

DHDW&2dogs

Brockville, ON

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/11 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there last year and dry camped in La Posa South, TV reception with just an antenna was excellent, actually better than in Yuma.

DH, 1946
DW, 1949
Daughter #1 Miniature shnauzer (deceased Sept 2010)
Daughter #2 Cockapoo (deceased May 2011)
2007 Ford F250 Super Duty, FX4 XLT, 6.0 L Diesel,Crew,,Timbren SES kit, Toyo AT tires, ScangaugeII
2008 Denali 5th wheel model 31SB-M5,
Honda 2000I

badboy368

OHIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the best time to be there the last 3 weeks in jan? I have never been there but sure would like to.

40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

wd

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chiefneon wrote:

Howdy!

If you can boondock I would suggest starting out in the free 14 day BLM camp area. Then after you explore the area you can move or stay put. We like the Dome Rock area just west of town. We prefer riding our ATV during that time of the year around town as it is easier to get around on and also to park. Traffic gets really bad during the big tent show and can back up for hours in all direction especialy 95 coming from Yuma. ATV's are a big help to beat the traffic backups.

Quartzsite BLM map

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

Thanks for the replies, my quads aren't licensed for street use. Can you still ride them in town? From what I read you love or hate it. It's just that I just retired a few months ago and have heard so much about the place. It may be a one time thing, but I gotta try it.
I think I will go the first of Dec with just the Jeep and maybe bring the quads when I go back in Jan.

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/11 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mmmm tri-tip.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/11 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have only been once but really want to go back next time we are out west. We stayed in La Posa South area and had cell phone and internet access via our Sprint Air card. For us, the show was nice but all the people we met was the best part. We had arranged ahead of time to meet up with some folks we had "met" on another forum. On any given day there was anywhere from 10 to 18 coaches parked in a circle all with ties to the same manufacturer and other forum. Great time!

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

MelinProv

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/11 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes people do seem to either love it or hate it. I have had no problems there that others have expressed. It does get crowded I walk everywhere in town its somewhat faster than traffic. I take a ATV to go places in the dessert.The people there are interesting and some are quirky. Its worth at least one trip either way.As to dust there are places that are worse than others I like to camp out on the desert pavement ( small interlocked rocks ) and that cuts it down a lot but it has always been windy on some day Ive been there. I like it myself only thing I was somewhat miffed at is fighting the crowds at the tent during the RV show but even that was a experience I can tell to others and enjoy.I really enjoyed the music scene there too. Think a "RV Burning Man"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Another Quartzsite question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS