Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Valve Stems for Dual Wheels

Posted By: Doin' It on 11/24/11 12:23pm

I just had to cancel going out in our RV today because the braided hose extensions on my rear wheels are leaking. I'm going to Discount Tire tomorrow and have them removed, have the tires inflated to 75 psi and try to leave after getting this taken care of.

I've looked at SixRobbles site and can't find the part no. for the long valve stems I need for a 1998 Ford E Super Duty. I'm ready to get this issue taken care of so I don't miss anymore camping days. Can anyone tell me what the part no. is?

We're not here for a long time, let's have a good time.

Posted By: j-d on 11/24/11 02:47pm

Borg Tire Supply aka (DuallyValve) Part Number DL1E (brass) or DL1EC (chromed brass). SixRobblees doesn't show these kits on their webpage. Last I heard, they're waiting on a shipment for DL1EC. You need to do a phone order. I suspect that if you called them they'd probably have the lookup handy but it's not part of the webpage. Page has an 800 number along the left edge, near the top.
Valve Kit Lookup Page This is apparently Borg's new webpage.
FYI!!! If you have rubber stems now, and want metal ones for your front whees (spare if appropriate) the basic short 1-1/8" metal stem will not let you get an air gauge or hose chuck onto the valve because of how the wheel is made! You need 2" to 2-1/2" in a straight stem to get past the tight spot. If you have rubber stems (nothing I'd want) you don't notice it because you can flex it into allowing you to hook up.
There is also a special angled metal stem they offer for Ford wheels. I think it has around a 20* bend.

* This post was edited 11/24/11 02:57pm by j-d *

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

Posted By: Doin' It on 11/24/11 04:22pm

Thank You j-d.

I had Discount replace all 7 rubber stems with 7 metal valve stems when I had 3 out of date tires replaced. The rear wheels were fitted with the flex hoses that are now leaking. My plan is to go to Discount tomorrow and have them remove and throw away the flex hoses and air the 4 rear wheels up to 75psi. I'll order the correct valve stems and have Discount or someone knowledgeable install the new stems and have this issue taken care of for good I hope.

Thanks again for your help, I'll follow up upon completion.

Posted By: ksg5000 on 11/24/11 05:00pm

Tireman is another alternative for metal valve stems.

Kevin

Posted By: Doin' It on 11/24/11 06:05pm

Thanks ksg5000, Borg or Tireman, whichever I can get the quickest for the best price. Just found a local tire company that does heavy commerical, RV, industrial tires and tire service. Maybe they will be open tomorrow, have these in stock, and I can get it all done in the morning and head out to desert and have some fun.

Posted By: Gene in NE on 11/24/11 06:37pm

Doin'It - I hope you have the same luck that I did when I went to a business that sells and installs big truck tires. They had brass or chrome valve stems in 3 different configurations - straight, 90* angle, and 180* angle. Total cost to me was between $50 and $75 installed. They knew exactly what I needed and used the box end of a wrench to do final tweaking of the angle.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Posted By: RVRAD on 11/24/11 07:59pm

Just did the same on my 97 Ford....went to a commercial tire place and had them remove the rubber/braid fancy looking extensions that looked like a disaster waiting to happen while doing 70 mph and install metal valve stems that are slightly bent.....I have to remove the covers but that takes 20 seconds and with the proper air chuck and pressure gauge its easy to check and service
When I went in I said to the service manager "if this was your rig what would you do"

Posted By: charlesvalentine on 11/25/11 02:14am

Definitely get rid of them. I had one pull off on a rural highway, took the stem out with it and scratched the side of the coach as it flew off, not to mention the damage it did in the wheel well.

I put short metal valve extenders on and got air tools for a big truck. Now it's easy to fill them, they hold air better too!

The valve extenders: http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M8838-Metal-Valve-Extension/dp/B000FW6336/ref=sr_1_17?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1322211886&sr=1-17

And got this to fill em, works great. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6070449702P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6070449702

2003 31' Gulfstream Independence - We love to RV with our 4 children, ages ranging from 6-15

Posted By: 7.3 psdman on 11/25/11 02:32am

Loved that Chris Farley skit- "In a van down by the river"-or maybe it was a bus down by the river. It's been a while since I heard it. Good luck hope you don't miss the whole weekend.

Posted By: Doin' It on 11/25/11 05:36am

7.3 psdman wrote:

Loved that Chris Farley skit- "In a van down by the river"-or maybe it was a bus down by the river. It's been a while since I heard it. Good luck hope you don't miss the whole weekend.

Keepping my fingers crossed that Roberts Tires in Mesa, AZ. is open and can hook me up this morning @ 7:00am.

7.3 psdman you are correct sir. Chris Farley, "My name is Matt Foley, I'm 34 years old, I am divorced, I am a movtivational speaker and I live in a van down by the river." Funny Stuff. I Think the best one was with David Spade and Christina Applegate, check it out sometime.

Posted By: ksg5000 on 11/25/11 06:05am

Just remember that Tireman and Borg metal valves are not merely extenders -- they replace the existing valves (have to dismount the tires) - many/most outfits just sell a solid extender which is screwed on top of the existing rubber valves which is an inferior solution.

Posted By: Bordercollie on 11/25/11 10:44am

There should be a "sticky" for the subject of adding long solid metal custom formed valve stems for RV's to make air presssure checks on RV's possible/easier, protecting RV tires and undersides from damage,and making RV driving safer.

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Posted By: noe-place on 11/26/11 01:03am

First thing I did when I bought my new rv was replace that braided stuff with heavy duty steel valves and I've never looked back and they don't loose much air either (if any).

Posted By: Doin' It on 11/27/11 06:34am

Gene in NE wrote:

Doin'It - I hope you have the same luck that I did when I went to a business that sells and installs big truck tires. They had brass or chrome valve stems in 3 different configurations - straight, 90* angle, and 180* angle. Total cost to me was between $50 and $75 installed. They knew exactly what I needed and used the box end of a wrench to do final tweaking of the angle.

Roberts Tires in Mesa, AZ fixed me up with brass stems that they bent to fit in the shop. Now I have the tires and valve stems taken care of and I feel Much better, safer going down the road. Total cost 97.00

Posted By: Doin' It on 11/27/11 06:38am

Bordercollie wrote:

There should be a "sticky" for the subject of adding long solid metal custom formed valve stems for RV's to make air presssure checks on RV's possible/easier, protecting RV tires and undersides from damage,and making RV driving safer.

Happy Thanksgiving !!

I think the DOT should make manufactures get this right from the factory for safety reasons.

Posted By: Deb and Ed M on 11/27/11 07:23am

Doin' It wrote:

I think the DOT should make manufactures get this right from the factory for safety reasons.

I agree - everyone stresses how important checking/maintaining air pressure is - then they make it darn near impossible to DO that job.

Since installing the solid metal extended valves, our tires hardly lose air over the course of a YEAR.

And if you add *wheel liners* instead of wheel covers, you can check the tires without removing the covers. I think Ed found SS wheel liners on ebay for around $120

Print  |  Close