RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: TT for a 1500?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> TT for a 1500?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olesmokey wrote:

RoyB wrote:

Be sure you go to the Truck Dealership - Dont trust anything a RV dealership will tell you. Thats like going to Walmart and asking the saleman there how to use a digital multimeter. I have a 8800lbs fifth wheel trailer sitting in my backyard where I was convinced by the RV dealer that my F150 5.4 gas engine with trailer package, 3.73 gears, would tow it just fine. Then I look around the dealership and see them spoting all their trailers with a Sears LT1000 riding mower. My F150 did tow the trailer just fine but they left out the words "Safely". I did just fine until I got to long grade hills - Did just fine going up the hills but it was "Katie bar the door" coming down the other side. The 8800lb trailer was in control big time. I did not have any good "being safe" feelings.

The old rule of thumb has always been to keep the dry weight around 5000lbs and max weight under 7500lbs with the half ton trucks. having said that you see alot of big ole trailers being pulled down the roads with a half-ton truck. Just look at the signatures of the members on here and see what they tow trailers with. Its amazing what you find.

I guess I was too "chicken" to put me and my family at harms way. This spring I am hoping to get a JAYCO X213 feather lite RV trailer (total length is 24-feet) and tow it with my 2010 F150 truck. Momabear is wanting to uppgrade from our 4200lb POPUP trailer after five years of using it...

Ok, i need to ask..Why didn't the brakes on the trailer help you stay in control??? should have helped you along with the truck brakes too. What did i miss??

Not only that - but the new Chevy 1500 trucks have a 6 speed with a tow/haul mode that does a fine job, both climbing and coming down a hill. I own one.

Dixonmatco

Santa Rosa, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 has towed my trailer with a loaded weight at 6000 lbs more or less for several years at altitudes at below zero (Death Valley) to over 10,500 ft with no problems. We have gone almost 30,000 miles with this combination. Fact is, one of these years I am going to trade the truck in on a 2500 Duramax/Allison Chevy or GMC, just to make the hills a bit more pleasurable.

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

tibbitts

Norman, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/11 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covetsthesun wrote:

Haven't seen this asked for awhile... but... has anyone heard of a line of new TT's that can be safely towed by a 1500? I have an 04 Silverado 1500 V8/5.3L engine with "tow package". R/W drive only.

We've been kicking things around a bit and have decided that full timing is not in our future. From an economical and practical standpoint buying a new (er)2500 doesn't seem practical either.

I've heard a little about how some newer TT's have been introduced that can be pulled by SUV's. Just wondering what might be our options now...don't want a popup anymore.

Sorry if it's a "dumb question".

Thanks
CTS

It's not a "dumb question", except that there are obviously many, many TTs that are well within the capabilities of any "half ton." It's kind of silly to think you can't tow a 13' egg trailer with your truck.

With our x-cab 5.3L silverado 1500, we towed a 23.5' (overall, not just the box) x 7.5' wide "lite" mostly-box-shaped TT. On a scale it weighed about 4500lbs fully loaded, and the truck was within a couple of hundred pounds of gvwr when towing. We had the 3.42 axle, and it was just not quite optimal with our engine. Your slightly newer 5.3 version is more powerful, but possibly not enough to matter. It wasn't a matter of performance, it was a matter of not being able to run in 4th gear in the low-60mph range. 3rd was definitely too aggressive; 4th was just not quite enough without a tailwind. Gas mileage was less than I'd hoped - 10.5mpg average when towing. Aero is very, very important with TTs.

In any case, people tow much more with the same truck, but that was the practical limit for what I'd want to tow with it. A lot depends on your comfort driving. I could have the latest, most powerful 3500 dually and I still wouldn't be that happy about towing a larger TT. Obviously other people feel different.

I think you can say that 5000lbs is certainly safe to tow with your truck, by any measure, except to the extent that towing anything (even that 13ft. egg) is less safe than towing nothing at all. So if you look at trailers with a loaded weight under that, you'll be ok, if not thrilled with the driving experience. The smaller you go, the happier you'll probably be with the driving experience.

Incidentally, our truck had an aftermarket receiver, and our 4500lb trailer bent the receiver, and bent and tore the truck frame at the attachment points. The receiver manufacturer was exceptionally helpful and upgraded the receiver to their next highest rated model and that completely cured the problem. The point is, the original receiver was well within specifications, but still not adequate. Specifications are like that sometimes.

Paul

CKNSLS

Northern Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dixonmatco wrote:

My 2000 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 has towed my trailer with a loaded weight at 6000 lbs more or less for several years at altitudes at below zero (Death Valley) to over 10,500 ft with no problems. We have gone almost 30,000 miles with this combination. Fact is, one of these years I am going to trade the truck in on a 2500 Duramax/Allison Chevy or GMC, just to make the hills a bit more pleasurable.

The 5.3 is one of the great motors out there. It has proven reliability and has been around for many,many years.

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CKNSLS wrote:

Dixonmatco wrote:

The 5.3 is one of the great motors out there. It has proven reliability and has been around for many,many years.

Define reliable. I just had to replace mine at 170k. And...I'm fanatical about maintenance. I took it quite personally. Breaking in the crate motor slowly now. Plan to keep it for awhile now...it's got a 3yr 100k warranty.

cts

Locky

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/11 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing our Jayco 27ft bunkhouse for 5 years now with my 2000 GMC 1500 5.3 with no problems. Dry weight is around 4900lbs so figure another 500lbs loaded.

stephend

Ashville, AL

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow the 5,000 lb TT shown below with a Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500.

3 married children, 7 gr ch
Electrical engineer married to mom/homemaker
Log Home on lake to retire in 8 years
Not golfer, fisherman or hunter but Let's go camping!!
2006 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 3.23 w/2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS

martipr

Haltom City, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/11 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi and 3.92 rear end. I have pulled my 7500 pound trailer all over the USA, flatlands, mountains, interstates, back roads, etc. Stay within the combined weight rating and all should be well.

Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 V8 3.92 Rear End
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

panamacamper1 wrote:

Check out my page. I have a 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi
Our trailer is 29 feet long, 32 feet with the hitch and it weighs
4700lbs empty. That leaves us about 4000lbs since my max is 8500.
I have 3;55's and dont really know what the 3;92's will do for me.

You sound like me.

My combo is a 97 F-150 extended cab, 2wd, 5.4, automatic, 3:55 gears
It has an 8,000 lb max tow rating, around 1700-1800 lbs max payload capacity.

TT is 32 ft overall, Dry weight just under 5,000 lbs, GVWR of 7,500 (ahh the beauty of no slide, lol)

So, I believe that a half ton is more than capable of towing a decent size TT within the trucks ratings!!

To the OP, just know what your ratings are and go shopping for a TT within that rating.

Just know that there is much more to towing safely than what your TV and TT are. Hitch set up is very important, having some kind of sway control device, and having a quality brake controller are all important.

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

panamacamper1

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/11 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out my page. I have a 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi
Our trailer is 29 feet long, 32 feet with the hitch and it weighs
4700lbs empty. That leaves us about 4000lbs since my max is 8500.
I have 3;55's and dont really know what the 3;92's will do for me.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> TT for a 1500?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS