|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Skylight Water

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
PapaJim

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have water condensing in the skylight above the shower, between the "lenses." The lower lens does not have a seal. I've tried duct tape all around the lower lens, to no avail. I've left the lower lens off for a couple of weeks, including rainfall, and there was no evidence of a leak from outside.

welove2drive

Southwestern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bet there is a leak of some kind some where. We had a 02 TT with the same thing. The exterior ski light cover had a crack in it at a screw hole. Did not find until I pulled all the caulk off. If not there some where close by.

Dave and Marcia
02 Ford F350SD 4X4 SRW Longbed, 7.3PSD Auto
07 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Jimehc

Taylorsville, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In this type weather and your location - it may just be condensation - due to the temp differance inside and out.. I would not be so sure it was a leak yet, although possible.. Do your windows condensate??

flintlok

Hudson, NH

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had water in between our inner and outer skylite panel in the bathroom, and ended up pulling the skylite out and replacing with a much beter raised skylite that I got from a company in Vancouver, Canada. Here is the link:
http://www.dayliter.com/rv-skylights/msf-acrylic.php

Excellent product. Raised outer welded aluminum angle and the skylite is outside of it, held on with an exterior aluminum frame. The skylite plastic is replaceable by unscrewing the frame screws and it just lifts off. I like that feature. I have photos of the installation, but don't know how to post them here.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had removed my lower skylight section to look for water under the flange when I accidently sprayed it with water from the shower wand when cleaning the shower enclosure. Since I had it down I also looked over the upper part for signs of leakage just in case the roof had been leaking there. After replacing it I had a problem with condensation for a while. I think the humidity from cleaning the shower and enclosure got trapped in the area between the skylight sections. I removed it again just to double check. It just took a while for the moisture to disapate between the skylights.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, definately leaking. I had the same problem this summer, condensation building up between the layers and then dripping down the shower wall. I removed the inner layer and found the foam and roof panelling to be wet and the screws rusted. I got up on the roof to check the caulking and it looked fine, no cracks etc, so I thought it was coming from somewhere else and running under the rubber roof membrane. I checked all the seals and they all looked fine so it was time to dig a little deeper. I started removing the caulking around the skylight and sure enough there was water underneath it. There were small cracks all around that weren't visible on the outer skin. I pulled all the caulking, cleaned and dryed all around, resealed with Dicor lap sealant and eternabond on top for good measure. Turned out so well that I ended up doing the entire roof! No more leaks or condensation, and no more worries for as long as I will own this trailer.

'14 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

PapaJim

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's condensation from the shower inside. I tried leaving the lower cover off for a couple of weeks during which it rained, and there was no sign of moisture. I think the problem boils down to sealing the inner lens. I tried to do that with duct tape, but there was no effect. I since learned that duct tape is not waterproof. I think I will try some waterproof tape.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Skylight Water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS