|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> biggest truck camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wildwood32

east moline,ill

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering what is the biggest truck camper made.Do they make them in 2 or 3 slides?I have a larger 5th wheel but was wondering if they make a larger truck camper.

If its Friday,see ya on monday.Have camper,will camp.

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think host makes aThree slide unit. Arctic Fox has a big dual slide that requires an f 450 or f550.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Host used to make a huge camper with three slides.

One member bought one of the last Hosts to leave the factory, even had a Honda water cooled RV generator built into it. I think he put it on a F-450 or F-550. Some of the campers are Really heavy!

Fred.

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/11 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chalet RV makes double and triple slide TCs.

Chalet

The triple slide model looks like a smaller version of a 5th wheel layout.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'12 Lance 855S
B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure why the OP suggested that Host isn't making Triple Slids, but their site is updated for 2012. I don't think Chalet has even been in business a year yet. Okanogan also made/make triple slides.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/11 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Host, Chalet triple slides are probably the biggest. Eagle cap has a double or maybe it's a triple slide. Any of these campers will need to be on a 4 or 5 series truck. Ford and Dodge both make them, many people tend to forget about the Dodge models. They only came as a cab & chassis so you will need to have a pick-up bed custom fit or, better yet, get an aluminum flatbed with some storage boxes.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I don't think Chalet has even been in business a year yet."

Actually, the Chalet RV Company was established in 1998 in Albany, Oregon, where the company's one location still remains in 2011, employing about 35 people.

The business is a private family-run company, and they are famous for their ultra light weight "A" Frame solid walled trailers.

Then the studied up on other truck camper brands, and came up with this!

The truck campers are interesting in a number of ways, the floor inside is nearly flat from the rear into the front bedroom! Very light weight but sturdy construction technics, huge under floor storage in a heated basement areas...and interior volume 2nd to no other TC manufacturer.

All tanks and batteries are located forward of the trucks rear axles for balance, and the TS 116 has a huge living room with 3 slideouts.

It's a BIG GIRL at 3695 dry weight and Estimated Wet Weight (approx lbs) 4203.

They also have a complete line of smaller truck campers, the Ascent for example.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Actually, the Chalet RV Company was established in 1998 in Albany, Oregon, where the company's one location still remains in 2011, employing about 35 people.

Yeah, I should have been specific that they haven't been making TCs for a year yet. As we all know, TCs are a special type of RV. It is possible that Chalets will hold up, but right now, there is very little time to prove that they will.

For the record, most of the TCs that I researched changed their slide designs multiple times. It's possible that Chalet is perfect in the first attempt.

BTW, several of the TC manufacturers including Host are/were family owned and employ very few people with a small niche which is why there are so few that survive with Host being one of them.

MudTJ

Forked River, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.powerhousecoach.com/Pickup%20Truck%20Campers.html

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
2011 Northstar 850SCXB
1998 Jeep TJ

nstate

usa

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/11 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Host designed and built the first triple slide camper, the "Everest". They are still in business and are producing them as right now. They downsized there dealer network and now offer them factory direct. The larger 450 or 550 would be ideal, however, a properly outfitted 350 will haul it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> biggest truck camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS