RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How much wind to flip a 5th wheel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How much wind to flip a 5th wheel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/01/11 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ram4Sam wrote:

laknox wrote:

Ram4Sam wrote:

laknox wrote:

Howaboutnow wrote:

We have had our 5th wheel exposed to supposedly 60 mile an hour gusts on I10 near Palm Springs, CA. However, I had slowed down to about 30 miles an hour by the time they hit. Got off the road ASAP. I suspect anything much over 60 MPH would flip our 38' 5th wheel. It was really scary at the time. We have been warned off of I10 a few times between Blythe and Palm Springs by Interstate electronic signs. Parked between two 18 wheelers loaded with hay bales one time at a deserted gas station when told to leave I10. This time supposedly 70 MPH plus winds. Pretty nasty. Not sure I want to experience that again.

In that area, it's dust much more than the wind, that causes them to close I-10. Same as between Phoenix and Tucson. Even a 30-40 mph wind can kick up an amazing amount of dirt when it hasn't rained is several months.

Lyle

Actually, in that area it is more sand than dust, really does a number on paint and glass.

Sam

Well, yeah, but for this discussion, sand=dust. ;-)

Lyle

Not trying to one up you but people ought to know that it is sand and not dust in the that area. Blowing dust won't damage a vehicle at all compared to what the blowing sand will do.

As a sidenote, the winds are howling really bad here in the So Cal/ Inland empire area, started last night and are supposed to last until this weekend. Not a good time to traveling here for a day or two.

Sam

I wasn't discussing abrasion damage, but visibility, as the reason that that these specific freeways (also I-40 E of Flagstaff) are usually closed.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

RaenMark

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

60 plus mph winds this morning just north of Salt Lake City. Gusts hit over 100. 10 semi's blown over on I15. Our 5er was parked just west of the interstate, nose to the east. Only damage we have is lots of scuff marks from the roofing material that blew off the storage lockers where we park it. Got pictures and will talk with our insurance agent. Didn't move the unit at all, front legs still on the 2x8's where we parked it. Couple other units in the same lot didn't fare as well, a couple class A's with broken windshields. Guess we dodged that one.

Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
1999 Fleetwood American Tradition 40
Just got it and learning about it as we go!

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/11 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CNN had a video yesterday of a TT or enclosed utility trailer, stopped between 2 semis, getting blown over. Didn't appear to be loaded as it went over pretty easily.

Lyle

Howaboutnow

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/11 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our cases when traveling between Blythe and Palm Springs we were not told to leave I10 because of poor visibility caused by the winds. In fact we could see quite well. The wind itself was the issue. I don't know why the dust/sand/debris wasn't reducing our visibility much in such high winds but they were not at those particular times. In fact we were driving directly into the wind for awhile and didn't fully realize the wind was blowing so heavily until the truck shifted down.

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall reading on one of these forums that a 5th wheel, somewhere in Oaklahoma, was flipped by a TORNADO... other than that or a Class 2 hurricane ... enjoy the rock'n'roll.

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/11 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To Op....you must have just moved to Texas cause 30 mph days are kinda common down here, 20-25 is a light breeze. I have towed mine in 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph and you can feel it hammer the side. But no trouble staying in my lane but gas mileage went to hell in a handbag. If you are new to Texas, look around the camp ground and you will see no body has their awning out unless they are sitting under it. Awnings don't hold up well in 30 mph wind....

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

cabanaman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/04/11 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

CNN had a video yesterday of a TT or enclosed utility trailer, stopped between 2 semis, getting blown over. Didn't appear to be loaded as it went over pretty easily.

Lyle
Saw that,it was a small utility cargo trailer probably empty.It went over really easy.

Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/11 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been parked in my 5er with 70 mph winds without any problems. I was pulling my TH TT in 60 mph crosswinds on I-70 and it was no fun. A truck camper pulled onto I-70 and was fighting the wind and I watched the back tire leave the road a couple of times, I thought he was going to go over. The truck camper took the next exit.

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/11 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howaboutnow wrote:

I don't know why the dust/sand/debris wasn't reducing our visibility much in such high winds but they were not at those particular times.
It might have been raining previously.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

GMC4ME

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/11 11:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

A few years ago there were some very strong winds in the Yuma, AZ area. I arrived at a campsite in Wellton a little later and found one fiver had been pushed off the blocks under the front landing jacks (at least it didn't flip over). Don't know if the jacks were damaged but the fall probably didn't do them much good because the blocks were pretty tall. Lesson learned: don't put very tall blocks under the landing jacks. The smaller the blocks, the less potential for damage to the jacks should they be pushed off by wind.

I have not read any posts mentioning wheel chocks. I always have my wheels chocked while camping or while in stowage. They will not prevent the rig from flipping, but they do add stability, comfort and reduce the rocking and rolling. Additionally, they would probably help prevent the landing gear from falling off blocks due to reduced twisting motion. In my area, we are subject to earthquakes - another reason to always have the wheels chocked.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How much wind to flip a 5th wheel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS