RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: What's with diesel prices?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What's with diesel prices?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
pusherpilot

Wherever we are.

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On this trip I've noticed that the price of diesel is now greater than $.50 per gallon higher than regular. I can't recall the price spread being that high before. When we left Mo regular was $3.17 and diesel was $3.87. Now we're in Houston and the price at one station is $3.06 for regular and $3.57 for diesel. The spread is about the same everywhere. What is going on with diesel? As I recall the spread used to be about $.20. (defective memory maybe?)
Ron

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/11 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This time of year there is a big demand for heating fuel as people fill their fuel tanks with diesel.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of diesel being used in the oil fields in ND not only for equipment but all the trucks going in and out. It was also mentioned that they are pumping diesel down intro the wells to break up the oil. Diesel is $4.19 in our area now.

indiana_pilot

Highland, In

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.98/gal more than gasoline in NW Indina today.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heating Oil season!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

sbmowrey

sc

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heating oil no longer affects diesel as it is not low sulpher. They charge what the traffic will bear and the price has nothing to do with the cost of product to produce. The truckers quit complaining because they can pass the cost on as a fuel surcharge to their customers. This started when the government mandated low sulpher and some refineries decided to not spend the money to convert and are now producing only home heating oil, thus causing less over the road fuel to be available.

2006 Mandalay 40G
2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if it effects the U.S., but there was a major refinery in Northern Alberta that was shut down. This has effected Western Canada in a big way. Our diesel prices run ~$1.25/liter or $4.75/US gallon.

Livin' the dream!

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a recent trip heading I-75 N to I-10 W, I noticed diesel at .85 to .90 per gallon more than regular. Percentage-wise, a diesel would need to get at least 20% better fuel economy than a gasoline engine just to break-even on the fuel cost differential (not to mention initial cost nor maintenance cost). I still love my DP, but hate paying such a ridiculous amount more for fuel that is much cheaper to refine than regular gasoline. Think politics comes into play somewhere along the line?

In 2003 when we bought our first DP, diesel fuel was consistently .30 per gallon less than regular.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel pricing is just the same as it's always been. It is whatever the oil companies want to charge for it (just like always). Even THEY have decided to quit trying to think up a different reason for all of their price increases and just do it now (think they got the slogan from Nike). My GUESS would be that if they had any reason at all for the increased price of diesel it is to offset the higher oil costs and still keep the price of RUG down since there are about 20 people using gas to every diesel user. Please more of the people and get fewer complaints and less pressure.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

REWahoo

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/11 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three reasons diesel is significantly higher than gasoline right now:

1. Refiners can get a premium for diesel in Japan and Asia, and are exporting more leaving less for domestic use.
2. High demand for diesel in the oil patch fracking boom (North Dakota, South Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, etc.) is creating spot shortages.
3. Heating oil demand is cutting into refinery output of diesel.

Imagine what the price would be if the economy wasn't in the toilet...

2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What's with diesel prices?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: