Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Winter Camping w/ Slide Out Awning

Posted By: usksal08 on 11/27/11 02:21pm

I am looking to do some winter camping and not sure if snow and ice will hurt my slide out awning cover when I go to close the slide? Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can camp in the winter and not hurt the awning over my slide?

Posted By: skipnchar on 11/27/11 03:23pm

Snow and ice are a couple of VERY good reasons to USE a slide topper. If you don't have one then you would certainly need to clear your roof before retracting the slide room. WITH the topper in place the snow and ice simply rolls off as you bring in the room. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: louiskathy on 11/27/11 04:45pm

We have an awning topper and place a 5" PVC round tube under it so it does not sag with the weight of snow. We stay put in one spot all winter long so letting it melt on it's own is not an issue since we are not trying to move the rig to go anywhere.

Kathy

Posted By: alid on 11/28/11 08:10am

You just have to be careful when retracting the slide.

We had water freeze on the slide topper that dripped off of the roof. It prevented us from putting the slide in. It was a large piece of ice and I didn't have a ladder available to remove the ice and put it in. We left the slide out and then returned the following week and the ice had melted. If we know it's going to snow allot we will pull the slid in.

It is a full wall slide and has a roller in the middle for support. I believe that it is hard on the topper rolling it in and out in the winter. But we like using the Motorhome in the winter so I know that I will have to replace it sooner than normal.

2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

Posted By: usmc616 on 11/27/11 07:33pm

I had my first experience last month with snow while camping. We had 19" fall in 12 hours, I had to close my awning, snow was very heavy and I did not it to get damaged. I would retract my slides every couple hours to get the snow off the slide out awnings during the day. At night enough snoe fell that when I went to retract my slides the awning material could not retract into the sleeve, instead it started to fold up . Luckily for me I was outside while my wife retracted the slide, I had her stop and then helped turn the sleeve by hand as she operated the slide.

SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 3 dogs
2004 Ford Excursion LTD 4x4 V-10 3.73 Gears, Hellwig Swaybar, Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer, Roadmaster Active Suspension, Super Duty Tow Mirrors
Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.

Posted By: Bruce3404 on 11/27/11 03:42pm

You'll need to keep your eye on what's on top. A heavy load of snow and ice could damage the awning. I'd retract and re-extend the slide as needed to keep the awning clear.

Posted By: #40Fan on 11/28/11 09:30pm

We had 8" of snow on our slide topper that I had to broom off in order to get it to retract properly.

2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Posted By: Wills250psd on 11/28/11 08:18am

skipnchar wrote:

Snow and ice are a couple of VERY good reasons to USE a slide topper. If you don't have one then you would certainly need to clear your roof before retracting the slide room. WITH the topper in place the snow and ice simply rolls off as you bring in the room. Good luck / Skip
I agree with skip on this one and most of his post.

Posted By: JesLookin on 11/28/11 08:22am

Wills250psd wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

I agree with skip on this one and most of his post.

X3

2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Posted By: crasster on 11/28/11 08:39am

I just play it safe, if possible bring the slide in before any known snow or ice.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Print  |  Close