|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Splendide burns up controls boards

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, here is another Splendide problem! I have a 2000S model, my 3rd one actually! I have had issue with all 3 of them burning up control boards. I have now purchased 5 control boards and getting sick of it. Anyone else have this issue? The guys at Splendide are absolutely no help at all.

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or where to get a board for a good price?

Thanks!

You are not allowed to see this info.
2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What type/model or models of RV have they been installed in. Factory install or DIY.

PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is

Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Cindy wrote:

What type/model or models of RV have they been installed in. Factory install or DIY.

First one, I installed in my 2000 Fleetwood Discovery. The next one came in my current motor home, a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton. The third I bought and put in as a replacement to the factory installed one. That one was going through brushes every 60 days.

I have checked polarity and voltage of the incoming power and both are where they should be.

Jim Cindy

Northcentral, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should have asked if they were all installed in the Phaeton. If so, I would not look for cheap boards, but for a wiring/ power problem in the Phaeton. I cannot personally say I have ever heard of a board failure, let alone 5 of them in three different Splendides. Something is not right. The ground on the washer circuit, wire size, voltage at washer or connections. Where are you when it happens? Same spot, plugged in at home?

Dixonmatco

Santa Rosa, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Control boards "Burn Up" for a couple of reasons. First, low line voltage causes higher current requirements which can also result in overheating. Voltage that is too high can also create problems with some control board components.

I would monitor voltage closely (at the same outlet) while machine is in operation. I am assuming that this unit runs on 120V?

2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 Komfort Trailblazer T23S
Honda EU2000I

Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim Cindy wrote:

Should have asked if they were all installed in the Phaeton. If so, I would not look for cheap boards, but for a wiring/ power problem in the Phaeton. I cannot personally say I have ever heard of a board failure, let alone 5 of them in three different Splendides. Something is not right. The ground on the washer circuit, wire size, voltage at washer or connections. Where are you when it happens? Same spot, plugged in at home?

I have a few RV lots on Florida. It happens when I am at one of them. We caught it this time just before the board completely burned up. Last time I put a board in, (2 months ago) I have to replace a wiring connector at the board because it melted. Now the burning is happening at another part of the board.

Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dixonmatco wrote:

Control boards "Burn Up" for a couple of reasons. First, low line voltage causes higher current requirements which can also result in overheating. Voltage that is too high can also create problems with some control board components.

I would monitor voltage closely (at the same outlet) while machine is in operation. I am assuming that this unit runs on 120V?

Yes, 120V. I have the machine out of the cabinet now and checked the voltage at that outlet. It is showing 120V.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would be keeping an eye on the voltage real close when the machine is running. You have either a voltage flux when the machine is running or a voltage drop down below 108 volts. Appliance circuit board do not handle low voltage or big swings. The fact you say the wire melted means very high AMP draw were you should not have much.
Also check the voltage cycle if you have a meter such as a Kill a Watt or digital line meter. Voltage that gets out of cycle can also damage boards but is very rare.

MPD56

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/11 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I can understand, it only happens at the same lot? If there is four connectors going to the module, which one did you replace because it melted?

I’m only guessing from the service training manual diagram, that the module powers and controls the motor. If it happens only at one place (RV lot), then I would suspect that maybe a power surge started this cascade of events. What area of the boards is burning up? What pins on the module did the melted connector, connect to?

I think you have multiple problems caused by the first event. One problem is that the motor shouldn’t be burning up brushes and the motor should be tested. Also if the melted connector you replaced was the power connector (pins 10 & 11), I’d check if your surge protector is working.

Not sure what serial number on your unit is, but a service training manual is at the link below if you don’t already have it. As other members have posted, the use of an inline meter can help, I use a “Kill-A-Watt GT” meter that has over current and voltage detection to troubleshoot, although it doesn’t like the start up current of some motors.

http://www.splendide.com/service/TRAINMANM_Complete.pdf

Keep us updated and good luck.

haddy1

Chesterfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/11 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have replaced mine once. My WD finished a load normally. The next time I went to use the WD it was dead. A couple of terminals and connectors were burned up.

The guys at Westland were very helpful, but for $300 plus I would expect them to be. They made up a board with all new connectors with pigtails. All that I had to do was butt splice it in.

Even though I have a surge protector, I now leave the WD unplugged when not in use. I don't know if it helps, but it sure won't hurt. IMHO, a board that is not powered is less likely to be damaged by vibration going down the road.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Jeep Wrangler Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Splendide burns up controls boards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: