RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Stuff!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our S&B, which is very small, I have a rule. Except for food and cat toys, if something comes in, something has to leave. So far, we're very high on the egress and low on the ingress.

We've never filled our MH full. We even had empty compartments when we were full-timing. By using the S&B rule, we're keeping L'Andante from getting weighed down unnecessarily.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

DOTL Spec. Alexander the Grrreat--tuxedo cat
Spotacus--Christmas cat

Nui

Vancouver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/11 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sigh....

I had some of my camping gear (from tenting), plus I added all the stuff that was in my mom's 19 ft. TT (enough for 8 people) when I inherited it. Then when I bought my new 28 foot TT, it came fully loaded with stuff from the previous owner. At that point, I did a purge, but I still have a LOT of stuff to move into the RV.

I'm the type that will buy multiples of everything because I've always found that, when I like something, they stop making it. This might explain why I own 6 folding chairs.

I may need to buy a bigger RV.

Nui

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, yeah, yeah....
If you were to look in our MH basement, and in our house closets/garage/attic you would agree that I could qualify to be on the Hoarders TV show. The way I see it, most of the problem comes from buying and buying stuff, and NOT getting rid of the same amount of old stuff. We can't seem to have it in us to part with any of our junk. Yep, it's a sickness.
As we speak, my wife is out shopping. I've been telling her, for several years, to NOT buy me anything for Christmas, NNNOOOOOOOO, she insists on having lots of presents under the big Christmas tree. Therefore, I have to buy presents for her. She has everything, like I do. But, I have to somehow come up with more stuff, to add to our other stuff,.....for Christmas.
I do NOT want hurt her feelings, and she does NOT believe me when I say it won't hurt mine. Sick, sick, sick....

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

mustang652

Body's in 'Vegas, Heart's in Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/11 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"> I've picked up on a few good ideas reading your responses on this thread. I'm actually making progress on reducing the "Stuff". I've kept asking myself how did I end up so much in the RV. After a while, it finally dawned on me that when I set up the Tiffin and moved everything from the Class C we traded, we for the most part were weekend campers and even though I carried quite alot' it was not anything like what I pulled out of the Tiffin. The problems seems to have come from our adding to it for the long haul as we had recently sold the house and we were not sure where we wanted to retire and/or if we wanted to be full timers or buy another stick house. Anyway, back to the reduction. Within weeks of living in the larger RV I bought a bunch of the Sterilite 12X18X6 and 12X18x12 locking lid containers for storage in the bins. I was using the 3 of the larger and 12 of the smaller containers. By consolidation and reduction of things that I really felt like we no longer needed to keep in the RV, I have reduced it by six containers. The next step is to go through it again later this week and remove the stuff that I carry when we makeing road trips and/or extended out of state trips like when we drive to Texas to visit family. I carry a lot of extra tools and supplies that I really don't need for the weekend trips.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: NRA, VVA, VSPA, DVA,VFW

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/11 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean out every 6 months when we return to home base for doctor appts.
When we buy something we have to throw something away.
Works for us. We full time in a 33' Class A with 2 slides.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/11 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobR wrote:

I keep my "stuff" to a minimum with the thought that a Walmart or auto parts store is always not that far away. About the only item I carry that I don't use is that fancy ladder I just had to have years ago. With extension poles and climbing on the rood I've never had to use it!

Needed a ladder yesterday, went to Rental place, $6 later, job is done, and ladder is returned ... In September we will need a ladder again, and guess what our plan will be again ....

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 9 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / Alpenlite Travel Trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS