|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> thermopane or dual pane windows

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MrOldman

home

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a differance between thermopane and dual pane windows

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermopane is a brand name for a hermetically sealed double glazing.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

2oldman

Stehekin WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dual pane windows
Dual pane windows 2
Dual pane 2011

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/11 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The simple rule of thumb to use is that the R-value of a single piece of glass is roughly one, The R-value of 2 pieces of glass with an air space of some kind is "2". There is about one-half the heat transfer with two panes than with one.

UV Coatings and inert Argon gas filled windows can improve this but the chances are that RV windows don't have the kind of exotic coatings or gasses needed to raise the R-value all that much. I believe the fanciest windows for RV use can achieve an R-value of around 4 with just two pieces of glass. And then there's the "Fogging "issues when the seals fail and moisture forms between the glass!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 32 Alpenlite 5th wheel had thermal pane windows. They were basically 2 pieces of glass with a spacer between them. Also some seal material as moisture barrier. I lived full time in the RV and those windows were great. I never had any fogging problems. The biggest problem I had was the manufacturer said thermal panes throughout. The rear huge window was not thermal pane. Thermal pane was not available for that window. The Alpenlite was a rear livingroom and it was chilly in sitting in the rear of the 5th wheel. I wouldn't have ordered thermal pane if I knew it didn't come on the rear window also.

I accidently broke one of the thermal pane windows. Getting a thermal pane replacement took a lot of effort to locate the proper thermal pane replacement. I lived and traveled with a taped up broken window for over 6 months. Fortunately only the outer pane of glass broke.

I just ordered out a Jay Flight 19RD TT and ordered the winter package which has R19 sidewalls, R22 roof, and R24 floor. Hopefully it will work out as well or better than the thermal pane windows. It also has heated tanks.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

MrOldman

home

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

My 32 Alpenlite 5th wheel had thermal pane windows. They were basically 2 pieces of glass with a spacer between them. Also some seal material as moisture barrier. I lived full time in the RV and those windows were great. I never had any fogging problems. The biggest problem I had was the manufacturer said thermal panes throughout. The rear huge window was not thermal pane. Thermal pane was not available for that window. The Alpenlite was a rear livingroom and it was chilly in sitting in the rear of the 5th wheel. I wouldn't have ordered thermal pane if I knew it didn't come on the rear window also.

I accidently broke one of the thermal pane windows. Getting a thermal pane replacement took a lot of effort to locate the proper thermal pane replacement. I lived and traveled with a taped up broken window for over 6 months. Fortunately only the outer pane of glass broke.

I just ordered out a Jay Flight 19RD TT and ordered the winter package which has R19 sidewalls, R22 roof, and R24 floor. Hopefully it will work out as well or better than the thermal pane windows. It also has heated tanks.

wow the biggest window was not thermopane.thats the one window that should have been thermopane . I would have not been happy if thats how my rv arrived.will your Jayflight have thermopane? thanks for all the info and good luck with your Jayflight!

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/11 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WandaLust2 wrote:

fordsooperdooty wrote:

........ And then there's the "Fogging "issues when the seals fail and moisture forms between the glass!

And this very thing happened to us... not in an RV but in our house of all places. Expensive windows at the time, but they're all fogged and there is no way to clean between the glass pieces. The windows look "dirty" all the time because of this. The seals fail in some of these windows. Since ours are huge windows we'll leave them. I can't justify spending thousands of dollars to have them replaced with no guarantee it wont happen again. We're very disappointed.

Have you actually got estimates to replace the failed glass? If they're odd shapes it can get expensive but just replacing the glass is MUCH less than having a whole new window installed (frame, trim, messing with siding, etc.). I recently had a 5' X 5' window's glass replaced for $350 and that included the guy coming out and installing it.

If you've ever watched how fast a window installer can removed the pane of glass you'll feel much less secure in your house It's literally less than 5 minutes for it to be taken out.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

........ And then there's the "Fogging "issues when the seals fail and moisture forms between the glass!

And this very thing happened to us... not in an RV but in our house of all places. Expensive windows at the time, but they're all fogged and there is no way to clean between the glass pieces. The windows look "dirty" all the time because of this. The seals fail in some of these windows. Since ours are huge windows we'll leave them. I can't justify spending thousands of dollars to have them replaced with no guarantee it wont happen again. We're very disappointed.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

JohnG4706

Chicago Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/11 01:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WyoTraveler wrote:

A good glass shop should be able to make a pattern, determine the glass thickness of both the outboard and inboard lites, measure the air space/gap and order you a new IGU (Insulated Glass Unit). I would suggest having the new IGU lites tempered. Regular annealed glass has a strength factor of 1.0. Tempered glass is 4.0, 4 times stronger and in many instances resists impact breakage. Tempered glass is what the basketball backstops are made out of and you occasionally see a 250# player hanging on the rim... Tempered glass is safety glass and used in sliding glass doors, etc.

Good luck.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I know the Jay Flight 19RD does not have thermal pane windows.

The back window of my 32 Alpenlite was a huge picture window. On the inside of the rear of the 5th wheel it went to the ceiling and within a couple of feet of the floor and all the way across the back. There were two recliners that sat in the rear. We had to use an electric heater back there in the winter. when we started looking at TTs this time around we liked the Keystone Springdale 179QE-WE. Decided against it because they also have a huge window in the rear. Lets in a lot of cold air in the winter. I think we will really like our Jay Flight 19RD. It is loaded with options.

Alpenlite is out of business. You could only buy those thermal pane windows from them directly.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> thermopane or dual pane windows
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS