RV.Net Open Roads Forum: US 101 Oregon to central CA then I-5 to Yuma?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> US 101 Oregon to central CA then I-5 to Yuma?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The drive from Longview to Astoria is a good two lane. Visit the Astoria Column if you can, pretty cool. (or whatever it is called) Heading down the coast in OR is a wonderful drive, take your time, stop here and there if you can.

The northern part of 395 is iffy in winter, it can actually close temporarily if bad enough, or have chain restrictions.

Rodney 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently made that trip in our 40ft MH pulling our Tahoe. It was slow and at times really tight. We enjoyed the sights, but I was glad to get off 101. Might do it again later.

Bob

road2002runner

Vancouver Island B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another way - from Bakersfield is to keep on 58 to Barstool (Barstow) then south on 247 and hit Yucca Valley - then drop down to I-10 and south passed Salton Sea.

101 is not one for making speed - but it is kinda scenic thru OR - I think it's rough, some disagre. I would stop in Florance OR and then further south at the OR/CAL border - Florance is a cool town and lots of beach views & redwoods south of there, then you could take I-5 north of Sacramento a short way to Bakersfield and then out 58,
or carry down 101 to Pismo Beach & cut to I-5/58, from there .

HAPPY MOTORING

BBT

I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)
Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)
2004 COUGAR 295EFS
Barry, Margie & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoofly21 wrote:

My wife and I will be heading from Tacoma to Yuma in early Jan. pulling a 25 ft. trailer. We are tired of going south all the way on I-5 then east on I-8 from San Diego. No timetable to meet at all. We are thinking of going from Tacoma I-5 south to Eugene, west to US-
101, south to Clear Lake, California, east on CA-20 to rejoin I-5 south. This will avoid the Siskiou area but puts us back on I-5 which is very rough from Sacramento to Stockton.
US-101 should be uncrowded and not to curvy for a rig like ours. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcom.
It sounds like you've been the horse headed to the barn - And I mean that in a postive way as I've been there.

You have so many options besides the above that it blows my mind:
1. Take 210 E towards Indio and you have many options to Yuma.
2. Take 46 E and then 58 out of Bakersfield and head towards Lancaster, Josha Tree or whatever. Plus you have all of the above options.
3. Take 101 and 20 E to 80 and pick up 395 etc.
4. Take 101 to the Healedsburg/Dry Creek area (did I say great wines) and on to 37, across the top of the bay area to 80, 680, and E on 580. Don't take 5 S as you're bored with that route. Take 99 to Bakersfield and follow the above.
5. Take 101 to SF. DO NOT take 101 through SF, instead take 19th Ave, 280, 85, 101 and on to 46 and the many wineries in that area. Take 46 to Bakersfield and follow the above.
6. You can continue on 101 and E on 210/10 to Indio and follow the above. This give you the LA douse of driving but not as bat as 5 IMHO.
7. I recommend 101 from Astoria to 46. Oregon is beautiful. In N CA jump off of 101 to 1 along the coast. In SF jump to 1 to Monterey. I advise not using 1 immediately N of SF and you should research 1 S of Carmel Valley.

You have SO MANY options and I hope that you explore them. Don't ever again put the blinders on the horse and head to the barn!

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Ron Butler

Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. or points between.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoofly21 wrote:

My wife and I will be heading from Tacoma to Yuma in early Jan. pulling a 25 ft. trailer. We are tired of going south all the way on I-5 then east on I-8 from San Diego. No timetable to meet at all. We are thinking of going from Tacoma I-5 south to Eugene, west to US-
101, south to Clear Lake, California, east on CA-20 to rejoin I-5 south. This will avoid the Siskiou area but puts us back on I-5 which is very rough from Sacramento to Stockton.
US-101 should be uncrowded and not to curvy for a rig like ours. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcom.

Shoofly21 - greetings from a Federal Way neighbor, but now in AZ. for the season! We now have a house in Sun City and this is our 2nd. winter for that. Some good suggestions. Several suggestions for possible alternatives at that time of year. I would second the coast, just watch for fog and/or ice. If weather a problem, jump back over to I-5 to Medford and go across the Siskiyou's later in the morning. They keep it pretty clear unless a real mess rolls in. Then back out to the coast.

Somewhere around San Francisco/Sacramento, cut east and take in Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia Nat. Parks. Opps, may be too much snow by that time of the year however!

Take State Highway 41, also called the Cal. Gold Trail, and take in a lot of the old gold rush areas. They have some pretty good wine in that area as well. This takes you right through the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas so I don't know about snow there.

We did the above loop last spring on our way north and had a great time.

You could also cut through into Death Valley NP and spend several days.

If we are just making a straight shot we leave I-5 at Red Bluff and take 99 on south. Takes you through smaller towns, orchards, but in places somewhat rough. However, keeps you close to easy fillups at Costco's!!

Where in Yuma do you stay?

Have a great trip down. It's been in the high 70's this past week, but "cooling" off into the low to mid 60's for the next 3-5 days!

Ron & Carolyn
Happy - Lakeland Terrier
Rose - Welsh Terrier
From sailing yacht to land yacht
KE7BZC
M/V Lothlorien

GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels

rollexx

Vancouver, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/11 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have suggested, I would cut over at Longview to Astoria.
Places we have stayed along the coast and found to be very nice.. north to south...
Fort Stevens SP
Cannon Beach RV Resort
Cape Lookout SP
Cape Kiwanda RV Resort
Devils Lake RV Park
Sea and Sand RV Park
Beverly Beach SP
South Beach SP
Sunset Bay SP
Turtle Rock RV resort
Redwoods RV Resort in Crescent City CA

Good eats along the coast..

Silver Salmon Grill.. Astoria
Pelican Brew Pub.. Pacific City
Black Fish Cafe..Lincoln City
Tidal Raves.. Depoe Bay
Saffron Salmon..Newport

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/11 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, And there you go - no need to ever take the same route twice going either N or S. Have a good trip!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoofly21 wrote:

Wow--thanks for the landslide of excellent replies! Everyone headed to AZ from the Puget Sound area will benefit from these ideas. I will have to consider all these suggestions. I want to avoid the
I-5 "slog". (But I have heard from some bloggers that I-5 in CA has been recently repaved south of Sacramento and is much improved. Can anybody confirm this?.

We are headed to Yuma early in Jan. Don't have a park picked out. May try out a few. See Ya' down the road.

Shoofly21
The entire length of I5 is average or above average with the standard disclaimers of metro areas and snow areas. I don't recall from a few months ago that the Sac-Stockton section being real bad like it has been in the past.

Shoofly21

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/11 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow--thanks for the landslide of excellent replies! Everyone headed to AZ from the Puget Sound area will benefit from these ideas. I will have to consider all these suggestions. I want to avoid the
I-5 "slog". (But I have heard from some bloggers that I-5 in CA has been recently repaved south of Sacramento and is much improved. Can anybody confirm this?.

We are headed to Yuma early in Jan. Don't have a park picked out. May try out a few. See Ya' down the road.

Shoofly21

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> US 101 Oregon to central CA then I-5 to Yuma?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS