RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Horn upgrade?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Horn upgrade?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember back in the 70's I found an old tractor trailer from the 40's-50's in a field that had an electric set of horns on the roof. There was 2 trumpets and about 2 ft long. Stuck them in a Chevy Vega and they went almost the full length of the engine compartment. But they sounded just like more truck air horns and loud as heck. Wish I could find something like those today. The ones from Whitney and Harbor Freight don't sound like truck horns. They are loud but sound like European horns. My son has a set of Grover air horns on his truck and they sound sweet.

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

DKean

Mays Landing NJ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/11 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They do get the job done. I do try to use them with desecration.

The place I bought them from had another set at 170 db but I thought they would be just a little over the top. My wife gets up set when I don't warren her first.

We traded our truck and fifth wheel for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. (8-30-13)Haven't used them in almost a year.

Slowmover

Corpus Christi, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/11 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may have been a post on this forum in re Grover "Stuttertones" on emergency vehicles: Grover Enema-Inducers (was what the Fire & EMT crews called them).

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 15-cpm solo, 25-cpm towing

bstark

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/11 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My International came with dual electric "street" horns behind the grill and a Grover single short trumpet air horn that sounded like a wounded goose by itself so paired it with another grover of a longer trumpet and then we had a winner.

Hit 'em all for max effect. Usually necessitated by a young female in a Honda civic doing the lane wandering with a cel-phone glued to her ear.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

me1magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/11 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have train horns.
I also have two sets of the Wolo "long horn" air horns that are mounted under the front bumper and hooked up with my regular horn button. They sound every time the stock horn does and are pretty loud. However some people are really into their phone conversations and for whatever reason need to get "shocked" back to the reality that I am about to run their dumba$$es over, so those fine folks "get the horns" as my wife calls it- the train horns.
Go to this site -
www.hornblasters.com

I have the "shocker XL" set. I run mine with a constant duty compressor and a five gallon air tank that are in my in bed tool box. The train horns are mounted under the right side of the bed at the front on the outside of the frame rails.
Yes they work and no, to my knowledge no one has died as a direct result of my horns....yet.

Mat
'05 Dodge 3500 SRW converted to DRW 4x4 QC LB SLT- CTD 325HP/610TQ w/ 6 speed manual- plus a little triple dog power...
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF33LF- 35' triple slides, dual a/c's, LOFT over the rear BR

me1magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/11 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, my train horns have a special switch that will only sound when I hold it and it is mounted on the dash behind the steering wheel on the right side, so I have to really intend to use them, they don't just go off when I blow the horn in the truck.

chadsalt

GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/04/11 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny, I spend all day at 60+ feet and up to 80,000 lbs........don't remember the last time I had to use the horn, air or electric. I suggest saving your money and pay better attention.

Hank85713

Tucson, Az

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/11 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There recently was a newspaper article here locally tha the use of horns for anything other than an Emergency was a citeable offense if the leo wanted to write you up! The example given was for someone picking their nose or whatever like most are want to do at a stop light/sign. I think maybe if you go overboard with the horn designs you could possibly get yourself in trouble, it will depend on where you are I guess and the cops. I know I got a ticket in La for passing in an authorized zone, but the case was I exceded the speed limit! He later just gave me a no seatbelt write up ($50) vs a speed ticket ($130).

So I would go with maybe a simple upgrade and not get too carried away with the noise, although I know its sometimes needed but to what effect I cant tell ya. We need to just have better informed/aware drivers and leave all the phones and stuff at home.

boondockdad

Dearborn

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/11 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, looks like I've got (2) actual horns

Would it be possible- with this information- to design a '2-stage' type setup?
Can anybody give me some help on a new electrical schematic?

TIA!

Airstream 30' S/O Classic Limited + 8.1L Suburban LT

http://www.boondockdad.com

See you down the road!

gijoecam

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/11 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would take some engineering, but an adjustable-delay relay from Newark electronics or possibly even Grainger would foot the bill. Tie the trigger of the relay into the OEM horn and set the delay at a second or less. A brief toot uses only the stock horns, but a long 'WTF?? A-hole!!' blast brings in the big guns.

For the auxiliaries, I'd use the biggest, baddest ones I could find. Big horns require a big compressor and/or a tank to feed them.

If you want straight-up electric ones to augment or replace the stockers, look into Stebel horns. www.stebel.it They have a decent selection. The Nautilus is a common upgrade on motorcycles, and it's about as compact as you can get when it comes to air horns...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Horn upgrade?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS