RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is your prefered RV for disabled use?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> What is your prefered RV for disabled use?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
shelle007

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/11 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your RV of choice for your disabilities and why?
What all do you consider when choosing an RV to make things handicapped accessable? What are things that you must have to make it easier for you to use your RV?

My husband has really bad heart disease and severe limitations on his physical abilities because of chronic chest pain. He has to use oxygen sometimes as well. We have been told he will eventually need a heart transplant but he has passed their time-line on that. We refuse to completely stop living our lifes but it does make it difficult to use our travel trailer like we want.

To compound our situation, I have had a three level fusion in my cervical spine leaving me without much strength in my arms or hands. My lower back also has degenerative disk disease which can limit me and causes me pain frequently.

Because of our situation we have hardly used our travel trailer in the last three years. We really miss using it but we just cant handle set up and take down anymore, mostly the manual leveling and just unhitching it even.

We are considering trading it in for a used class A motorhome that has the automatic hydrolic levelers (whatever they are called). Im sure we can handle the rest of the hooking up just fine.

Of course we have considered adding electric levelers and hitch to our current RV but we like the thought of the added convenience of having everything at hand in a motorhome when traveling.

Shelle

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/11 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also recommend that you look at the "A", because you can really just pull into a site and be set up in a few minutes.
Only physical work, would be the hook-up of the shore power and water....and later the dumping of the black tank
The automatic levelers (hydraulic or electric) will make life much easier for you.

You may also be able to get a lift at the door, to make getting in/out easier, if that becomes an issue in the future.

I believe that you can always have one of the high-dollar coaches custom made, with wider hallways and doors, as well as ADA counters and bathroom, but you will be paying quite a bit.
But, you can also have safety handles and such installed in the shower or alongside the toilet for a more reasonable cost.

Good luck in your search....you may find that someone has just what you are looking for, and has decided to move on from the RV life, for whatever reason, and you could get a nice "A" at a reasonable price.

A Class "C" can also be fitted with the leveling system (I have it on mine), but I can't help but feel that you would do better with a smaller "A".

Good Luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/11 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think an A might be the best choice for you too. Do either you or you husband use a scooter? If so you'll do better to get a RV that is handicapped accessible with wider doors,aisles and a roomy bathroom.
Check this site for used accessible RVs - http://www.rvproperty.com/handicap_rv_sales_1.htm

If you'll be traveling around rather than going to one campground and staying put you should also consider a small class C. A separate towed car isn't necessary with a small RV. Another forum member has one made by Born Free - http://dodgenmobiletech.com/mobility-rvs

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/11 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking at a Class A be sure to check the steps going into the MH. We have a total of 6 steps up and both of us have problems with steps. We are lucky that our son helps with the loading and unloading. Some Mhs are not that high off the ground. I carry my scooter in the back of my Saturn Vue for when we are sightseeing and it sure does help getting around. If we aren't going to go far at a stop I just use my walker.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/11 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much money do you have to spend? Preferences are one thing but ability to buy is another. There are many solutions for those with limited funds, and for those with unlimited funds, the sky is the limit. Class A with all the mods is the best way. Chair lift, in case things get worse, roll in showers, aisles wide enough to allow chair movement WHEN the slide is IN.

motorcycle jack

FT all over

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can recommend DRV 5th wheels. They have a one button hydraulic leveling system I use, then I had them put on the electric reel for the power cord. Also they will modify it any way you want, larger door ways, a ramp instead of steps, etc. Make sure you ask about a floor plan that will work, some wont for some handicaps.
I really like our unit and the mods we've done. But you do have the hassle of hooking and un-hooking, a Class A would eliminate that.

John
"Motorcycle Jack"
Life time Good Sam Member
Blog: My RV
5th Wheel Blog

Full timing isn't "always camping". It's a different life style living in an RV.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/11 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After looking at some other posts I thought of another item to consider with physical limitations. If you have 50 amp service that cord is a very heavy item. The 30 amp cord weighs a lot less but you can only use 30 amps while the 50 lets you actually have 2 X 50 amps for a total of 100 amps. That heavy wire does take more time to roll up.

raindove

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Class A and love it. I can't ride very far in a car due to severe back issues. With the class A, I can change position or even lay down on the sofa while traveling. Minimal set up when we get where we are going. Also, if we are traveling a distance and need to stop for a few hours sleep - if any trouble starts, you can just get behind the wheel and leave. No need to go outside.

The only problem I have with ours is that I have trouble getting my foot lifted high enough to get over the enclosure to get into the shower. It's like a tub at the bottom. I can still manage, but have to be very careful, and is the one thing I would change if I could.

However, considering we only gave $14,000 for a 1998 Class A Bounder, you sort of have to choose your battles. We looked at a lot of MH's and they were just trashed, inside and out. Found this one in excellent condition - and the price was right.

Class A's also have more basement storage than Class C's. My scooter breaks down and fits underneath.

Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

McDuff

Dallas, Tx area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being in a wheelchair, ease of use was paramount, since my wife would get stuck with some jobs. A Class A with auto levelers is very nice, pull in, hit a button and we're leveled. Have an electric reel for 50amp cord making it easy to wind/unwind, hookup water and we're done. We only hookup up sewer when needed.

Ours has a lift for me in the chair, also makes it nice for loading/unloading the coach no carrying up the stairs. It was modified by Winne at the factory, so it is wide enough inside for me to get front to back in my chair, but there is still plenty of things out of reach, so I can't go camping by myself, gotta take the wife.

But we still have a hookup, we tow my van behind, and my wife gets stuck with that, 'cause once I'm in the driver seat, it is a hassle getting back out. So if you do go with an A, think about whether you'll need a dinghy and what to do with it.

Rather be Ridin' then Rollin'
Winnebago '03 UA 40E(wheelchair accessible)
'05 Chrysler T&C (Braun Entervan)
Roadmaster Blackhawk2
Remco Lube pump

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> What is your prefered RV for disabled use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS