|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Leak in Bedroom

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
phillips1202

Novi, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/11 04:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have 2006 Bounder 39Z. Just noticed significant moisture in carpet at the base of both outside walls in our bedroom. I caulked the trim above the cargo bins at the floor (outside), both windows and the gutter seam at the roof earlier this year. There's no moisture at the inside of windows, walls below windows or from the roof. My guess is that it is coming from inside of the walls. Any ideas where to look for this leak?

Thanks,

Chuck P.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/11 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember the "Handyman" show from WJR where they said "Water always wins". Don't just look above the leak. I had a leak on my '89 Jamboree (Fleetwood) that was at the rear and the water ran out over the driver seat. I would forget caulking on the roof seams and edges and use Eternabond. It will last the life of the MH and will not let water through.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 12/09/11 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your water heater and the pipes for it. Have a good friend that has a 39Z and his BR carpet was soaked from a leak at the water heater.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr or Suzuki or an ACE riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/11 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow the level of you rig and look uphill

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

countrypair

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/11 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a similar problem with my 2007 Fleetwood Terra LX. I removed a draw under the wardrobe in the left corner of bedroom. Found water stains on the wood frame & water between the wall & frame. Checked outside in the storage compartment on that side & discovered water dripping from the metal framework. In addition, I discovered moisture in the corner of the living room slide, also along this metal frame. I too sealed just over the bedroom & the floor line area. After about six (6) months of frustration I finally started at the front of the coach, sealed the front cap & along the gutter on both sides of the coach. I no longer have any leaks! The water must have been leaking in the front & traveling along the metal framework to the back corner.

Hope this helps!

-Gramps-

Portsmouth VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/11 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a bad leak in my Bounder 36s in the wardrobe along the back wall. It would soak the floor of the closet and the bedroom carpeting. It turned out to be a leak from a hairline crack in the caulking on the roof where the endcap was joined to the main part of the house. The back wall never showed any signs of moisture. The water traveled down the wiring in between the endcap and the coach. Water can take some very strange routes from where it comes in to where it ends up soaking your floor.

glodal134

OHIO

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

I remember the "Handyman" show from WJR where they said "Water always wins". Don't just look above the leak. I had a leak on my '89 Jamboree (Fleetwood) that was at the rear and the water ran out over the driver seat. I would forget caulking on the roof seams and edges and use Eternabond. It will last the life of the MH and will not let water through.

Water runs down hill and the leak could be several feet from where it's showing up inside. Also Eternabond is a excellent product.

johnsonbert

Houston, TX-Ironwood, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of places to specifically check would be to make sure the air conditioners are down tight, and that the vent screws are well sealed if you have added the plastic vent covers. We found that on our last rig, the air conditioner to roof gasket had become compressed from rough road travel and therefore the air conditioner was loose on the roof and allowing water in, it showed up in a side wall. I tightened up the bolts, they were as much as 1/4" loose, and the leak was gone. Another place would be around the add-on vent covers where you have to take out some screws to put brackets for attachment. I have seen these not caulked correctly and they have leaked also. Condensation in the walls could also be a possibility, but there is lots of other things to check also. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

mdanielson55

tyler texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check that the water hasnt set in the top of the slide. it can stay there and when it moves the water runs down the sides to walls and carpet

merrycat9

Anaheim, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am really new to *issues* like leaks in the rear bedroom, wet carpet but no visible sign of water on walls or ceiling. You have all given great responses. I am just so darned unhappy about the leak and subsequent wet carpet that it makes camping not fun. We have decided to take it in to the dealership to let them find the leak. Do you think this is advisable?
It is a 30' 2004 Itaska Sunova. With leak in the rear bedroom, drivers side.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Leak in Bedroom
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS