|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert frame inspection

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cougarnewbie

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2005 Cougar with a Lippert frame. I'm considering taking down the vinyl on the underside of the overhang to expose the whole king pin and all the welds. My thinking is to have a weld shop inspect and reinforce anything that might look weak. My question is, has anyone taken down the vinyl? How tough is it to do? Is it something I can do in the driveway? Thanks for any input folks.

May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are you doing this? Did you have a accident or jackknife it?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReverendCharles wrote:

Why are you doing this? Did you have a accident or jackknife it?

So that the whole pinbox structure can be inspected and problem areas taken are of PRIOR to having major pinbox problems. Lippert frames have had problems with bad welds, cracked/rusted and fatigued metal.

Preventative maintenance....cheaper to do BEFORE vs AFTER

OP..hope someone that has removed the pinbox cover chimes in.....looking at mine it appears that I have to remove cover trim and screws on sidewalls and bottom of front cap (plus all the pinbox cover screws) in order to remove. Don't think it's difficult and can be done in driveway easily enough........cleaning old caulking off will probably be the toughest part. That and being bent over under the area....och!

Think I'll have a look see when I get down to sisters place. I'll have the time/place to do that then......probably a good idea having a Lippert frame and all.....might be interesting.

* This post was edited 12/10/11 12:10pm by Old-Biscuit *

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are you just looking for something to worry about. Lippert makes thousands of frames every year and only a tiny percentage ever have a problem. (Otherwise you would see broken down trailers lining every interstate highway mile after mile.)

The very few people who DO have a problem make a great deal of noise and make it sound like every frame is a time bomb. If this were true, Lippert would have been out of business long ago.

You are likely to do more damage to your trailer while pulling the Coroplast off and putting it back than the frame will ever do.

Relax and enjoy your RV adventures to come.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's a smart move on the OP's part. After inspecting my Lippert frame I found several bad spots. One of them was a battery tray that was so poorly welded that a light tap with a mallet caused it to collapse onto the ground. Thankfully that was in my driveway and not while on the highway.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last I heard their failure rate was .0001 of 1%. I better pull the underbelly on my new tt that was in an side layover and front impact accident (Lippert frame). The collision shop said the frame was in perfect alignment even after being handled by a wrecker crane to stand it up on its wheels. I wonder if a lot of the frame problems are from consumers trying to force (wedge) a trailer into a tight space. I bought a Cougar 27RLS used and sold it 2 years later for the same price as I paid. Why is Cougar the #1 trailer that holds resale value?

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but I don't buy that failure rate for one minute and who would keep track of such data whether it be under warranty or after? (source?) I've read far too many posts regarding exactly this kind of failure.
I don't think anybody ever complained about the alignment of their frames. It's the welding that lacks. They weld "backwards" which is very fast but has little penetration. Any professional welder will quickly recognise these welds.

* This post was edited 12/10/11 12:45pm by ScottG *

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, for one, think that it's a good idea to have the frame periodically inspected on ANY towable unit.

It sounds to me like the O.P. has the perfect opportunity to do so!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

sandyhillbill

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had frame cracks in the axle area , had them repaired
and now I inspect after every trip. I have not inspected the pin box area but it sounds like a good idea to me.

2009 Open Range JF335BHS
Me and Her 52yrs
2002 F250 7.3 PSD CC Lariat 2WD
Retired elect./instrument tech
41yrs papermill/West Monroe Louisiana
USAF 1958-1962 Home of Duck Dynasty

js24

way down here, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

Why are you just looking for something to worry about. Lippert makes thousands of frames every year and only a tiny percentage ever have a problem. (Otherwise you would see broken down trailers lining every interstate highway mile after mile.)

The very few people who DO have a problem make a great deal of noise and make it sound like every frame is a time bomb. If this were true, Lippert would have been out of business long ago.

You are likely to do more damage to your trailer while pulling the Coroplast off and putting it back than the frame will ever do.

Relax and enjoy your RV adventures to come.

Bet he will wish he never started that......lol

2006 Ford F350
2006 Mobile Suites CK3 #2902

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert frame inspection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts