|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert frame inspection

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If just pulling the everplast off damages the frame then for sure he'll want to inspect it.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would nor know if I was looking at a bad weld or not.My neighbor across the street is a certfied welder for a large company and he said the welds that he could see were Ok in his opinion.

It is not a bad idea to look if it makes you feel better but make sure you have a qualified person give the opinion.

I would start out with looking at the tag with the GVWR of your Rv then weighing it since RVSEF has data that indicated that over 65% of the Rv's they weigh are over weight.That would be just to make sure that running overweight is not a factor in any frame issue.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

lstreutker

Port Orchard, WA , 98367

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is another item on these frame problems, it has to do with the hitch you are using we had a RBW hitch that only rocked for and aft, we got into a bind backing in, trailer really twisted and we heard the frame break at the pin box, my fault, swithed to another hitch that rocks for and aft and side to side, can back in know with out binding up the trailer and no further problems

301TBS

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scott G...what is welding backwards. i have done mig and arc welding as a small part of my pfofession and looked at my A frame tounge to rail welds today. i would b ashamed if i had done them. will have touched up in spring. maybe they were backwards??

2012 Crossroads Z1 271B
2009 F150 4x4,4.6,3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

TheAmRheins

Elizabethtown IN USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a way to see a problem without taking apart the front overhang area.

Watch for movement of the pinbox in relation to the skin as you raise the front landing gear when hitching - movement at the point where the weight is transferred to the pin could indicate a problem.

Have someone inside the closet in the nose of the overhang while hitching and unhitching (raising and lowereing the front landing legs). Pay attention to the corners and closet walls for any sign of movement.

Any movement in these areas probably would indicate a pinbox frame problem.

Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

WellShooter2

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only a certified welding inspector would be able to determine the faults in a weld. Just because it looks ugly doesn't mean it won't hold and just because it is pretty doesn't mean it has correct penetration. Just throwing in gussets to stiffen things up is a bad idea because the frame has to be able to flex. It would also be really easy to set your trailer on fire while fixing something that ain't broke.

Without the ability to flex the frame will break. Rather than inspect and reinforce the welds I suggest you test them on a rough section of hiway. If it doesn't break you are ok.

2008 2500HD D/A
2008 Keystone Challenger

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WellShooter2 wrote:

I suggest you test them on a rough section of hiway. If it doesn't break you are ok.

I sure hope you mean that as a joke!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cougarnewbie wrote:

I have a 2005 Cougar with a Lippert frame. I'm considering taking down the vinyl on the underside of the overhang to expose the whole king pin and all the welds. My thinking is to have a weld shop inspect and reinforce anything that might look weak. My question is, has anyone taken down the vinyl? How tough is it to do? Is it something I can do in the driveway? Thanks for any input folks.

If you have a symptom that something is wrong. It's a good idea. However if you talking preventative maintenance, or going through the trouble based on the forums or some story of some sort I would not bother.
If you inspect it today how do you know it won't break tomorrow?
Where does it end?

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,Killerbee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags w/compressor,Garmin RV760
Arvika pin box bike rack,Bak Flip G2 cover
5500 Onan LP,EMS-HW-50
14'Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube 2000,Splendide WD

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

301TBS wrote:

Scott G...what is welding backwards. i have done mig and arc welding as a small part of my pfofession and looked at my A frame tounge to rail welds today. i would b ashamed if i had done them. will have touched up in spring. maybe they were backwards??

Basically instead of building up the weld as your proceed, the welder just drags it backwards like spreading caulk.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

WellShooter2 wrote:

I suggest you test them on a rough section of hiway. If it doesn't break you are ok.

I sure hope you mean that as a joke!

Wow, so much of that post is just wrong. No, you don't have to be "certified" to tell a bad weld. Minimal experience and training will tell you that much. And no, a frame shouldn't break because it doesn't flex much. Frames of cars, trucks and trailers are made stiffer all the time and it doesn't result in breakage. To the contrary, there are fewer fractures. Finally, ugly, yes, you (or someone who knows what they're looking at) can easily see a bad weld. A good weld is never "ugly" to someone who knows what they're looking at.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert frame inspection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS