|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert frame inspection

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
js24

way down here, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 04:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone always wants to blame the "frame manufacturer" when there is a problem......

The RV manufacturer specs out the frames they order from the frame manufacturer.

If they build the RV and there is a lot more weight on the frame than the frame was built for, whose "fault" would that be??

2006 Ford F350
2006 Mobile Suites CK3 #2902

Southern Nights

FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, yes, I have dropped the front skin on the overhang.
It is a relatively easy job taking it down. It does require 2 people to actually remove the skin just because of it's size. It is not heavy just hard to handle by yourself.

Putting it back is another story. I am sure the factory guys can do it alot quicker than I did. It took about 4 hours to get everything lined backed, reinstall the screws and caulk everything.

To drop it, ,
1)at least on my trailer, remove all the rubber molding covering the screws. lay them down flat in the sun so they are pliable when you reinstall them.
2) Remove all the screws around the front storage compartment and remove the door and frame assembly.
3) If you have a light under the pin box, remove the mounting screws, disconnect the wires and remove light fixture.
4)Remove any trim you have around the pin box.
5) Remove all screws from perimeter trim and front cap. When you begin to drop the skin, start at the bottom below the storage door opening. Pull it down and towards the front of the trailer, this will remove the skin from the front cap.

This is what you will see-

Back together-

Going back up, just reverse the order. Getting the skin above the front cap was the hardest part for me. Once it is in place above the cap, it was easy to get everything else lined up.
Hope this helps.

* This post was edited 04/11/12 12:52am by an administrator/moderator *

Larry and Samantha
Fur kids-Duchess,Mesa and Sweetie

Cougarnewbie

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Southern Nights. That is the answer I was looking for. Great pics

May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

Southern Nights

FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 05:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a side note, here is one thing I did once I had the skin dropped.

* This post was edited 04/11/12 12:53am by an administrator/moderator *

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/11 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

301TBS wrote:

Scott G...what is welding backwards. i have done mig and arc welding as a small part of my pfofession and looked at my A frame tounge to rail welds today. i would b ashamed if i had done them. will have touched up in spring. maybe they were backwards??

Basically instead of building up the weld as your proceed, the welder just drags it backwards like spreading caulk.

I retired recently with just over 42 years in steel fabrication, and I am a little lost on your analogy , welding backwards ? Dragging it ,pushing it, what are you trying to say ?

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js24 wrote:

Everyone always wants to blame the "frame manufacturer" when there is a problem......

The RV manufacturer specs out the frames they order from the frame manufacturer.

If they build the RV and there is a lot more weight on the frame than the frame was built for, whose "fault" would that be??

I would think both were to blame but this isn't what happenes from what I read on this forum.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

B W M

Princeton IN.

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReverendCharles wrote:

Last I heard their failure rate was .0001 of 1%. I better pull the underbelly on my new tt that was in an side layover and front impact accident (Lippert frame). The collision shop said the frame was in perfect alignment even after being handled by a wrecker crane to stand it up on its wheels. I wonder if a lot of the frame problems are from consumers trying to force (wedge) a trailer into a tight space. I bought a Cougar 27RLS used and sold it 2 years later for the same price as I paid. Why is Cougar the #1 trailer that holds resale value?

But that 1% is what could get some people kill! Why not take a safety move to keep this from happing. It only takes so Meany lives to get safety laws on the book. Why is that?

03-3500 laramie 4x4 6 speed 3.73 gear Jake brake triple piller isspro gauges 04-38ft fifth wheel Prowler AX-6 100gal in bed fuel tank volant air intake tool box Utra-Fab air deflector Tom Tom 720

up2nogood

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/11 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B W M wrote:

ReverendCharles wrote:

Last I heard their failure rate was .0001 of 1%. I better pull the underbelly on my new tt that was in an side layover and front impact accident (Lippert frame). The collision shop said the frame was in perfect alignment even after being handled by a wrecker crane to stand it up on its wheels. I wonder if a lot of the frame problems are from consumers trying to force (wedge) a trailer into a tight space. I bought a Cougar 27RLS used and sold it 2 years later for the same price as I paid. Why is Cougar the #1 trailer that holds resale value?

But that 1% is what could get some people kill! Why not take a safety move to keep this from happing. It only takes so Meany lives to get safety laws on the book. Why is that?

You have some facts on what you are saying, I read a lot about cracked frames, etc etc ,but not anything about fatalities caused from cracked frames, pin boxes etc. Possible ,sure, but is it happening .

bernadettegood

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had to have our,s repaired whilst on a journey, so the undercover and side mouldings got a bit damaged. Now we're home We have removed it again and will get it inspected and further strengthened as needed. We also intend to replace some of the undercover with see through Perspex around the pin box area for easy inspection in the future. ( Our frame was found to be to thin for Australian roads and we had to fit a air hitch as well.)

Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/11 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no expert but have bean told if welding on frame to do so at 45 angle not wertical as this wekens frame or only to do spot welds not fully weld.

Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lippert frame inspection
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts