|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sewer hose vs Sewer Solution

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have ONLY used the Sewer Solution since day (5.5 yrs) one and got used to its speed (not) and convenience...well....started having what seemed like very thin sheets of 'rust' blocking the 1" outlet...found out it didn't taste like rust....just the same color And my tank flush never really seemed real clean even with prolonged rinsing...was advised it was a buildup of poo on the tank walls breaking loose and causing the clogs....so got some tissue digester and let it sit for 5 days, got a regular 3" sewer hose and was amazed at how fast I could dump a FULL black tank....seemed like about 20 seconds vs 3-5 minutes with the small hose...Plus the main thing is it looks like all the sediment/scraps went with the flush too...I got a Valterra Dominator hose with end caps and a sidewinder hose holder and it seems to handle very well with no hints of
any leaks...I was very surprised at the small amount of handling inconvenience vs the Sewer Solution....I never need to dump up hill so I think I made a good switch.

2006 Mountain Aire 43
Short haired wife, long haired daschund and 3 sugar gliders are co-pilots, along with Garmin Nuvi 855
05 Honda Pilot with Air Force One supplemental brake
Blue Ox Aventa II towbar
Whirlpool Residential Fridge !!!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing moves 'stuff' out & faster than a wall of water rushing out.

Sorta like...whats move the debris faster & further down the stream:
A small steady trickle from the bottom of the damn OR when the damn bursts?

Both will move stuff but for cleaning the stream the wall of water wins

I have a macerator but only use it at sisters place.......septic tank clean-out is 75' away and uphill. Have to get it out and use it starting next week

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you've learned there's nothing like a sewer hose for a cleaner more trouble free tank. I have a macerator but never use it unless it's necessary.

Never pass up a chance to go somewhere

BillJ999

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my class B, the sewer outlet is very low. I often (at least 50% of the time) run into situations where the sewage has to go uphill ... and it always refuses to do so, even when I say "Pretty Please"!!! The Sewer Solution has been a life saver. I always flush the toilet at least 10 times after each dump. The toilet dumps straight into the black tank so that must help flush it out a little. When I can, I use a 10 foot 3" hose.

Bill
1999 Roadtrek 200P

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 3 choices

3" hose only works IF the sewer "inlet" (hole in the ground) is low enough to be below the OUTLET.. I've been in places where that was not the case.. It also likes the hole in ground to be close to the motor home or trailer discharge.

That said ... it is very fast, dumping my 36 gallon tanks in just about 1 minute or less.

Electric powered macerator pump can pump much farther (Over 100 feet as I recall) And it can pump UP hill, very handy,,, but it takes like 4 minutes to empty that same tank.

Sewer solution is even slower, can't pump as far or as high, and uses a lot of clear water to do what a few watt-hours of electricity can do easier and faster. IT also places a greater load on the sewer system where you dump.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Larry Cohen

Mobile, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sewer solution is even slower, can't pump as far or as high, and uses a lot of clear water

I never needed the extra water...just gravity drain...maybe that was my problem???

Mike and Claudia

Canyon, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/11 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a sewer solution and at times, it has been a life saver. We were at a church camp and there was only one dump station for four RVs. We were about 65' from the dump and it was about a 2' drop. SS worked great all summer.

Another time we were working at a state park and we had to dump into a clean-out at a restroom. It was only about a 6" drop, but still worked OK.

Wen we are in a regular RV site, we use the 3" slinky. Works Best.

Separate tools for separate needs.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/11 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SS is a waste of money, both in purchasing and with all the water it takes to empty your tank. get a sewer hose and a quickie flush and you will be very happy. in and out of the sewer dump station in ten minutes and you have a clean tank and use only about ten gallons of water compared to 50 or 100 gallons

big jimbo

Carson City, NV/Surprise, AZ./Florence,OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/11 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larry,

Everybody seems to have missed one very important part of your opening statement. Why in the world are you tasting what comes out of your Sewer Solution???

To answer your second post, you need to use water to do the macerating for you. Read your SS instructions.

I use the stinky slinky when I can, but the SS is very handy in situations where you do not have a 3" hookup.

Don't taste any more of that "stuff"

Jim and Sally and a Lakeland Terrier named Rufus
Carson City, NV/Surprise,AZ/Florence,OR
2001 Country Coach Affinity, 40'
Towing a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a Blue Ox tow bar and using a Brake Buddy.

deandec

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/11 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the sewer solution routinely in rv sites and the stinky slinky at dump stations.

I have watched other RVers use the Slinky and then use 5gpm water hose to wash down their big hose and the surrounding area. Then they shake the big hose so the water will not drip in their container or bay.

So, I am not sure that the Sewer solution wastes much water compared to other options.

I do use the water pressure for the macerating function on the black tank. I also rinse the black tank while in the dumping process by changing the flow direction of the Sewer Solution using the provided flow switch. This procedure might alleviate your scale problem.

Usually, the black tank is not more than 1/2 full, @30 gallons. Since most of that 30 gallons is liquid under gravity, the hose water source is primarily consumed when solids come through the chute.

When done, I allow the grey water remaining in the hose to drain. Then I remove the hose from the sewer connector and cap the hose with a 1" PVC cap. After stowing the hose in the utility bay, I remove the sewer connector and put it in a container. I have minor to zero spillage, contained potential water drips, and easy to store hose still connected to the drop chute ready for the next use. The Black tank only gets separate rinse very occasionally.

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Sewer hose vs Sewer Solution
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS