|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Lake Louise, Canada

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rright3329@aol.com

portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/11 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a trip to Lake Louise next summer from Portland, Oregon. Can anyone tell me what the road is like going through Glacier National Park. There seems to be a lot of very steep hills to go over. Is there a better way to go??

Bob & Kathy & coco the smartest dog in the world. (Shih Tzu)

2006 Chev Silverado HD 6 liter gas engine 2007 Cougar 5th wheel 291RL
and love it.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You cannot take RVs over "the Going to the Sun Highway". There is length and height restrictions. Only way around is via US 2. Check the NPS.gov website for restrictions. Glacier
Road throught he park is narrow and windy. Lots of construction this past summer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

flashflood

hermiston,or.usa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/11 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

take 95 north from Instate 90 good road, have a nice trip,

charlie

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/11 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

You cannot take RVs over "the Going to the Sun Highway". There is length and height restrictions. Only way around is via US 2. Check the NPS.gov website for restrictions. Glacier
Road throught he park is narrow and windy. Lots of construction this past summer.

I believe they are asking about Glacier National Park in Canada which is west of Golden, BC. The main road (CA 1) is a major 2 lane road with some definite grades (Some photos of the road & area), but I pulled my Escape 17 with a RAV4 from Glacier to Lake Louise with no problems. A beautiful drive, although I was fogged in most of the time I was at Lake Louise in early July. (Lake Louise Photos)

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CAN 1 is a good highway through most of BC and Alberta. It is much like US 30 along the Columbia.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/11 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The roads through Canada are lovely and well maintained. Fuel stops are reasonably placed, but fuel is expensive. Glacier is fantastic, as is Lake Louise and Baniff. Touring Glacier National Park is best done in the toad or you can hop the "red cars" which travel up over around and through the park on a regular schedule, offering a scenic trip with a well informed driver.
We stayed in West Glacier at St.Marie KOA and then traveled up into Canada stopping at Lake Louise, then on to Baniff, west and down back into the USA.
Wonderful trip.
Happy Trails.

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/11 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Roads and Routes to RVing in Canada

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

five'er

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/11 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edit..Delete - You're on the wrong (other) side of the rockies..

We've got good roads through there.. just stick to the paved ones and you should be fine.

* This post was edited 12/12/11 06:44am by five'er *

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/11 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep in mind that there are 2 Glacier National Parks, one just west of Lake Louise on the Trans Canada Hwy, the other well to the south on the US side.

One obvious route to LL from Portland is I5 north to Canada, and Hwy 1 east. Rogers Pass in the Canadian Glacier NP is one of three passes you cross. Others are the Coquihalla Pass (technically on Hwy 5), and Kickinghorse Pass (right before LL). My judgement is that they are equally difficult (or easy), all heavily used by trucks and RVs, and all scenic. I would get a multiday park pass in Revelstoke, and take time to stop at numerous short hikes along the climb to Rogers Pass, as well as the visitor center at the pass. Also consider stopping at sights along the Hwy as it passes through Yoho NP - though some of these ones requires driving a smaller vehicle a ways.

If the OP instead intends to head east first - I84, and then US395 to Spokane, there are still several choices. US95 goes to north to the border, and 95/93 continues north to Radium Hot Springs, where 93 enters Kootenay NP and then goes north through Banff to Jasper. 93, the Icefields Parkway is must drive. On Google maps I84/US395/95 is the shortest.

The OP could also visit the west side of US Glacier, and then continue on US93 to Canada. Or, they could pass around the south side of Glacier on US2, visit the east side, and continue north to Waterton NP, and on to Kananaskis Country (Alberta parks), and Banff. This adds about 300 miles to trip.

A loop trip could easily include both Glaciers.

Except for the details of visiting the US Glacier, most places on this trip are well discussed in the Canada/Alaska section.

* This post was last edited 12/12/11 01:05pm by paulj *   View edit history

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/11 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in Portland and went to Lake Louise twice from there - you'll have to take Route 2 around Glacier. Be sure you plan for time spent at the boarder if bring a rig - and don't bring any firewood into Canada - they'll make you dump it (bark beetle). We have info on our blog (link at signature block) about out time at LL and surrounding area - might be of help to you - simply look on the index and click on the topic(s) that work for you. Enjoy your trip!

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Lake Louise, Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: