|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Plate Glass Window cuts client

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don't think commercial windows *have* to be safety glass??

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I have an incident with "pedal missapplication" in my truck, take out a cinderblock wall, crawl out of the wreckage, and one more cinderblock falls on my head, can I sue because the wall was not constructed of steel reinforced concrete in order to avoid that? Obviously it should have been.

ERS

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/11 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

If I have an incident with "pedal missapplication" in my truck, take out a cinderblock wall, crawl out of the wreckage, and one more cinderblock falls on my head, can I sue because the wall was not constructed of steel reinforced concrete in order to avoid that? Obviously it should have been.

You could if it was in violation of the code. And you would probably win.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/15/11 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

southernkilowatt wrote:

Doug4.7 wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

But then again who knows, maybe they'll send the lady a bill for the broken glass.
Okay, that's funny!

No not funny. Sad. My manager asked me to ask the branch did anyone collect her insurance information. Now thats sad. I found out that she is a resident of a local resthome, so I told my manager no she did not have any insurance, it was an ACCIDENT, she did not do it on purpose, worse than that she got hurt. If it had been somebody that did it intentionally then I could see going after them to pay for it.
I'm glad I put the plywood up, as of yet nobody has come to replace it. I did get to talk to the contractor today and asked for safety glass for the replacement. At least next time hopefully nobody will get hurt.
(Now this is funny) last year this same branch had a client get mad (for some reason who knows?) and stormed out the door and SLAMMED it as hard as he could. The door WAS safety glass and shattered into a bajillion little pieces. BUT, there was an off duty police officer waiting in line behind him, and needless to say he got a free ride in a police car. The insurance company did make him pay for that one.

No, you don't want to send her a bill. The best thing to do is for your insurance company to be very nice to her and offer to pay her medical bills. Hopefully she won't hire a lawyer and sue as it will cost everybody a lot of money then whether she wins or loses.

Doug4.7

Hartselle, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

WE are allowed to sue anyone for any reason in this country. I am sure that has happened.

southernkilowatt

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug4.7 wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

But then again who knows, maybe they'll send the lady a bill for the broken glass.
Okay, that's funny!

No not funny. Sad. My manager asked me to ask the branch did anyone collect her insurance information. Now thats sad. I found out that she is a resident of a local resthome, so I told my manager no she did not have any insurance, it was an ACCIDENT, she did not do it on purpose, worse than that she got hurt. If it had been somebody that did it intentionally then I could see going after them to pay for it.
I'm glad I put the plywood up, as of yet nobody has come to replace it. I did get to talk to the contractor today and asked for safety glass for the replacement. At least next time hopefully nobody will get hurt.
(Now this is funny) last year this same branch had a client get mad (for some reason who knows?) and stormed out the door and SLAMMED it as hard as he could. The door WAS safety glass and shattered into a bajillion little pieces. BUT, there was an off duty police officer waiting in line behind him, and needless to say he got a free ride in a police car. The insurance company did make him pay for that one.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/11 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The thing about the Uniform _____ code is: It's a myth.

Each and every community, each and every state, enacts a variation on it so as you move from place to place said code is anything but uniform.

If the Uniform Code says that glass that goes down the ground next to a door has to be safety glass, how many communities do you think would go against that?

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/15/11 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uniform building code says that all door glass must be tempered glass as well as any windows next to a door within 24 inches of the door. Windows within the 24 inches do not have to be tempered if the window sill is above 5 feet off the floor or walkway.

Tempered glass breaks into little tiny pieces and usually does not injure. Safety glass is something different and is applicable to vehicles usually

Check local building codes because each county, city or municipality can write more stringent builing codes than the one applied across the u.s.

Jacksons

columbus,ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

southernkilowatt wrote:

Doug4.7 wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

Okay, that's funny!

No, you don't want to send her a bill. The best thing to do is for your insurance company to be very nice to her and offer to pay her medical bills. Hopefully she won't hire a lawyer and sue as it will cost everybody a lot of money then whether she wins or loses.

I guess that just proves
that there are laws, and there is justice....not the same thing

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The thing about the Uniform _____ code is: It's a myth.

Each and every community, each and every state, enacts a variation on it so as you move from place to place said code is anything but uniform.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Plate Glass Window cuts client
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: