RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: HIGH Mileage Ford V-10 'C's?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> HIGH Mileage Ford V-10 'C's?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for input as to HIGH MILEAGE class 'C' motorhomes. NOT/DON"T wand to hear about low mileage units (like mine).

Would like to know year, model of chassis (E350 or E450), length of coach, and what has been done to the driveline and chassis, to keep it running. Hopefully also the mileage at time of those major repairs.

I'm trying to get a handle as to 'expected' life of the major stuff.

How many of us have a rig with over 100K?

If your's has less than 100k, it's not of interest to me, UNLESS it's had Major repairs. i.e. a front end rebuild, or a differential rebuild.

Also V-10s only please. I'm trying to get a handle on the 'New Generation' of power trains.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This should be an interesting topic. Nice post!

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My next project if there are not a lot of people who have them, is to try to locate the RV Salvage yards and see what they have in Their inventories.

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rehoppe wrote:

I'm looking for input as to HIGH MILEAGE class 'C' motorhomes. NOT/DON"T wand to hear about low mileage units (like mine)...
Another way of asking the same question might be who can beat the number of miles of this one and then provide a history of work done. Tried to do a search on the internet and found it difficult to locate high mileage ones as the normal search is for low mileage. Here are a few for just an idea.

212,000 miles on a Class B
127,360 miles on a Class C
99,000 miles on a Class C

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

musicmole

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one in 2000(new). Put 120,000 on it. Changed the oil(3,000mi). E450. Ran like a charm. Used it like a jeep. The chassis was great the box okay. It had some leaks when it was new, so that doesn't count. Stripes faded after a few years. It was outside in Florida when I wasn't on the road with it. Used it 4 months a year. sold it in '06. It was a Thor/Chateau. Bought a Safari Sahara DP. Like it too. Have a fondness for that "C" though. That's all I have........

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi rehoppe,

There was a thread that linked to someone who claimed 1.3 MILLION miles on a v-10, before it was toast.

I'm not high in miles yet--but I do roll on 1200 miles per month on average. So far repair maintenance has been:

one oxygen sensor
one mass flow air sensor
one wheel alignment

As the unit is an E-450 from 2004 routine preventative maintenance has included:

oil changes
two air filters
coolant system flush and new Ford coolant
replace serpentine belt
transmission oil change
one set of wiper blades

Mileage when purchased 4350. Currently just shy of 50,000. I track all expenses except food "to the penny".

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

Judgerr

Ilinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/11 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link to the "Million Mile Van"

Click here

2000 F350 6.8 10 Cyl SRW Replaced by 2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!Don't act stupid- We have congress for that!

fortytwo

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000 V-10 in a 35' Class A: Usually travel at 25,000 CGVW

Installed full BANKS at 1500 miles
Installed synthetic oil and dual filters (normal plus bypass) at 7,000
Installed synthetic in tranny at 15k miles
Had to replace 5 coils at 45k miles
Oil samples tested at 7500 mile intervals & filter changed; Oil usually went 45k miles before changed advised.
Spit a plug at 126k miles; had stainless inserts installed in all cylinders, valves ground, water pump replaced (major teardown is usually required for spit plug). No visible wear on cams.
Engine should be good for at least 250k miles.

Manifold bolt failures are pretty common with standard manifolds. Have only had one on the BANKS headers - at 115k miles.

V-10 engine will be last thing to go on an RV!

Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine's not a C, but combines weight is usually 22,000 combined, up to 25,000 and with just as much wind drag.

I change oil about every 10,000 miles, and do a trans service every 100,000 (I'm past due now). I change plugs every 65,000 because the Predator tuner makes them wear faster.

It needs a new starter relay and front o2 sensors every 150,000.

Radiator burst at 265,000 miles. I continued to tow 300 miles home.

Got a camshaft sensor code at 310,000. Replace it with a Napa sensor. New senor threw a code a week later. Put old sensor in after cleaning it, and it's been fine since then.

My differential carrier split in half last month around 315,000 miles. I'm already running the E450 carrier. Drove home about 250 miles this time. Don't know why it busted, but I will admit I don't use the rig gently. This was by far the most expensive repair I've done.

I had a new Ford tracloc carrier put in. If it breaks again, I guess I'll have to go to a bigger axle.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/11 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Judgerr wrote:

Here's a link to the "Million Mile Van"

Click here

I think this supports 1/4 million miles out of most any gas truck engine before the oil plan or valve covers will be required to be removed with 2x of that amount being recorded all of the time. Few Class C MH's are going to be driven to EVER 'wear out' the engine but lack of use and service are the MH owner's main concern.

So in a functional sense mileage of a MH is NON issue.

A worn out engine can last a long time. 50 years ago while the life in miles were lower for many reasons as long as they had enough compression to start and run they were still used.

Have seen a few that would roll when parked in first gear on level ground if the wind was blowing hard.

Now if the roof would never wear out like the engines will not wear out MH ownership would be more simple.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> HIGH Mileage Ford V-10 'C's?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS