|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> motorcycle carrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
wood207

florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/11 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can I carry a large Harley Davidson (about 800 pounds) on the back of a 5th wheel or will it void the 5th wheel warranty? Does someone make lifts to carry big bikes on the back of a 5th wheel?

SH

Lynden, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/11 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it is much to heavy for a frame mount carrier and from what I read it will void most frame warranties. You would be better off to consider something like the Idaho Tote or the Swivel Wheel trailer in my opinion. Not sure if these won't even void a warranty.

Best Wishes.

2011 Heartland Big Country 3450TS
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo
Heartland Owners Club - Washington Chapter Leaders

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/11 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way. The frame isn't designed for that kind of a load. Most companies won't even let you put a hitch on the back.

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/11 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

No way. The frame isn't designed for that kind of a load. Most companies won't even let you put a hitch on the back.

B.O.

X2

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Camps with Critters

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/11 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wood207 wrote:

Can I carry a large Harley Davidson (about 800 pounds) on the back of a 5th wheel or will it void the 5th wheel warranty? Does someone make lifts to carry big bikes on the back of a 5th wheel?

It will likely void your warranty, very few manufacturers allow this especially for a heavy bike. The rear portion of most 5er frames are only made to support trailer weight. Putting something that heavy on the rear can also adversely your pin weight, you need at least 15% of the trailer total on the pin for proper handling & control.
That being said there are options like a swivel wheel or Idaho tote trailer behind the 5er which reduces weight actually put on the trailer. If you go with one of these options be sure to find a good hitch maker that can create a hitch that helps spread the weight over a large area of the frame rather than bolting something to the rear of the frame.
Extreme option is doing something like I have done with a truck that carries a car and tows the trailer, granted it is a single purpose vehicle but I have less wrapped up in it than a new dually and it is way more capable.

05 Freightliner Century with Smart Car on the back
2010 Spacecraft 44.5 ft with a fully stocked bar-room
The Critters: Boogie & Jack (2 great dogs)

tkarvelis

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/11 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be able to carry it on the front of the truck.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/11 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This thread is interesting to me. I have a 30 foot travel trailer and am looking for a motorcycle carrier lift for the truck bed to carry a 700+ pound road bike. One reason I have the TT is to be able to carry things in the truck bed. I am interested in anybody that knows of a good loading device for the bike to load it into and out of the truck bed. Thanks.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

Camps with Critters

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/11 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Quote:

This thread is interesting to me. I have a 30 foot travel trailer and am looking for a motorcycle carrier lift for the truck bed to carry a 700+ pound road bike. One reason I have the TT is to be able to carry things in the truck bed. I am interested in anybody that knows of a good loading device for the bike to load it into and out of the truck bed. Thanks.

Yes, Click here!

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/11 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, will look into Rampage ramps.

skylos

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/11 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Quote:

http://www.mountainmaster.net/motorcycleloadingsystem.html

http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/rampage/

And there are more too. Google is your friend.

I've even seen one made of welded tubing and hydraulics that held the motorcycle level the whole time, a platform that lowered down to the ground behind the truck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> motorcycle carrier
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS