RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: new truck.. gas or diesel ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> new truck.. gas or diesel ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ordually

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I concur on the gas engine for your towing. For towing medium-to large sized loads fairly infrequently, the economics of running a gasser are compelling, and you'll have plenty of performance for towing 6K.

Depending on the number of people in the cab, if you toss 1000lb in the bed (in addition to the hitch weight) you might want to check into a 350/3500 to increase your payload. Post some specifics if you'd like more help on calculating useful payload.

2005 F350 SRW V10 4.10 CC LB 4x4; BW Turnover ball; LineX
2011 Sequoia 5.7L 4.30; Tundra Towing Mirrors; LT 275/65R18 C Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on 2nd set of wheels
2005 Nash 22H TT

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For you, gas.

For me and my 19.5k....diesel.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well you certainly shouldn't need the extra towing power of the diesel since your trailer is within the weight range suitable for almost ALL of the half tons out there. Paying all the extra money for the diesel AND the extra for fuel wouldn't make any sense to me.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I have a '02 6.0 chev CC with 4.10 gears. I have a 25 ft tt and my SIL has a 30 ft tt and he pulls it with a 02 chevy CC diesel with 3.73's. We pulled down the Columbia river on the Washington side and we both gassed up in Vancouver wa. By the time we got to Umatilla, which is in eastern Oregon, I was down to fumes in the gasser, he still had a half a tank of diesel both trucks had 26 gallon tanks. To me it's a no brainer, I am getting a diesel next time.

That was a great theory,

ten years ago.

* This post was edited 12/26/11 09:43pm by surveyorjp *

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a '02 6.0 chev CC with 4.10 gears. I have a 25 ft tt and my SIL has a 30 ft tt and he pulls it with a 02 chevy CC diesel with 3.73's. We pulled down the Columbia river on the Washington side and we both gassed up in Vancouver wa. By the time we got to Umatilla, which is in eastern Oregon, I was down to fumes in the gasser, he still had a half a tank of diesel both trucks had 26 gallon tanks. To me it's a no brainer, I am getting a diesel next time.

Sparky69

Brighton, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you never plan on getting another truck I would spend the extra money for the diesel. If you are like most people and are planning on trading up for a newer truck down the road I would get the gas motor. I bought a 2006 Dodge 3500CTD because I figured it would be the last truck I would buy, then I got my toy hauler and it wasn't enough truck! Now I have enough truck and will never have to trade up.

1998 Freightliner Century C120, Cat C12, 10 speed, 72" Condo sleeper
2006 Forest River All American Sport 385 CKTS
2008 Harley Davidson Road Glide

Sluggo54

Madison, SD/Livermore, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/11 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The nearest station to which I sit, in Rockport, TX, has diesel priced $.86 over gas. That's almost a 30% premium. Unless I were really pouring on the miles, I wouldn't even consider diesel now. The initial cost difference, the continuing fuel premium, and the potential for megabuck repairs make it an unappealing alternative - for me, in my circumstances.

Sluggo

DH = Bruce, DW = PK, DD = Maggie (Lab, Pointer, Viszla)RIP 4/13/2007
Apprentice Princess = Kaia Grace (Blue Heeler - Wire Haired Terrorist)
TV = 2005 Chev CC LWB Max & Allie
5'er = 2005 Excel R30CKW

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/11 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently myself own a 2008 Ford F250 6.4 Diesel. My brother in law owns a 2009 Chevy 2500 6.0 Gas. This past summer we did a few trips together, and yes I can tell you for sure without a doubt my diesel would pull circles around the gas engine. However, the fuel economy while towing isn't that large of a difference.

If I could today purchase a F350 SRW 6.2(Gasser) and break even on the deal I would sell my truck for the gas engine in a heart beat. For some people it makes sense to own a diesel, I find myself wanting the simplicity of the gas engine.

Take into the consideration that diesel's cost more to maintain, and "if" they break they can be spendy. I would look into what your normal uses would be. If I were just using my truck as a toy hauler, I would find an older pre-dpf diesel and park it. If it's a daily driver I would purchase a gas engine and just accept the fact that you wont be winning races up hills but you will get there, safely.

However yes my diesel currently gets much better mpg unloaded than my gas counterparts. But that was after deleting the DPF, and putting a tuner on it, which does void factory warranty if you have one. The mileage gains were not huge by any means. In the end I think mileage wise the new 6-speed transmissions are keeping the fuel economy close to the diesels with DPF equipped systems. So the biggest question is are you fine taking a little more time to get up a hill?

2013 F150 Ecoboost, FX4, Crew Cab, Max Tow, 402A Package "loaded"

dreeder

Castle Rock, Co

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

For you, gas.

For me and my 19.5k....diesel.

Mav

19.5k...Yep, you really have no choice but diesel when towing that heavy.

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 12/26/11 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sparky69 wrote:

If you never plan on getting another truck I would spend the extra money for the diesel. If you are like most people and are planning on trading up for a newer truck down the road I would get the gas motor. I bought a 2006 Dodge 3500CTD because I figured it would be the last truck I would buy, then I got my toy hauler and it wasn't enough truck! Now I have enough truck and will never have to trade up.

Is your new truck a gas or diesel?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> new truck.. gas or diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS