RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Need oven troubleshooting advice (with pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need oven troubleshooting advice (with pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everything worked for me, refer, hot water heater, burners on stove, but the oven wouldn't operate correctly. Took it out and over to an RV dealer. He had it for a week and couldn't find anything wrong. Took it back home, put it in the RV and same thing the oven wouldn't work corr3ectly. RV dealer had me bring in my regulator. The regulator worked OK, just not quite enough pressure to operate the oven. It had worked before. Don't know why the regulator pressure dropped. I replaced with a new regulator and had the pressure adjusted correctly. Never a problem after that.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I will take it apart and clean it all first. If that works--great!

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I cleaned the pilot assembly, safety bulb and orifice to the burner. Used a bit of cleaning fluid and a small air compressor to blow through the devices. Cleaned the bulb with a bit of steel wool in case it had corroded. Unfortunately still a no go. Now I should either get the thermostat or the safety valve or a new regulator! Sounds like I am still throwing parts at it unless I take it into an RV repair shop. The easiest thing to replace is the safety valve. I already took that apart. Can order for $55 if I buy a dishwasher repair book (or some cleaner or something else). Think I'll try it. This will probably nickel and dime me to death, and then we won't use the oven much anyway! Talk about stubborn.

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

The TSTAT is what causes the pilot to go to the larger flame to turn on the oven burner. Your Tstat is the problem. Doug

That's the point, Doug- the pilot is getting larger, so the thermostat is working. It is the safety valve that is not opening.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey me again. I ordered the new safety as it seemed the most likely problem given that the oven came up to temp once and then would not light again. So new safety just installed and same behavior.

I thought for sure when the 350 temp registered for so long that the problem was fixed, but NO it got stuck again.

So now I'm thinking the next thing to check is the regulator based on WyoTraveler's experience. Question is how do you measure the pressure coming out of the tank? What is is supposed to be?

I didn't think it was the thermostat because I am getting the high flame, in fact it is turning the safety's bulb bright red but still no burner flame. With the new safety, the burner flame I get on first light is all blue and not flaring anymore--I suppose that is something.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, thought I would Google it and found this right away. I guess I'm going to have to get some tubing and try this!
Make your own manometer!

railrode1

Charleston, S.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your pilot flame make little popping sounds while the oven burner is heating up? I had to add a piece of foil around the pilot air mixture to get it to stay lit during oven operation. Somehow the oven burner would make it go out.

2009 Sandpiper 345QB 39'
2011 F-250 Lariat CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I have concerns about propane pressure/regulators etc I just take the rig down to the Suburban commercial propane dealer I use to normally fill the tanks -- they usually figure out what's wrong and fix it often with no charge. Something to consider. I would never consider making my own propane pressure devices - life's too short.

Kevin

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

When I have concerns about propane pressure/regulators etc I just take the rig down to the Suburban commercial propane dealer I use to normally fill the tanks -- they usually figure out what's wrong and fix it often with no charge. Something to consider. I would never consider making my own propane pressure devices - life's too short.

Yeah, you are probably right. We fill up with propane at the local gas station or UHaul. Don't think they would service the regulator. I'll look around for a commercial dealer. Thanks

Thought the homemade manometer idea was kind of cool though.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 12:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

railrode1 wrote:

Does your pilot flame make little popping sounds while the oven burner is heating up? I had to add a piece of foil around the pilot air mixture to get it to stay lit during oven operation. Somehow the oven burner would make it go out.

The pilot doesn't go out, it stays in the "high" mode which means the thermostat is telling it to light the burner, but the burner is not lighting after the first time. Weird behavior--hardest to track down I guess.
I wish it had been the safety because that was easy to replace and only about $50. It felt like I knew what I was doing until it didn't fix the problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Need oven troubleshooting advice (with pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS