|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> wet bolt help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
disneyrv

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/11 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed dexter wet bolts and heavy duty shackles today on our 5th wheel (well one side anyway). I know they will outlast the thin dry OEM ones. I do have one issue, I can not get the top bolt on each side of the equalizer to take grease. It is not the zerk fitting and I pumped grease in the bolts before installing to make sure they where clear. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/11 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you place the hole in bolt horizontal when you pressed the bolt in?

Jack each axle up at the frame taking the load off of spring pack and try greasing again.

disneyrv

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/27/11 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Did you place the hole in bolt horizontal when you pressed the bolt in?

Jack each axle up at the frame taking the load off of spring pack and try greasing again.

The bolts were already pressed into the one of the shackles wiht the hole horizontal; I don't recall if I put them pointing to the back of the trailer or front.

I tried jacking up the axle and the frame in differnt combinations to see if chaning the load made a differnce. Still no grease going in.

Chief 2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may have to rotate the bolts with weight off the suspension to get the grease in.

2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chief 2 wrote:

You may have to rotate the bolts with weight off the suspension to get the grease in.

I have read several post about this problem over at the HH Forum. This is how most solved the problem.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem when I installed mine, even though I installed the bolts correctly. Fortunately, when I installed them, I had already slathered grease on them. The next year, when I used the grease gun, they took the grease.

I think sometimes the fit is just a little too tight to get the grease in. All it takes is a very slight amount of wear to straighten it out.

ERS

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

disneyrv wrote:

Installed dexter wet bolts and heavy duty shackles today on our 5th wheel (well one side anyway). I know they will outlast the thin dry OEM ones. I do have one issue, I can not get the top bolt on each side of the equalizer to take grease. It is not the zerk fitting and I pumped grease in the bolts before installing to make sure they where clear. Anyone have any thoughts?

When you tried them before installing, did the grease go in easily, or did you have to pump hard on the gun to get the grease to go through?

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)
Going soon: 2004 Crossroads Cruiser 28RL 5er

Cool Canuck

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did a suspension change on 1/2 dozen trailers last year. The first bunch went without a hitch and then we ran into this not taking grease issue. In our case part of the problem was the Zerk fittings. We couldn't get grease through some without a lot of force if at all. And some of the clearances were very tight and it helped to take some weight off. Having said that, you need a really good grease gun that will apply a lot of force and hang on to the Zerk.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is.

04 Everest 343L
2011 F250 PSD CC

SOLD - 01 F250 PSD S/C S/B
SOLD - 00 Jayco 313

Puddles

Lafayette, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duck wrote:

Chief 2 wrote:

I have read several post about this problem over at the HH Forum. This is how most solved the problem.
Don

The bolts have a serration around them that will be damaged if turned after they are pressed in. You might be able to press them out and then turn them, but very doubtful if you can advoid damage to the shackle.

HTML

ChopperBill

Colo

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had mine installed and when I tried to add grease I had the same problems with some on mine. I only had about 200 miles on it and was greasing in about 15 degree weather. Hope they will go easier with warmer weather and a few miles. I know they were greased when they were installed so I am not concerned now.

"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> wet bolt help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS