RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Portable Generators-Who's using what & pro's/con's

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Portable Generators-Who's using what & pro's/con's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TMBLSN wrote:

Garry,

It really doesn't matter how much it overhangs, as long as your CG is forward, if only by 1/4", of the rear axle.

You seem to have some weights. What are the weights of each axle?

I havn't had a chance to get axle weights yet, but I am pretty sure that my COG is at least at the rear axle, and probably forward a bit. If the weather and my time off allows, I hope to load it up soon, and take the kids to the mountain sledding for the day. But I will need to chain up the truck, and have the camper for both weight, and a warm place to come to, to warm the fingers, faces and toes. I know that originally the TC was built for an 8ft box truck, and original weight was around 1750 lbs dry. I have only built it to bare bones basic functional for the moment, so I think I am estimating heavy right now. Once I can go out to the city dump when they are open, I can get some real world weights of the camper. Thanks again! Take a look at the build up, and let me know what you think.
Garry in AK

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

77charger wrote:

Honda 3000 eu for my camper.Has plenty to run a 13.5 a/c and micro at the same time.Doesnt work too hard and is quiet.

Carry it on a front mount hitch on my 2500hd.So its out of way

JumboJet wrote:

Yamaha 3000iSE/B that has run for hundreds of hours. Very good on fuel. Weighs quite a bit. Very quite. (Picture is from previous Lance 1030).

I have a built-in Onan 2500 LP, but carry the Yamaha if I need long run times.

So here are two examples of "bigger is better" vice the 2000 and sometimes 1000 croud. I am curious, do you feel that the additional weight and hassle to move around the larger gennies are worth it over a smaller easier to move about generator? I have considered the larger ones, as they seem to be more readily available used. Then mount it to the front of the truck, except when I load onto the ferry, then I will have to move it into the camper to keep the ferry toll cost down. I am usually a fan of bigger-is-better, but when I would be moving it off the front, into the camper, and then back again on each ferry trip, I am wondering if I would be better off with one that would fit on a hitch haul under the rear overhang of the TC..... Thoughts????
Thanks again,
Garry

Star Gazer

Nicholasville, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should find both to see first hand, and pick up each. My Honda 2k is easy to carry and will run my AC at lower altitudes. 4,000' and up it struggles.

I have to agree that after it sits a long time it takes a few pulls to start, but after that it is fine. I treat the fuel but would be better off draining it when I know it will sit a long time.

2000 F250 PSD 4x4
2006 17' Casita FD (mobile observatory)
My Astronomy Pics

hugemoth

Bend

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someday when I'm rich I'll have a Honda or Yamaha but I'm poor so I have an $89 Harbor Freight 800 watt generator. My solar panel keeps up with electricity demands most of the time but occasionally the battery needs a boost in cloudy weather. The little HF generator is pretty quiet, easy to start, and runs the battery charger like it's not even there.

I tried a 1000W Honda inverter generator to run my big battery charger at home (off grid PV powered) but it kept kicking the circuit breaker. The 800 watt HF runs it just fine.

FolsomBrad

El Dorado Hills, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

small is beautiful

2010 Ford F-250 4X4 Diesel with 2009 Lance 845
Happijac Tie-Downs
Firestone Airbags
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Hellwig Bigwig Sway Bar

DiscoChicken

Lawrenceville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Honda eu3000. I love it.
Pros: super quite, gas friendly, electric start, runs ac and microwave.
Cons: HEAVY, initial cost, size.
I've owned 4 gens. This Honda is wonderful.

Adventurer/Ford

77charger

fullerton ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garryk6 wrote:

77charger wrote:

Honda 3000 eu for my camper.Has plenty to run a 13.5 a/c and micro at the same time.Doesnt work too hard and is quiet.

Carry it on a front mount hitch on my 2500hd.So its out of way

JumboJet wrote:

So here are two examples of "bigger is better" vice the 2000 and sometimes 1000 croud. I am curious, do you feel that the additional weight and hassle to move around the larger gennies are worth it over a smaller easier to move about generator? I have considered the larger ones, as they seem to be more readily available used. Then mount it to the front of the truck, except when I load onto the ferry, then I will have to move it into the camper to keep the ferry toll cost down. I am usually a fan of bigger-is-better, but when I would be moving it off the front, into the camper, and then back again on each ferry trip, I am wondering if I would be better off with one that would fit on a hitch haul under the rear overhang of the TC..... Thoughts????
Thanks again,
Garry

I thought about putting under the rear on acarrier but the honda was too tall and the other thing that worried me about it there is exhaust possibly coming into camper.As for the gen size i head to glamis alot,also have a toyhauler and where i camp i have to air down alot so i take a larger air compressor a 2000 will not start it but the 3000 will.On camper i dont have to lift it high either plus it can stay on the rack the whole time

Then at night i sometimes run some spot lights for camp the 3000 barely runs above idle here.My cousin had a 2000 last time and one light his gen was singing pretty good.But if his had very low load it was very quiet too.If i were to not worry about the listed above and just to charge batts and for a micro then a 2000 would fit me well.

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3000W Chinese genset thread

Official Unofficial CPE2000i generator thread

Boiley Generator

Happy Reading !

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

sleepywheel

Vancouver, BC

View Profile

Posted: 12/28/11 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I originally bought the Champion 3000 watt and modified it to get higher amperage out it from one plug but it's way too noisy. Now I use the Honda EU2000i which is much lighter and quieter.

Guess I have a generator fetish, just bought a Hyundai 7250 watt generator because it was on sale........

2009 Chev CC 2500HD 6L 4x4
2007 Palomino Bronco 1251SB popup

ksc8850

Brunswick, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/28/11 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Yamaha 2400 inverter...converted it to run on propane or gas...it runs the A/C, no problem.

Ram 3500 DRW CC, w/ Torklift tiedowns, SuperHitch, StableLoads, FastGuns, Airlift Bags and Wireless Compressor and Rancho 9000XLs. Real Lite HS-1810 TC. Starcraft 18' SuperFisherman Fishing Boat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Portable Generators-Who's using what & pro's/con's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS