|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Water Valve

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rbp111

Citrus Heights, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/11 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just had the black water valve replaced in my fifth wheel. It is the 3rd we have had to replace in the 8 going on 9 years that we have owned the trailer.

I asked the service writer why, as it seemed excessive to replace the valve every three years. His answer was that there should be water in the tank, keeping the seals moist. After I left the dealership I thought about it and it dawned on me, why does the other two gray water valves, which I empty more often than the black water valve, not fail?

Can anyone answer that question?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALL holding tanks should be stored with liquid inside. It is MORE important with the black tank because a dry tank means a tank with solids that have turned to stone and will tend to have odor and clogs because of the increased build up of deposits turned to stone.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

NanciL

Bakersville, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't sound right to me!
On my first trailer which we had for seven years, I never had a problem with either of the valves and both were emptied when we got home from snow birding and stayed in the hot sun all summer long.
The trailer I have now it has been three years with no problems.

jack L

Jack & Nanci

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm, tough to venture an opinion here without knowing why they were replaced to begin with. Leaking past seal? Broken cables or handles? Inquiring minds want to know.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

joelc

Hubert, NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I used chemicals in my tanks I also use one that has a lubricant. I don't buy the story of having water in the tank at all times. In the Winter that would cause damage. I do pour some antifreeze into an "empty" tank for the Winter.

If you valve leaks, do what I did with my last 5er. They sell a valve that attaches to the end of the sewer pipe. I worked this in conjunction with the RV valve and that solved any leakage.

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/11 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the manual for our rig it said to store the gate valves in the open position. My guess is with the gate pulled back into its sleeve that it protect it.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185

rbp111

Citrus Heights, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/11 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem was that liquid only was seeping past the seals. After a couple of days, it was quite a bit of liquid. I have a valve at the end of the drain pipe. That is how I know it (the black water valve) was leaking. I got home, and filled the black water with clean water. I made sure the other two gray water was empty. It did what I suspected, it leaked.

The valve was changed and fixed. It no longer leaks. It has nothing to do with hard stuff acting like stones. Every time I drain the tanks, I do so ensuring they are completely empty, only fresh water comes out. If I understand the service writer correctly, and it does not make any sense at all, I should have water in the tanks with chemicals at all times. I still wonder, it that is true, why the two gray water tanks don't leak after almost 9 years.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in a freezing winter climate and I have never kept the valve seals wet or moist - especially along the top, which would mean quite a bit of liquid.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience, water seeping past the seal has been caused by TP caught in the valve seat. Not sure what your drain/flush procedure is but since this happened to me I've always refilled the black tank after the initial dump so on the second dump there is a lot of water volume/pressure going through the valve to wash out anything that was caught in the valve after the first dump.

Jim2007

Greeley, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/11 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi rbp111; I have A 7 year old Forest River 5th wheel (flagstaff/this is a starter unit) and to date I have not had a problem with the dump valves. I always store the unit with the tanks empty and the valve gates closed. I live in Colorado which has freezing weather in the winter and warm to hot summer temps. Jim2007

TV: Dodge 2004 Diesel
Rig: 2004 Flagstaff 5th Wheel 30'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black Water Valve
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: