|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Advice on 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ploiselle

South Shore, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

ploiselle wrote:

What does the owners manual say?

I wouldn't rely on a Jeep owners manual as they are a ways behind and the dinghy towing guides as well. The OP would be better served by having this posted in the Dinghy section of these forums where we have members that know, cuz they have been there and done that.
Didn't we already have this conversation a couple weeks ago?
Happy New Year
Paul

* This post was edited 12/30/11 09:03pm by ploiselle *

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/11 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

dhansen871

Big Bear Lake

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/11 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading this post about how to tow the 2012 GC. My question is "Why does the key FOB need to be left in the ignition?" Also, I have a braking system that needs 12 volts to operate. I noticed that once I turn the vehicle off (as it says in the owners manual), the cigarette lighter does not have any power to it. Is this where it was written in this post where you need to have power from the Coach to the vehicle for power to operate the braking system.
Thanks

Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ploiselle wrote:

tropical36 wrote:

ploiselle wrote:

What does the owners manual say?

I wouldn't rely on a Jeep owners manual as they are a ways behind and the dinghy towing guides as well. The OP would be better served by having this posted in the Dinghy section of these forums where we have members that know, cuz they have been there and done that.
Didn't we already have this conversation a couple weeks ago?
Happy New Year
Paul

Every conversation has been and will be done over and over again and like all education, it usually takes more than once.
As for the manuals, Dinghy guides and Jeep for instance, some and Wrangler for one, indicate from their instructions, that they still have a steering lock, which went out prior to the 2010 models, I think.
Happy New Year and to the instruction manuals as well!

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Model 6350 on a 1997 Chevy P32
Chassis_7.4 Vortec Engine_4L80E Tranny_slide_tag axle.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dhansen871 wrote:

Reading this post about how to tow the 2012 GC. My question is "Why does the key FOB need to be left in the ignition?" Also, I have a braking system that needs 12 volts to operate. I noticed that once I turn the vehicle off (as it says in the owners manual), the cigarette lighter does not have any power to it. Is this where it was written in this post where you need to have power from the Coach to the vehicle for power to operate the braking system.
Thanks

Once you get that thrashed out, consider using a surge brake system from Demco that doesn't require any voltage. I would consider their complete system for your toad as well, if you don't already have usable equipment...READY BRAKE

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dhansen871 wrote:

Thanks

For a 11/12 JGC the key fob is removed after the t-case is in neutral.

To power your accessories you can still get power from the center console power port (pretty sure). But you will eventually run down the battery. The best way to do this is power the supplemental systems from the tow vehicle. There is a pin in the 7 way connector for this purpose. Or the manufacturer of the supplemental system would provide a harness for this purpose also.

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

rdalcanto

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to use the FOB so you can turn the engine off, after you put it into Reverse to confirm that you are in Neutral, without going into Park first. If you go into Park with the engine still running, you will grind gears. If you do this with the push-button in, you can't turn the engine off while in Reverse or Neutral. You remove the FOB when ready to tow. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

DanLefoot

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

Ok I'm here! And thank you bsinmich...

First issue: If it's a 2WD or has Quadra Trac I IT CANNOT BE FLAT TOWED!

Assuming it's none of those then yes you need to follow the procedure in the Owners Manual found in the "Recreational Towing" section for how to put the transfer case into neutral. And yes it will require removal of the Start/Stop button (very easy), then placing the key Fob into the switch directly. This is part of the process. You will be able to remove the key fob at the end of the process.

Any questions?

I bet you know how the Wrangler works as well. I wrote to the Jeep customer service dept and they told me to ask the dealer. Not much help there.
Can I assume the 2012 Wrangler does not have a locking steering column? So with transmission in park and transfer case and neutral I can remove the key. Correct?
Owners manual says to leave the key in the acc. position and remove the negative battery wire. Any idea why Jeep would say that if the steering column cannot be locked?
Thanks.
Dan

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 09:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DanLefoot wrote:

sch911 wrote:

Ok I'm here! And thank you bsinmich...

First issue: If it's a 2WD or has Quadra Trac I IT CANNOT BE FLAT TOWED!

Assuming it's none of those then yes you need to follow the procedure in the Owners Manual found in the "Recreational Towing" section for how to put the transfer case into neutral. And yes it will require removal of the Start/Stop button (very easy), then placing the key Fob into the switch directly. This is part of the process. You will be able to remove the key fob at the end of the process.

Any questions?

I bet you know how the Wrangler works as well. I wrote to the Jeep customer service dept and they told me to ask the dealer. Not much help there.
Can I assume the 2012 Wrangler does not have a locking steering column? So with transmission in park and transfer case and neutral I can remove the key. Correct?
Owners manual says to leave the key in the acc. position and remove the negative battery wire. Any idea why Jeep would say that if the steering column cannot be locked?
Thanks.
Dan

We'll wait on our expert for confirmation, but I can tell you now, that it's because the manual and consequently the dinghy charts haven't been updated in that regard since 2010 at least. I'm thinking that the steering wheel lock was discontinued sometime in 2009 and the 4WD system is command trac.

NorCal_Monaco

Santa Cruz

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all with Jeep Grand Cherokee and plan to tow it - WARNING.

I just took delivery of a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the 3.6l Pentastar motor. 200 miles on it now.

Had my Blue Ox gear installed, etc, etc.

I just towed the Cherokee from NorCal to San Diego on 1/8.

I followed the tow procedures exactly, and have been towing four wheel drive trucks for years. All very similar procedure; engine off, stick to neutral, press the neutral transfer case button, stays solid, start the truck, move the lever to reverse/drive to make sure it is disconnected, shut off motor and put in park, E-brake off. And with the Key and Go system, you remove the FOB from the hole (which btw is totally freaky for me but ok it worked fine; no steering lock).

Here is the issue. I stopped 300 miles into my trip and decided to cycle the transmission like you would other tow vehicles that cannot be towed long distances (just for prosperity sake to make me feel better). When I got into the vehicle I notice a rubbery burning smell, non-electrical. So I did my cycle to flow fluids and got everything back to normal tow position.

Hauled the Cherokee the rest of the trip to San Diego. When I disconnected, smell was stronger, especially when running the truck. Its origin is outside the vehicle and from the engine compartment as best as I can tell. I have smelled this before when towing my H2 and thought it was just tires not tracking perfectly.

The problem is I now notice a droning sound of sorts when driving the Cherokee that is unusual, a whirring revolution sound at around 2k rpm.

I have not driven the truck that much and I am questioning myself if this is a condition of the vehicle from towing or something that I did not notice before with the drive train. It is very noticeable.

I suspect I am going to drive it for a few days and see if it hangs around and then take it in to Jeep to have them investigate.

Jeep clearly advertises and supports flat towing behind RVs on the QII trucks. Even announced how the new transmission with the Pentastar has a special pump that flows fluids when towing.

FYI.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Advice on 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS