|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A Issues with Age

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/11 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking to purchase a used Class A diesel, 37 to 40 feet. There are older (8 plus years) class A's without very many miles. What issues do age alone (vs mileage) cause? Should I avoid vehicles that are over a certain age?

Nancy

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All Rubber and plastic parts are effected by UV light, they re prone to cracking. Electronics are dated, and if it has been in storage a long time the wake up syndrome will be a hassle.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the date code on the tires, have the belts and hoses checked. Look for signs of roof and window leaks. Look for delamination on the exterior.

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/11 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A MH in most cases is not going to have as many miles as an every day vehicle. On average most people drive there MH less than 6000 miles a year. When we were both working we only average less than 3000. Some a MH that's 8 years old can have 24,000 miles because they only were able to go weekend camping close by or make a few trips per year. We bought a 2004 with 20,000 miles in the spring and have had very few issues.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas or diesel your first concern with non-mileage related aging is anything rubber or similar synthetic materials. Tires, cooling and hydraulic hoses, engine belts, window and roof seals, suspension bushings and such. The materials dry out and basically turns to dust and losses it’s malleability. Tire crack and leak air, hoses leak, seal leak, belts break and so on. Avoidable with preventative maintenance, inspections, planning and budgeting.

Older coaches with low mileage desirability is a coin toss compared to higher mileage rigs. Some will say sitting is as bad or worse than constant use. Personally I feel there are too many variables involved with either to make a blanket judgment.

A good general rule of thumb is an older unit will cost less up front but with potential high maintenance costs, a two or three year old has been thru the warranty rework and a new unit may need a return trip to the dealer for post-sale punch list repairs. For a DP I would preferred a coach in the five to ten years range with an average mileage of around 5-7K per year.

Good luck with your search. It's a buyer's market so be picky and be ready to bargain to get the price range you can afford but is also fair to the seller.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

PyrateSilly

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got our coach this year and it is 18 yrs old with 90k miles on it. The things you need to look at are not the age or miles but how it was taken care of during the years.

Thom, Gascap and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale 40ft 300hp RV.
Our blogged repairs and travels

RVJimofOregon

Central Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/11 10:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ncrowley wrote:

I am looking to purchase a used Class A diesel, 37 to 40 feet. There are older (8 plus years) class A's without very many miles. What issues do age alone (vs mileage) cause? Should I avoid vehicles that are over a certain age?

Nancy

When I got my MH in 2005 (it was a 2000 and had only 16,000 miles I said good, as low mileage is good. This is true for a car but not for a MH. I think mine was used as a home and not as a RV except for one long trip. The generator had like 20 hours and little did I know it has to run under load for 2 hours per month.
I would like to have one that is used like every month.
A Diesel motor (as most gasser) will out live a body period. You can see a lot of million mile trucks on the highway but MH over 100,000 are rare. I was green about MH and made all the mistakes that a rookie can make. I was lucky as I did lick out and get a good rig that has treated me well.
Do a search on RV.net and you can find out a lot of good information.
RV Jim

Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all in the maintenance. If you find a coach that's 10 yo, used for 5,000 every year and scrupulously maintained you'll have a good unit.....and there are a lot out there at a decent price.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

glodal134

OHIO

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/11 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the obvious - Tires - roofing - window seals deterioration of rubber plastic etc. I think the big question is how much of the necessary repairs and or improvements can you do yourself ? Or will you have to take the coach to a dealer / repair facility - for HV/AC plumbing - electrical - Body work engine / transmission etc. This is what makes a older coach less attractive to some unless they have deep pockets.

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/11 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I concur with everything that has been said above...we also saw one that had sat for so long that the fuel turned to sludge, which resulted in the fuel tank having to be cleaned and the in-tank fuel pump needing to be replaced.

God Bless,
Kevin & Tracy
1993 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow, 30', Ford 460...Still on the road!
My Blog

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Class A Issues with Age
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS