RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Understanding weights (specifically 3500 mega cab)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Understanding weights (specifically 3500 mega cab)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DRW Mega Cab is rated lower than the Crew and Qaud cabs because it has the SRW spring pack. Plus for some reason Dodge/Ram though you might be carrying less weight in the short bed than those who have the long bed. The problem with the SRW Mega is the wimpy 6080lb rated axle. This is very hard to tow any decent sized fiver without exceeding the rating. Shoot, my wifes 1500 Mega Cab has the same axle rating.

Anyways, the DRW Mega Cab isn't as heavy as most think. Mine weighs in below 8k with full tank and 300lb hitch. Best part is it has the 9300lb rated axle and plenty of tire. Like I said, the spring pack is the weak part. But I have carried 3550lb pin + hitch on the stock springs and it rides just below level. I added airbags to bring my headlights back down to earth. There are very few states that will ticket for violating GVWR(If any, nobody has proven this yet). And I doubt any cops will attempt to pull you over because you have a DRW truck. Just not worth thier time. There are no states that ticket for GCVWR. It's a factory number only.

I tow 19.5k on my DRW Mega with 20psi in the air bags. Pin weight empty is 3550lbs and fully loaded with toys it's 3280lbs. Not to mention the ton of firewood, extra water and stuff I put in the bed. But I still have nearly 3000lbs of axle room left. Plus the brakes are 14.1"(just .4" less than the mighty F450) not to mention the built in exhaust brake is the highest rated in the business. The DRW Mega is a very capable truck. It just takes an educated buyer/driver to know what the difference is and what is safe and legal.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

If you look at the axle ratings and the tire/wheel ratings you will see what it can really handle as far as payload. For some reason the megacab's GVWR and resulting payload are extremely conservative from the factory. Four skins down on the rear and a 9000 pound plus rear axle says it can handle considerably more than the brochure payload ratings. As indicated previously on this thread the 3500 crew cab is almost a large and has a substantially higher gvwr/payload if that helps.

^^^ This & MadMav have it right.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dfb

gardnerville

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

easy way to do it,,, Get the truck weighed with the RV at the scale... If your under the GCVWR you can be sure you're ok...

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/11 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

The DRW Mega Cab is rated lower than the Crew and Qaud cabs because it has the SRW spring pack. Plus for some reason Dodge/Ram though you might be carrying less weight in the short bed than those who have the long bed. The problem with the SRW Mega is the wimpy 6080lb rated axle. This is very hard to tow any decent sized fiver without exceeding the rating. Shoot, my wifes 1500 Mega Cab has the same axle rating.

Anyways, the DRW Mega Cab isn't as heavy as most think. Mine weighs in below 8k with full tank and 300lb hitch. Best part is it has the 9300lb rated axle and plenty of tire. Like I said, the spring pack is the weak part. But I have carried 3550lb pin + hitch on the stock springs and it rides just below level. I added airbags to bring my headlights back down to earth. There are very few states that will ticket for violating GVWR(If any, nobody has proven this yet). And I doubt any cops will attempt to pull you over because you have a DRW truck. Just not worth thier time. There are no states that ticket for GCVWR. It's a factory number only.

I tow 19.5k on my DRW Mega with 20psi in the air bags. Pin weight empty is 3550lbs and fully loaded with toys it's 3280lbs. Not to mention the ton of firewood, extra water and stuff I put in the bed. But I still have nearly 3000lbs of axle room left. Plus the brakes are 14.1"(just .4" less than the mighty F450) not to mention the built in exhaust brake is the highest rated in the business. The DRW Mega is a very capable truck. It just takes an educated buyer/driver to know what the difference is and what is safe and legal.

Mav

This is your answer OP. We have had a few previous posts as to why the MC GVWR is lower, its the rear springs. Some of us have posted pic's of the difference. The unladen weight is a non issue, mine is right at 8k lbs today, about the same as Mav's MC.
Your on the right track, you'll need the dually for that trailer.

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a mystery to me how Dodge can give the truck a 9350 lb rear axle rating, while also fitting the truck with 6xxx lb springs... They seem to have forgotten that the springs are what is holding up the load.

01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I have never understood why the Mega Cab was so under rated. That 1000# of extra weight comes from the length right? My truck weights in at like 7058# if I remember right. that's with a full tank of fuel and well almost 1.75 drivers (150# driver WTH). Mine is a LWB SRW Quad Cab (160.8" WB) with the one ton axles.

From what I have been able to learn and this might not be totally correct, megacab is marketed as a people carrying truck, not a load carrying truck. It helps with states that require trucks to go through the scales when over a certain weight and to help keep registration fees lower for states that like to charge for the heavier trucks. For most towing a TT, the gvwr and the payload are almost moot issues; for carrying a truck camper or towing a fifth wheel the single rear wheel megacab numbers are not impressive.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say if you like the truck go for it ependydad...and enjoy...

2011 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
PullRite SuperGlide 5th Airborne

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

Mav

Mav I stand corrected thanks for the info. Sounds like Dodge short changed the Mega cab in the same way Ford Short changed the Excursion.
Both were given softer springs. Possibly to improve ride quality.
As someone mentioned they were marketed for their people carrying ability.
I sort of fudged the factory payload rating on my X in the same way you have with your Mega cab. Never had a problem however I'm not sure that makes it right.
I installed air bags and often compared my towing parameters to the F-350. My X was solid, and I never had a fear or worry. My relaxation factor while towing was very high. I was way within my axle ratings.
All the towing parameters are in place for a reason. Selectively choosing the ones that apply to you is generally not advisable. Again I have been guilty of it as well.

Personally I have come to the conclusion that towing with a combo that is within all of its parameters is noticeably better vs. using a combo that is within some of its parameters or maxed out on all parameters. Having a 500 to 1000 pound margin above tow ratings is even better.
Now I'm not one that believes the sky will fall if you exceed your ratings but I have come to learn your experience will always be better if you are within all of your ratings.
All of the physics involved in matching a combo cannot be examined in one all inclusive rating. Consequently we have a host of towing parameters. When we fudge a tow parameter we ultimately compromise the tow experience in some way. Too much fudging can lead to a safety issue, a little fudging maybe hardly noticeable. In the end the manufacturers have engineers analyze the vehicles and calculate the ratings. If we follow the ratings we more likely to have a properly matched combo than if we don't.
While I don't doubt your Mega cab does a great job a TV with even higher ratings would perform even better.
My comments are certainly subjective and are based on experience and the feedback you get when actually sitting in the drivers seat.

I am really impressed by the huge payloads of the GM and Ford 2012 models. Seems the RV and car companies are constantly pushing the envelope.In the end these beefed up ratings are delivering improved towing experiences no air bags or fudge factor needed.
We also know enough is never enough and someone will push the envelope
a tad further and compromise their towing performance by exceeding the improved factory tow ratings.

2019 Duramax w/hips,12 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/11 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

All of the physics involved in matching a combo cannot be examined in one all inclusive rating. Consequently we have a host of towing parameters. When we fudge a tow parameter we ultimately compromise the tow experience in some way. Too much fudging can lead to a safety issue, a little fudging maybe hardly noticeable. In the end the manufacturers have engineers analyze the vehicles and calculate the ratings. If we follow the ratings we more likely to have a properly matched combo than if we don't.
While I don't doubt your Mega cab does a great job a TV with even higher ratings would perform even better.
My comments are certainly subjective and are based on experience and the feedback you get when actually sitting in the drivers seat.

The megacab's 9350 rear axle rating is from Dodge. The axle manufacturer rates it at over 11,000 pounds. Four load range E tires on that axle will provide at least 12,000 pounds carrying capacity. So, Dodge already lowers the rating and gives the cushion of 500-1000 pounds or more that you are looking for. This truck can easily haul 4000 or maybe even 5000 pounds and still have a 500 pound cushion for you. The reason Dodge rates the axle lower is for warranty claims or so the dealers tell me.

GVWR is a function of how well a truck stops loaded to that weight. It is not an absolute limit on what the truck can handle. (For some reason Canada uses the gvwr as a value that is totally different than the US).

Compare the crew and mega cab trucks components, both share many of the same components, tires and axles. So if there is anyplace where the megacab cannot carry the same load as the 12,200 gross weight crew cab it is in the rear springs, a relatively minor upgrade. Otherwise loading a mega to the same gross cannot be stressing or damaging any components. It is basically the same truck with a slighly different bed and cab. And at 12,200 gross, you still have more than your minimum 500-1000 pound cushion. At 10,500 gross you have as much cushion or more than payload!

* This post was edited 12/31/11 03:43pm by jmtandem *

larry_kruzan

Pekin, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/11 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are the weight numbers listed for the HO Ram?

Larry and Debbie Kruzan

We never turn a corner without wondering in amazement at God's creation!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Understanding weights (specifically 3500 mega cab)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS