I may be able togo out to the MoHo on Wednesday before the GS's Cub Scoup meeting and try the measurements. I have been using the screw for the controller as my ground, cleaned the screw and measured the resistance, removed and reinstalled a new clean screw, reading from the step ground strap and the screw is 0.000, reading from the chasis ground to the screw is the same.
I see the logic in the voltage drop before the current rise, I'll look at that. We are leaving Thursday for a few days at our mountain condo and won't be answering any more posts till then. Our weather has been very mildin Mammoth Lakes and no one used the condo during the month of Dec. and yet our electric bill more than doubled over last year. I think the staff has set the temps too high and the heater has been on too much. Going to install a digital thermostat that has a non-freeze setting of 40 degrees and see if that helps. Talk to you guys after the 19th.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)
I think that I have solved my problem. About 1999 the steps were acting up and Benchmark RV talked me into an update kit which included a new magnetic switch, controller and motor. It fixed the problem but it was a bandaid approach by Kwikee and the parts were only used in that update kit. The motor and controller were not their standard motor or controller that they installed in new steps and use of that update kit was not long lived as new motors and controllers became available. When that motor died last year I had a hard time finding the replacement motor, in fact I could not find one so I did the next best thing and bought the closest thing and adapted it to work in my steps. It worked perfectly for about a month and then started malfunctioning as stated in my original post. I received so many great ideas and suggestions and tried them one at a time with no success but I did find on line an old post saying that someone found a direct replacement motor for their motor which happened to have the same part number as mine. In surfing I found the maker and that when Dorman quit making the replacement motor, ACI started making them and the local auto parts store carried them but because I did not know the OE use they couldn’t cross reference the numbers. Well to shorten this long story, the motor is from Ford F150 pickups of the 1992 to 1995 vintage and the part is an ACI lift motor #83094.
With this information I felt better and knew I could get a new motor if necessary but I was not convinced it was the motor. I didn’t fully understand how the motor assembly worked so I got my old motor out and started disecting it and found what failed on that motor and that I seem to have cause the current problem by using parts from both motors to make one that fit. The motor I took out had a fracture in the casting where the shaft that held the nine tooth drive gear was swedged into the casting and that one of differences between the old motor and the new was the gear stuck out too far and rubbed against another part of the assembly, so I had swapped it for the one in the old motor assembly. Therein lies the problem, there is too much play in the gear and it moves in and out of the assembly which allows the big driven gear to move and alternately applies and then relives pressure on the motor and the current rise is not linear but fluctuates and the controller doesn’t shut off.
I hope I am being clear enough in my description that you understand what I’m saying. I created my own problem by doing what we often had to do in the old days and we often did while on patrol in the Navy in order to complete our mission but restored to normal when we returned to port, I didn’t restore it and as a little wear occurred it passed the acceptable level of clearance and started to malfunction.
We’re off to our condo in the Sierra for a few days and when we return I will buy a new motor and reassemble the steps and hopefully be back in operation.
I had the same problem on a motor a little over a yr old.
Take the motor off and on the gear end is a small gear, take this gear off and remove 3 screws on the plate.
remove plate and there will be 3 small round bumpers.They are probably deformed.
Go to Autozone, in the help section there will be a Dorman replacement for these bumpers.
The function of these bumpers is to absorb shock to prevent stripping of gears.
I have had this problem twice and feel that the dorman bumpers could be defective but at Autozone they have a lifetime warranty.
* This post was
edited 01/13/12 06:45pm by kenj1 *