RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Tow Dolly or hitch for toad???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tow Dolly or hitch for toad???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mr. Coach

ND

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at picking up a low priced car to tow behind my RV but am not sure which way I should go. Should I get a hitch to hook up to my toad or get a tow dolly to drive on? I like the idea of a dolly for the reason of being able to drive a different vehicle on it if the need arises. Only downfall I can see with a tow dolly is haveing to move it around once at campground or location?? Any thoughts would be great.. Thanks.

To go or not to go, that is the question, "I think, Maybe"

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have done both and I can say that if I can't tow it 4 down I ain't going. The dolly was a pain to find a spot for when at home and in the CG. My daughter & I could load the car on the dolly in 15 minutes. When my daughter went out on her own and it was my DW & I it took us a lot longer and we sometimes would not speak for a while. Remember the dolly adds another 5-700 # to you towing weight. You need brakes on a dolly also.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal preference. I think a poll would show that 4 down is slightly preferred. It seems that many have switched from a dolly to 4 down (ourselves included) but not as many reported to have switched from 4 down to a dolly.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The third option of course is a small car on a trailer. This allows you to back up as well...something you will not be able to do with a dolly or four down. The downside is another registration and license. Storage is usually no more of a problem than a dolly as a half of it slides under the motorhome for storage.

Heres a smart car on a trailer (which is really small) but you get the idea)

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/12 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Coach wrote:

I'm looking at picking up a low priced car to tow behind my RV but am not sure which way I should go. Should I get a hitch to hook up to my toad or get a tow dolly to drive on? I like the idea of a dolly for the reason of being able to drive a different vehicle on it if the need arises. Only downfall I can see with a tow dolly is haveing to move it around once at campground or location?? Any thoughts would be great.. Thanks.

in addition to what you've already deduced a dolly (or trailer) adds unnecessary weight. if your toad *can* be flat towed then i think you're gonna find that method to be much faster and easier.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

joraz

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used a dolly once and hated it. The 4 down experience, however, is influenced by the tow bar you use. We started with one of those old ones that stays on the car; it was a pain. Then we moved up to a Roadmaster Falcon II which was much better. It would bind up sometimes though if you parked a little cockeyed or on an incline. Now we are using the Roadmaster All Terrain and this baby is sweet. No more binding and the integrated safety cables and electric is nifty. It takes me just a couple of minutes to hook up. Pricey tow bar but worth it!

Any standard shift Subaru is a good toad. Just put it in neutral and turn the key to accessory and off you go!
jor

95 Foretravel
Cummins M11 400
Allison 4060

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/12 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want an older vehicle that is great 4 down towing, inexpensive to install brackets, inexpensive to purchase, very versitile on road or off, seats 4 easy, enought cargo room for 4 sets of golf clubs, and extremely reliable. Think Jeep GC '94 to 2000.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

glodal134

OHIO

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

We have done both and I can say that if I can't tow it 4 down I ain't going. The dolly was a pain to find a spot for when at home and in the CG. My daughter & I could load the car on the dolly in 15 minutes. When my daughter went out on her own and it was my DW & I it took us a lot longer and we sometimes would not speak for a while. Remember the dolly adds another 5-700 # to you towing weight. You need brakes on a dolly also.

I think this post said it all. 4 Down is the way to go.

racer99

channahon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the contrary we Aud & I being 65 yrs young feel we can get around quite well so a dolly money wise was for us-We pull a 2007 Ford Focus automatic or a 2000 Ford Ranger 5sp which holds both our ATV's or our 1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 which needs the driveshaft dropped (pain in the but)-In our situation the Demco Dolly with surge brakes fit our needs-Takes us 5-10 minutes to load or unload and being retired we are not in a hurry anyway-dolly stays on our campsite with third wheel we roll it out of the way no lifting required--You'll find out everone has a different opinion so if you got lots a money to put a base plate on each car and can't get around good by all means go 4 down --Either way if you decide to go the other way there is some return maybe .50 on a dollar but thats better than nothing--If you want a used Demco search the craigslist and maybe drive some the prices are cheap if they decide to go 4 down--Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/12 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dolly for the most part is more trouble to use, but it can also be more versatile. The usage of a dolly will allow you to change which vehicle you use as a toad without additional costs, no such luck with towing 4 down. I tow 4 down and I also use a dolly, it all depends on what vehicle we want to use and our destination.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tow Dolly or hitch for toad???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes