RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Inconvenience of tcing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inconvenience of tcing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny but coming from years of Backpacking and working as a traveling sales guy I find that taking more gear than I can pack in two gym bags is just something I can't do. The wardrobes are always half empty and I am always finding something that the wife packed in a compartment when we first bought the TC yet have never used to toss out on each trip. The pantry is probably half empty as are most of the drawers. I can't see wanting a biger TC or anything like a fiver or toy hauler, heck I find towing the horse trailer to shows to be a big enough pain. The tc is for eating and sleeping, if its light out I will most likely be Hiking, Fishing or Mt Biking. I like the simplicity of just parking the truck where I want to stay, which for me means dry camping as I really don't like staying with 50 or more of my closest strangers at a full service campground. Might also be why I live out in the hills 15 miles from the nearest town, store, market, gas station, sidewalk or streetlight.

03 F350 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab long bed, 08 Lance 1055, Rancho XL9000, Air Lift air Bags, Torqlift tiedowns,stable loads, super hitch, 48" super truss, Toyo 285/75R16 Opencountry HT. Rickson Steel 19.5 rims on order front and rear Roadmaster Anti Sway Bars

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garryk6 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

Super_Dave wrote:

If storage is an issue with a TC, then the best tow behind storage is a boat!
No, no, no. The best tow behind storage is a Suzuki Samurai. You can't sight see San Francisco or the desert in a boat.

Wayne

Non no no, it's a flatbed trailer with dirt bikes + your storage.

You see? A TC works for any or all of these!
That is all good, and the Zuke can be on top of the flatbed trailer to protect your storage. Might even put the bike in the front of the trailer.

Wayne

Truck, S&S on its back, Trailer, Harley on the front, Scout behind it. Ready for anything.....priceless!

Kowboy! All you need is the boat up on top the Scout, then you have it all covered!!!!

Garry in AK

I've never been a boating guy (though I certainly enjoy it) but we've always figured if we ever got a boat, it would be a party barge (pontoon boat)......so my thought is the deck of the pontoon boat would haul quite a few dirt bikes and other gear.

JeffPritchard

Somewhere EAST of the Rockies!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

Funny but coming from years of Backpacking and working as a traveling sales guy I find that taking more gear than I can pack in two gym bags is just something I can't do. The wardrobes are always half empty and I am always finding something that the wife packed in a compartment when we first bought the TC yet have never used to toss out on each trip. The pantry is probably half empty as are most of the drawers. I can't see wanting a biger TC or anything like a fiver or toy hauler, heck I find towing the horse trailer to shows to be a big enough pain. The tc is for eating and sleeping, if its light out I will most likely be Hiking, Fishing or Mt Biking. I like the simplicity of just parking the truck where I want to stay, which for me means dry camping as I really don't like staying with 50 or more of my closest strangers at a full service campground. Might also be why I live out in the hills 15 miles from the nearest town, store, market, gas station, sidewalk or streetlight.

I completely agree. Less is more, more or less. This world needs a lot less more and a lot more less. I could go on, but that would be more rather than less.

Jeff Pritchard in San Diego
2008 Lance 1191 - 2005 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel (paid for)
Wilderness Photographer - Click here to see my wilderness images

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the fact that with a TC, I can pretty much go where ever I want, city or in the sticks. If anyone can camp there, so can I. I appreciate taking my TC to spend the night with friends and family, parking in their driveway or on the street. I do take it if the wife and I are going shopping all day. I still take stuff out of my TC. Just about every trip, I have more room, not less. I have a 11.5 foot TC with no slide, and really have no special interest in a smaller TC. I seldom remove it from the truck, and it sits in front of my garage loaded and ready to go. It keeps my beer cold, and provides me with a place to visit my friends and an outside toilet.

Wayne

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garryk6 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

Super_Dave wrote:

No, no, no. The best tow behind storage is a Suzuki Samurai. You can't sight see San Francisco or the desert in a boat.

Wayne

That is all good, and the Zuke can be on top of the flatbed trailer to protect your storage. Might even put the bike in the front of the trailer.

Wayne

Truck, S&S on its back, Trailer, Harley on the front, Scout behind it. Ready for anything.....priceless!

Kowboy! All you need is the boat up on top the Scout, then you have it all covered!!!!

Garry in AK

Does a Fish Hunder inflatable rate? If so we're golden!

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Hanna...R.I.P. Dixie we miss you
88 Ford F250-94 Alpenlite 29RK DL
96 Kawi Voyager XII 89K and climbing
71 VW Cabriolet-German Look

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

garryk6 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

Super_Dave wrote:

Wayne

Wayne

Garry in AK

I've never been a boating guy (though I certainly enjoy it) but we've always figured if we ever got a boat, it would be a party barge (pontoon boat)......so my thought is the deck of the pontoon boat would haul quite a few dirt bikes and other gear.

The trailer idea is great. But I prefer an Enclosed Trailer/Cargo Trailer, with a ramp in back and a 'walk door' on the side. Keeps the Truck and TC lighter, and the accessories, clean, organized, And 'out of sight'.

TC stays on the truck unless, the bed is needed for hauling something large.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rehoppe wrote:

The trailer idea is great. But I prefer an Enclosed Trailer/Cargo Trailer, with a ramp in back and a 'walk door' on the side. Keeps the Truck and TC lighter, and the accessories, clean, organized, And 'out of sight'.

My trailer plans are just the Scout sits exposed and the front will be enclosed with a side ramp-door for the Harley and extra storage area. I would love an enclosed trailer but think that would get heavy considering what I would carry.

TC pretty much lives on the truck now too.

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rehoppe wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

rehoppe wrote:

My trailer plans are just the Scout sits exposed and the front will be enclosed with a side ramp-door for the Harley and extra storage area. I would love an enclosed trailer but think that would get heavy considering what I would carry.

An additional reason for the enclosed trailer is. If someone goes fishing with me and I find that they snore louder than I. THEY can sleep in the 'spare' room. Throw in a cot and you're golden.

See,, I'm actually 'somewhat' civilized.

ROFLMAO!!

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

rehoppe wrote:

An additional reason for the enclosed trailer is. If someone goes fishing with me and I find that they snore louder than I. THEY can sleep in the 'spare' room. Throw in a cot and you're golden.

See,, I'm actually 'somewhat' civilized.

niftypkg

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One factor is age and companions to help you. At 75 I just couldn't do it.
After some camping experience what I have observed is that Motorhome users NEED that extra vehicle to travel convenientlt abs cheaply. Consider youself lucky to iwn a TC.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Inconvenience of tcing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS