|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Air leaking Door

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
budnelsen

Vero Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 99 Fleetwood Discovery, and the problem is a air leaking around the door when driving. I've tried new gaskets probem still presist. I found that the top alum. hinge was broken. I replaced the top and middle hinge from an after market manufacturer which were expensive but good. My problem still presist. I have ordered a new factory gasket and plan to have the hinges welded since the screw are loose in the alum. door frame. before I do this I would like to know if I am on the right track or are there other remedies. HELP, HELP, HELP....

IflyRC

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dum Dum. Seriously, there is a non hardening putty called dum dum that was used in the 60's and 70's around car window frames to help seal them. I am sure it is still available somewhere. Once you repair it again. Use the dumm dum to fill any gaps or low spots.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 83K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, ScanGauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad,Brake Buddy, Escapee

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

From what I have seen on some cars, trucks and Motorhomes. The doors begin to tilt a little bit form being open and the wind blowiing them open or closed. It kind of streches the doors and latches and hinges. I would make sure that your door is perfectly lined up, then go from there. If the door is out of alignment new gaskets will not fix it. I have had wind noise in cars and truck before,, and orederd OEM Gaskets, as aftermarket stuff just doesn't semm to fit as well. Our Motorhome has Sliding Windows on each side, and are perfectly quite. It seems that roll up windows are a bigger problem, but can be taken care of also. Hope it all works out for you. I know it can drive you nuts listing to the wind all day long. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

The Beave

Georgetown TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We experienced wind noise around our door also. We had prevoiusly applied a flexible self adhesive rain channel (camping World) across the top of the entry door to redirect water that would drain from the roof. The cross section of the channel looks like a lower case letter "b". The bottom of the "b" shape is about 1/2" in diameter and makes a little gutter. The vertical part of the "b" shape has the peel and stick adhesive.

I ran a length of the gutter strip vertically right next to the door hinge with the open area of the gutter facing the hinge. As a result the air flow was redirected over the hinge in such a way that the wind whistle went away.

The Beave
30' 1997 Beaver Monterey
(The shortest DP we could find)
2005 Honda CR-V
Remco surge brake

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Careful how the door latches. Typically the door has two catches as part of the latch. If the second latch is too tight, it will only catch on the first latch, and never catch the on the second one. My dad had this problem with his Allegro Bay when it was new from factory. The factory tried to fix it, they tightened up the latch even farther than it was. I found that by adjusting the catch outward, the door was then reach the second latch position and was tight. No wind sound. Seeing as the Allegro factory could not figure this out, apparently it is an easy mistake to make, and easy to fix, once you understand what is happening.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find most noise on mine comes in around the hinge side. I used some 2 inch wide tape from 3m to run down the outside edge. You can get it in various colors. The tape is flexible and seems to last a long long time. Covering the hinge gap side was a good start. I have added some more door seal foam from any hardware store. It is 1/2 inch wide and about 3/8 inch thick. I ran that around the edge. It is soft and compresses to the old door seal very well.
You might be able to adjust the post that the door lock closes on for a tighter fit too.

H/R Endeavor 2008
2013 Ford Edge toad
Full Timers

YC 1

Yuba City Calif./ Auburndale Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FormerBoater wrote:

YC 1 wrote:

I find most noise on mine comes in around the hinge side. I used some 2 inch wide tape from 3m to run down the outside edge. You can get it in various colors. The tape is flexible and seems to last a long long time. Covering the hinge gap side was a good start. I have added some more door seal foam from any hardware store. It is 1/2 inch wide and about 3/8 inch thick. I ran that around the edge. It is soft and compresses to the old door seal very well.
You might be able to adjust the post that the door lock closes on for a tighter fit too.

What type of 3M tape are you using?

Scotch Colored Plastic Tape

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=LFJXR6DZ4NbeN4BX5SJJFCgl

Copy and past this to try to go directly to the stuff.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I think the factory seal will help you out a lot. Sounds like you are in the right direction. You can get after market door sealers at home depot too if you need more.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YC 1 wrote:

What type of 3M tape are you using?

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Air leaking Door
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS