|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Salvage Title on Class C motor home

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
dahliarich

CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at a class c that has a salvage title due to "slight nose cone damage". The seller is the body shop that did the repairs.
Will I be able to insure this Class C with a salvage title?
Thanks
Dahlia

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each state has it's own rules regarding salvage titles.

Here in Illinois, only certified auto rebuilders can apply for a rebuilt title from a salvage title. There are inspections and special rebuilder licenses involved. If I owned a salvage title vehicle here, it would be hopless for me to drive it. The best I could hope for is to part it out. I heard it is near impossible to hire someone with a rebuilder license to go through the process for me.

If the motor home had a rebuilt title, that would be a totally different story. That is just like a clean title here. I could easily apply for a new (rebuilt) title "in my name" and get plates and insurance.

Other states are real loose on this subject matter. In West Virginia, you can plate and insure a vehicle without any kind of title. The title is required only to prove who owns the vehicle.

When it comes time for you to sell the motor home, you would have a lot of trouble as most people would shy away from the deal. They would be concerned of what really got rebuilt, and what was overlooked. Any such impact could easily pop seams elsewhere in the motor home, making water leaks in areas nowhere near the point of impact.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I insured a vehicle thru AAA with a salvage title no problem.but getting the salvage title was a mess if the seller has it talk to your insurer before you buy it

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Recycled El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

rustell

Mount Vernon Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would just ask my insurance company...
The problem with salvage titles is that people are hesitant to buy them,not knowing for certain the extent of the damage.I say...if you like the unit and are going to keep it for a long time go for it.Prices for salvage units should be 60%-70% of normal

classicdude

Effingham, IL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Illinois and bought a car once with a 'salvage' title. The bank freaked out when they saw the salvage title, but my insurance company had no problem with it and insured it just as any other vehicle. My damage was engine fire related though, and not structural related (wreck).

2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

classicdude wrote:

I live in Illinois and bought a car once with a 'salvage' title. The bank freaked out when they saw the salvage title, but my insurance company had no problem with it and insured it just as any other vehicle. My damage was engine fire related though, and not structural related (wreck).
Did IDOT allow you to plate the car with a salvage title? How long ago are you talking? They are real sticklers these days.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a "project car" sitting out by my shop that has a "salvage/rebuilt" Montana title. All the work in resurrecting this vehicle was done by my son and I. It is licensed and insured.

To the OP, you will have to comply with CALIFORNIA licensing and insurance regulations. The ONLY place you can get real answers is from CA DMV and your insurance agent.
Good luck.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little more weary on salvage titles. If you don't know why it was a salvage, it could be floods, wrecks, or major engine trouble. There could be leftover gremlins.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe “salvage vehicle” often means that the vehicle has been declared “totaled” by an insurer. I.e., the repair will cost more than the vehicle is worth. As we all know, it doesn’t take much these days for a vehicle to be “totaled.”

If I were younger, and especially if I intended to keep the vehicle for a long time (as I am wont to do), I’d take a chance on one after a good inspection by competent people. However, I’d prefer not to jump through the hoops to clear that salvage title, if that is even possible here in the Golden State.

As others have said, check with your insurance agent before doing more.

Just my $.02.

mobilefleet

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've bought lots of salvage title stuff. Salvage title doesn't mean total loss in all cases by any means. For example, if a vehicle is stolen and the ins. co pays out the total value to the owner, they are required to apply for salvage title. Lots of vehicles are recovered after being stolen, without a scratch on them. I've also seen ins. companies total out entire dealer inventory in a flood, even when hardly any cars were affected, only the dealer buildings were flooded. Simply a matter of having a state inspection passed for safety, and then get your rebuilt title. But check CA laws for all requirements

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Salvage Title on Class C motor home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS