|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Added Indoor LP Line for Buddy Heater

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not a thread to debate the use of indoor heaters, that has already been beaten to death in other threads.

ALWAYS USE PROPER VENTILATION WHEN USING A PORTABLE PROPANE HEATER INDOORS

When we boondock, we like to use our Mr. Heater brand Buddy heater. We have the mid size unit, the MH9BX 9000 BTU, not the Big Buddy. The Big Buddy is just too powerful for our 24' motorhome. The Buddy heater is designed for use with 1 pound propane canisters, but they are expensive. Walmart (and numerous other places) sells an adapter hose to allow the use of an external LP source, so we bought this hose.

We tapped into the motorhome's low pressure LP line by adding a "Tee" at the connection to the furnace. After reattaching the furnace line and thoroughly checking for leaks, we ran a hose out to where the end was accessible inside the motorhome. This end has a quick disconnect with a shut off valve, available at Camping World. This allows us to make sure the propane is off when we want it to be off.

The male end of the quick disconnect is on the adapter hose. The hoses tuck away nicely inside a little door that opens to the empty space under our oven. Whenever we want to use the heater, we open the door, pull out the hoses and connect them to the heater. There is enough length to allow us to place the heater in the kitchen area or the living area.

No more buying 1 pound propane canisters! Yay!

Yes, pictures would have been nice but it basically would have been a shot of the hoses and the heater... and we all know what they look like already. LOL

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How's it working?
It's my understanding that the Buddies work off higher gas pressure than that supplied inside an RV- or do you have it hooked up before the RV's regulator?

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

BillyW

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In fact I don't know how one could use them outdoors as they blow out so easily.

'97 F150 4X4
'04 Pioneer 18T6

denoel

Anywhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been using the large Buddy Heater in our 37' fifth wheel for about two years now when we boondock. I bought the extension hose and fuel filter and keep the 25lb tank outside. I run the hose through the bottom corner of the slide. Note: you do need to keep a roof vent open slightly due to the enormous amount of moisture these stoves will put out.

Fulltiming since 2010
2010 Montana Mountaineer 347TH
2007 GMC 3500HD Dually
2001 Harley FLSTS - (Heritage Classic)
LA Chock ( http://www.baxleycompanies.com/LAChock.html)
Honda 3000

edatlanta

Panama City, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a big buddy and I seem to recall it isn't approved for indoor use using other than the 1 pound canisters.

I use mine outdoors only.

Ed

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buddy Heaters are approved for indoor use, as they are equipped with the required low-oxygen shutoff valves necessary to attain that approval.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the filter is needed with certain hoses. Some have an oil residue that can clog the burner. There is a hose that can be used without the filter but I forgot the make or the material that it is made from that will not clog the burner. This is what I remember from taking to one of the Eng's at Buddy heater.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

How's it working?
It's my understanding that the Buddies work off higher gas pressure than that supplied inside an RV- or do you have it hooked up before the RV's regulator?

The Big Buddy has two connections, one for high pressure and one for low. The 9,000 BTU Buddy is only designed to operate on high pressure as it has an internal regulator.

Maybe the OP can give us some more info.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It works just fine on the low pressure system and no filter is needed since it is low pressure. Even on the low setting, it heats up the motorhome quite nicely.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried the smaller Buddy (California version thinking that would be "safer") and could only get it to work on high pressure of the small cartridge, not on my 10 lb. tank. It didn't ALWAYS work with the can either though so maybe it was defective. I returned it. Still think it is a good idea to have supplemental boondocking heat though. Just have not yet splurged on the more expensive Camco heater. Like your mods Jerry. Always helpful, thanks.

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Added Indoor LP Line for Buddy Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS