|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Trail Safety

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Other points to add to the list:

Always count the number of riders in your group (whether you're the leader or not). Assume that your leader forgot to count or can't remember the number. After you count, say the number aloud to someone near you so they can double-check. It really sucks to miscount, because you don't know if you're just an idiot who can't count or if you really lost someone.

When the group stops, count heads and verify you have everyone.

Stop at every fork in the trail to ensure that the riders behind you know which way to go.

You are responsible for the rider behind you. If the rider behind you gets lost, it's your fault.

If you get separated from your group, stop and wait for the riders ahead of you to double back and find you.

If the rider behind you is lagging or having trouble, slow down (or stop) so you can still see him/her. The rider in front of you will do the same until the group adjusts its pace accordingly.

Don't ride with anyone who takes his helmet and gloves off at every stop and takes forever to put them back on, because that guy is a tool and he'll be the one who gets your group into trouble, guaranteed.

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Diesel • 2005 Weekend Warrior FS2600 • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
The Edmistons

derwud

Pasadena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Don't ride with anyone who takes his helmet and gloves off at every stop and takes forever to put them back on, because that guy is a tool and he'll be the one who gets your group into trouble, guaranteed.

Wait, I think I know that guy!!!

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 Weekend Warrior FS2300
2 Quads, 2 Motorcycle and a '06 Rhino
1 Patient Wife, 1 Crazy child, 1 sweet baby.
RIP Bubba and Toby, we love you.

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post I've been doing the hand signs for years. But there a whole bunch of people that haven't a clue why your flashing them the fingers or fist. I'm going highjack your link and post it on a few other boards.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

derwud wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

Yep. We should have left that poseur in the bushes with his bike.

jasonlisan

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every single time we're on the trails we use hand signals, it gets hard though when you have more than 10 riders behind you. Always wait at a "Y" or "T" in the trail also so the riders behind me know where I'm going. Also stop every so often to make sure everyone in my group are still behind me.

Idahoan

Layton, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do the hand signals also, prob around 75 percent here know what they mean, not to bad. I was told it is a snowmobile thing to, so with snowmobiles being popular here also might be why ATVrs know it also. Our problem is we are usually in groups over 5, how do you signal 6-12 behind you?

My kids ride dirt bikes and I also taught them to pull over and stop when passing other vehicles, mainly cars. Pretty good habit as you never know how much attention others a paying, I know if my kids pull over and stop they are less likely to get hit by others.

We also follow the rule of you are responsible for the guy behind you. We all stop at intersection and wait for next guy.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD
2009 Eclipse Attitude 23LFS
2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450
2002 Suzuki 80JR
2008 Yamaha TTR50

2BLAZERS

KEIZER, OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

derwud wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

Kind of hard when it's my wife that does that....

2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4*4 Black dually Laramie 4.10 gears
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2011 Polaris Sportsman 550 XP EPS w/stuff
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 w/stuff
1977 K5 Blazer 1 ton modified
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid (her car)

thmterry

Ridgecrest, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Always count the number of riders in your group (whether you're the leader or not). Assume that your leader forgot to count or can't remember the number. After you count, say the number aloud to someone near you so they can double-check. It really sucks to miscount, because you don't know if you're just an idiot who can't count or if you really lost someone.

When the group stops, count heads and verify you have everyone.

Stop at every fork in the trail to ensure that the riders behind you know which way to go.

You are responsible for the rider behind you. If the rider behind you gets lost, it's your fault.

If you get separated from your group, stop and wait for the riders ahead of you to double back and find you.

If the rider behind you is lagging or having trouble, slow down (or stop) so you can still see him/her. The rider in front of you will do the same until the group adjusts its pace accordingly.

I wasnt thinking this direction but this is our groups unwritten rule(stop at every turn and wait for rider behind you)..and very important info so I added it to the story.
Thanks Dave

Terry, Vickie
Life Time CORVA members
Crew Cab Duramax 4x4, 2000 Kenworth T2000 Tow Vehicle
40DS Coachmen Adrenaline TH.
2006 Honda CRF450X
2001 Roadking
2009 Polaris Rzr

atfulldraw

Texas is home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2BLAZERS wrote:

derwud wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

Kind of hard when it's my wife that does that....

I feel your pain...

2013 Voltage 3905
2012 Ford 350 King Ranch DRW 4x4
3 Lacy Dogs, Kayaks, Polaris Ranger, Fly rods, kitchen sink

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't ride with anyone who takes his helmet and gloves off at every stop and takes forever to put them back on. Well if they do I've always have had fun when we stop to sight see and everyone is away from the toys to switch the helmets and gloves it's a great laugh!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Trail Safety
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS