|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Ellipticals

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much will I need to spend for a decent elliptical machine ? I've been looking a little and they range all the way up to $2000.00. I don't need all the bells & whistles (like plugging in an Ipod, etc) but I want something that works well. Should I look for one with a larger fly wheel ?

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Precor EFX 5.21si. Not sure what the current models are like. Uses an electro-magnetic mechanism on the flywheel. It is real smooth an simulates hills. I have had it at least 10 years, has held up well, no problems. I don't know the competition, but I think Precor is well respected.

I would go to Craigslist and search for Precor. Exercise equipment is one of those items that people dump at a big discount, usually in great condition because it was used very little.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/04/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The $2000 ones are designed for Gym type use where somebody is going to be on them 10 hours a day. You don't have to spend that much, but get a sturdy one that runs smoothly and you can control the resistance. They are a very good workout with low impact on the knees, ankles and back. They're great for us old people.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just recently purchased one for my daughter. You really need to go test them. They have different sizes, and depending on your size, feel different (or cause pain).

Once you decide, then you should start searching on price. My daughter decided that only the $1300 one did not cause knee pain. We found one at a Sears Outlet that was store demo at half-price.

She would have never used the others that we liked.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2011 Silverado 2500HD CC (6.0, 3.73)
previous 2001 Yukon XL (8.1L, 4.10)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS
previous - 2002 Dutchmen 31BH4DSL

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a cheap elliptical that was awful. With hindsight, it was because the stride was so short (15") and it was hard on my knees. When I joined a gym, I LOVED those machines with their 22-24" strides. Then started a new business, and wanted something for use at home.

My compromise? First, I was looking at "Sole" brand ellipticals - then discovered their less-expensive brand called Spirit. I bought a Spirit Esprit 5 on Amazon for around $900, shipped free. It has a 20" stride, canted foot platforms (takes a load off your knees!), a huge magnetic 30-lb (I think?) flywheel; and a nice basic program selection. The stationery handles have pulse-rate sensors in them which seem fairly accurate (based on those I used in "real" gym equipment). And it's VERY quiet - just a slight hum of the magnetic part. I've used it for 4 years now - and it's in my unheated sunroom, which means it goes from freezing to warm to freezing again. Spirit and Sole also offer fancier models that can receive signals from body-worn heart rate monitors, etc.

I also agree that if you can find a used gym-quality elliptical like Precor (NOT "ProForm") - you'd love it!

Here's one like mine, only with a lighter (21 lb) flywheel, for $836.00:
http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Esprit-EL-355-20-Inch-Elliptical/dp/B002LKE5IK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1325784154&sr=8-4

* This post was edited 01/05/12 10:25am by Deb and Ed M *

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I 2nd the Precor. More expensive, but should last you indefinitely without repairs.

Pup: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slide-out + shower
surge brakes, 54w solar panel
TV: 2005 Nissan Xterra 4X4, manual trans
25 years tent camping, 4000+ miles of hiking, lots of biking

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest shopping in several stores until you find the model you want,and then check the classifieds. There's somebody out there that has one with very few miles on it and using it for a coat rack.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Ellipticals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS