RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: finding doctors on the road?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> finding doctors on the road?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have on going medical issues that require prescription medications which must be renewed, it usually works best to return to the same doctor once a year in order to get that done. Most doctors will not write new prescriptions for medications based upon a diagnosis by some other doctor that they do not know. In order to do that they usually want to run all of the same tests and diagnostic measures that were run by the last doctor.

If all that you need is a physical or some temporary medication for an illness, then one of the emergency service clinics where they accept walk in patients should work fine. What we have done for the past 11 years is to just use one of the "doc in a box" clinics if ill, and once a year we visit our long term doctor.

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

cabanaman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on tricare and i'm a heart patient.I go back once a year for my checkups and prescriptions.
If I or the wife need care we use an emergency room and then notify our doctor(primary care provider) right away and we are covered.I had to do this most recently for a kidney stone in cottonwood arizona and can't say enough about the medical center there.

Retired Navy
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab 6.7 cummins,6 speed auto,exhaust brake. Emissions removed.
2007 Open Road 378SA4S-5,equa-flex and morryde X factor,wet bolt kit,michelin ltx M/S 2 tires

ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use VA like I do, there is a Publication that you can obtain at any VA Hospital that details where every VA Treatment Center is located in this Country. It also includes, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines.

God Bless!

ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PyrateSilly wrote:

For VA you could also go on VA.gov and get updated information on where the clinics, hospitals and stuff if for the VA. Make sure you get a copy of your medical records whether you are VA or not from any doctors you go to. Keep an updated copy with you at all times just in case you have a bad emergency and they need back information. I know it is very easy with the VA to keep an updated copy with you as now they offer the records on DVD. That is all notes, tests, MRI's, Xrays well you get the idea.
Once a year we fill out the form and within a few weeks we have the updated copy. They all used to send a HUGE package with everything printed out and with me being in the system for 20+ years I am glad they went the DVD route so that it is easier to keep the "paperwork" all together without losing anything. Another thing to do if you are a vet is to sign up for "MyHealtheVet" thru the va.gov site. They just added the ability for vets to send an email to your doctor without trying to call and be on the phone for who knows how long. The doctor (or the docs nurse) will get back to you quickly. Even if all you need are some meds renewed it is MUCH easier to send an email instead of trying to call, lol.

Would not all of that stuff be on their Computer System? If not, they need to upgrade.

luvglass

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just go to a walk in clinic unless it's an emergency. We've had very good luck over the last 6 years.

Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

PyrateSilly

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For VA you could also go on VA.gov and get updated information on where the clinics, hospitals and stuff if for the VA. Make sure you get a copy of your medical records whether you are VA or not from any doctors you go to. Keep an updated copy with you at all times just in case you have a bad emergency and they need back information. I know it is very easy with the VA to keep an updated copy with you as now they offer the records on DVD. That is all notes, tests, MRI's, Xrays well you get the idea.
Once a year we fill out the form and within a few weeks we have the updated copy. They all used to send a HUGE package with everything printed out and with me being in the system for 20+ years I am glad they went the DVD route so that it is easier to keep the "paperwork" all together without losing anything. Another thing to do if you are a vet is to sign up for "MyHealtheVet" thru the va.gov site. They just added the ability for vets to send an email to your doctor without trying to call and be on the phone for who knows how long. The doctor (or the docs nurse) will get back to you quickly. Even if all you need are some meds renewed it is MUCH easier to send an email instead of trying to call, lol.

Thom, Gascap and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale 40ft 300hp RV.
Our blogged repairs and travels

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've found dental work prices vary greatly across the country. We nearly always have some type of dental emergency and check on the dental website for a nearby provider.

Lowest prices so far, Girard, PA and Wentzville, MO. Highest, Gainesville and Culpeper, VA.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

texasclarks

Morgantown, WV

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ventrman wrote:

PyrateSilly wrote:

Would not all of that stuff be on their Computer System? If not, they need to upgrade.

It is all automated now...at least the VA clinics are in areas that I have been stationed.

Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planned Parenthood will do some exams as well, included men. They work on a sliding scale. You can go to their website for info of what is offered in your area.

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

willowmoss

On the Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Willowmoss
2008 Winnebago 33' Voyage
Ford Chassis - 6.8L SOHC Triton V10 362-hp
Tow vehicle: 2009 Honda Fit, Roadmaster/US Gear