RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Towing behind 68" overhang?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Towing behind 68" overhang?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I need to tow a 7' X 14' trailer (total loaded weight under 4300#) behind my T/C that has 68" of overhang behind my hitch. My truck and T/C weigh in at 11,790*(loaded and scaled), which does not leave me much for tongue weight. Just putting on the new Superhitch Magnum and 60" Supertruss would put me over my GVW of the truck.

So I was thinking ... I know, bad idea. I have access to an old tow dolly that needs work ... a lot of it. I could extend the tongue so that the fenders would clear the corners of the T/C while I am rebuilding it. At the same time, I could build a 2 5/16" Ball hitch in the middle of the dolly. Then I could pull the trailer like a full trailer.

I already know that backing up will be a pain, but in my previous career life, I did have to back up Class 8 refer doubles that used a converter dolly.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this idea before, either to reduce tongue weight on the rear axle or to extend behind a long, like a side door, T/C?

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

scolew325

salem or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a reminder from one trucker to the next who has pulled and backed doubles many thousand miles. If your weight distribution isn't proper you could possibly have the dolly and trailer wagging their tales behind you which could cause an accident which nobody needs. Also the doubles you pulled were quite alot longer than what your thinking and the kingpins were set back under the trailers which makes backing alot easier. Now you need to consider the braking situation. Will your pick-up be able to pull and more importantly stop. Not trying to throw a bad apple into the bushel, just sharing some insite.

Scott T. Lewis

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I love that movie!! It was called a Slip dolly or others called it a Slimp dolly. Here is a thread about them with links of new and old versions.

If you are going the slip dolly route, there are a few places making new versions that you could modify your dolly to match. Make it slide into your hitch receiver and extend past the camper, and then place the dolly on a swivel so that the wheels can pivot, then mount your 2 5/16 ball to the center, and hitch up...
But my question is what camper gives you that long of and overhang? I have a 10ft camper on a short bed truck and I only have a 39 inch overhang...
Just curious
Garry in Kodiak, AK

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/12 11:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scolew325:
Thanx for the insight. I had planned on having surge brakes on the dolly and electric brakes on both trailer axles.

I also thought that while rebuilding the dolly, that I would make sure that there was sufficient tongue weight on the truck hitch by fabricating the ball mount forward of the dolly axle. I have a 550# (about the present trailer tongue weight) block so that I can move it back and forth on the dolly to get a decent tongue load on the truck hitch side. My thinking is on the lines of California doubles with the long tongue.

garryk6:

I have 12' Real Lite RL 1200, but it measures 13' to the bumper on the back of the T/C. My unit is a side door entry, the reaso for the long overhang.

* This post was last edited 01/05/12 12:17am by Photog101 *   View edit history

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your gonna be what, about 500lbs over GVWR?! If your hitch is rated for the tongue weight of the trailer with that extension I would just pull the trailer and forget about the dolly.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

06Fargo

Alberta EIEIO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check with the jurisdiction(s) where you plan to travel to make sure the configuration you are wanting to use is good to go.
Otherwise a properly set up full trailer that met the rules would work fine. Sounds like a neat project.

* This post was edited 01/05/12 07:59am by 06Fargo *

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 12:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, what camper do you have? The only camper I can think of that would have that much over hang is a Born Free, most are at max around the 48-50" mark.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your dolly-trailer combination will be viewed by law enforcement as a double tow, and will be subject to the same rules and regulations as if you were towing a 5th wheel and a boat.

Every time there's a ball hitch, it counts as a new trailer. If the dolly were solidly affixed to the truck like a "Hitch Buddy" it would be a different story.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My concern would be if you put a 6' tongue on the dolly that is not going to keep the hitch ball behind the truck on turns.

I don't think the trailer can stay in the lane going around a corner.

Of course I've been wrong before!!!!

2011 F250 Super Cab Lariat 6.2 373 FX4 Short Box 4" BDS, 35" Toyos, TorkLift, 16.5K Warn, Locked & Loaded
2007 SunLite Pop Up, Dometic 12 volt fridge, 100 watt solar, Trojan AGM, Honda 2000
2014 Nash 23D, Trojan twin sixes, Honda 3000

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my 10 1/2 ft Lance I used an extension that reached from my original truck hitch to the back of the Lance. Lance in 86 had a bracket for attaching that extension. I towed a small boat. Tongue weight was only a 100 pounds approx. Never had a problem. I haven't seen a Lance camper recently so don't know if they still install that bracket or not.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Towing behind 68" overhang?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers