|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Our first camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
modern family

tampa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DammitJim wrote:

When are you heading to Jetty Park? I was there in October and it was great. I'm headed to St Anastasia tomorrow and it's going to be the first time I have 3 bikes on the roof of my Odyssey. The other 2 kids bikes go inside the HTT. I bought Yakima Raptor Aeros which hold the full bike w/o taking the tires off. I hope the wind resistance doesn't mess me up as much as it did when going from a PUP to a high wall like the HTT. Happy camping!

We are going to Jetty park the last week in April. I read that they are doing numerous improvements and should be complete by then. I have heard a lot of good stuff about it.

The roof racks may be too much $$ for me, but I will start looking more actively on craigs list and ebay.

2013 Keystone, Laredo.. 291, Outdoor kitchen (my camping man cave)

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

modern family

tampa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Krazykayak wrote:

I have a Hyundai mini van and I'm going to start to pull a htt.. How much was it to install the airbags. That's a great idea.. I just bought a camper and the next day it snowed 10 inches.. So I'm a little jealous I would take planes trains and auto right now as long as. Was camping....

The airbags were actually very simple. ( I did myself as you can too) It was not like these you see on TV.. (up and down, and all that) I bought the airlift brand. It was a heady duty rubber air bag that is installed in the spring. A little patience and know-how and they were in after 1.5 hours. You can purchase an on board compressor and so-on, but I just air them up at the house and that is fine for our short trips. You do have to monitor them (keep a small anount of air in them) but, not a big deal. Just google airlift airbags and you can see what I have.. (airlift 1000) I think

Hope you get to camp soon!

FoCoNoCo

Fort Collins, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you! Nice setup. I'm extremely shocked the weight police haven't paid a visit to you yet! I hope you enjoy your camping trips, we were, and still are, considering a setup similar to yours. We had stopped shopping after reading the usual posts about needing a 3/4 ton truck to tow a light hybrid, and that a minivan can't tow anything more than an inflatable raft, but even then would need a weight distributing hitch and sway control to pull a kid on a skateboard. BTW, those statements are exagerrations, but some of the posts I read are not too far off from that. I may have to once again consider a set up like yours, as we plan to camp nearby on flat terrain.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 01:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i'm sorry but there's a big difference in a minivan pulling a full-height trailer in flat Florida, over a minivan pulling one through the mountains, such as the Rockies and Sierras.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

FoCoNoCo

Fort Collins, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

i'm sorry but there's a big difference in a minivan pulling a full-height trailer in flat Florida, over a minivan pulling one through the mountains, such as the Rockies and Sierras.

Actually, we have been revisiting our plans and are looking for a slightly larger TT, and of course, a heavier tow vehicle. Will be looking for another truck this summer and will go from there as for a TT.

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 04:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Airbags or rubber blocks in the suspension don't do a thing for towing capacity, they merely disguise an overloaded suspension.

The correct solution is a weight distribution hitch (WDH) which removes excess weight from the rear axle and distributes it to the front axle and trailer axle(s).

The true "weight police" arrive on holiday weekends near East Bubba.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

modern family

tampa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have both.. The bags stopped the bounce and leveled the ride. The WDH does the obvious.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modern Family,

Welcome. I had a 2005 Starcraft HTT as well but mine was a 21SSO. We camped out of a PU for 17 years and our two daughters grew up camping. Both are married now with children of their own and they continue to camp. Our oldest picked up a used PU and they are out as much as possible. It is a great family activity.

We towed with a 4Runner and didn't bring bikes. After the kids grew up the wife and I started bringing ours. We put them in a bike stand inside the HTT. It actually worked well even though I didn't like taking them in or out but once we were set up they rode without any problem. I don't think I could have gotten more than two in this way but I never really tried. Inside the HTT is probably not the best but it is an option. Don't put them on the back bumper of the trailer. I tried this on my PU and was lucky to get home with them still connected. Things were bent up and quite ugly on the way back.

2008 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch
Prodigy Controler

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thule racks. Use them year round, and racked up both of our vehicles. Carry whatever you can imagine from a canoe to a deer and everything in between. Oh yeah and use them when we go camping.

2008 Starcraft Travelstar Sport 21RBH
2008 Chevy Trailblazer V8 3.42/ 2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0/3.73 Captains.
Lowe 1448 Big Jon, 25hp tiller, 55lb MK transom TM.
Old Town Guide 147 Canoe
Me, DW, dd08, dd12, 88lb black lab!

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is our thule racked wagon carrying a 14ft canoe. Two straps, done deal!

Here is the mess of the pup, both racked up units, and weekend full of camping, canoeing, ect. The truck has a 25gallon waste tank, atw wagon, and screen room up top on that 430 tracker 2 system.

PS. That was the last time we ever went pupping

* This post was edited 01/12/12 08:08pm by PAThwacker *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Our first camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: