|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Hard covers for the spare tire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
weekendcamper24

Riverbank California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have notice several trailers with hard/plastic covers around the spare, seems much better than the vinyl ones which need replacing every few years, anyone know where they can be purchased?

BuckBarker

Treasure Coast Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 04:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had two vans with those hard covers. A PITA for sure. To preserve the soft cover, I use Krylon Fusion paint. It's been on for 4 years and there is no cracking or peeling.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is one place. Google "continental spare tire cover" to find many others.
I have one and have not found it to be any problem at all.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't help you on the hard cover but I have found that my soft covers last longer if I put a plastic garbage bag over the tire before installing the cover. The plastic bag protects the cover from the oils in the tire and makes it slide off and on easier.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

bobcouch

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just something to consider -
I may be the only one this has ever happened to, but my previous trailer came with a solid spare cover. While washing the trailer one day, I removed the cover to find that someone had replaced my brand-new, never on the ground spare with a blown out tire on a bent rim!

Bob and Honey Couch
Miniature dachshunds Tinker and Dusty
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Well, here is my take on it. We have a Honda CR-V XE. Yje OEM Cover is a Soft Cover, wiht the work HONDA on it. I called Honda's Parts Department and talked to a very nice gent. WOW, is all I can really say. I couldn't believe how much they wanted for that Soft Cover with the work HONDA on it. Boy, are they ever proud of that cover. I almost fainted when I asked how much a Hard Cover would be. Talk about Sticker Shock. Again, I think a Pure Gold Hard Cover would have been cheaper. Even the site listed above for a Hard Cover is unreasonable. I went to E-Bay, and bought a really, very well make Felt-Like Linned Soft Cover for only $20 dollars. Its been on for a couple of years now, and is showing no Fadding or signs of aging what so ever. All I ever do to it, is wash it and put some 303 on it, and to this day it still looks Brand New. I think this Soft Cover for $20 Dollars will last us for many years. We do keep the Honda CR-V XE garaged when ever it is not used. Even so, for $20 Dollars, I'll just buy another one if needed. Why waste good Money. We had a Hard Cover on a Rav4 we use to have. The heat from the sun ended up dry-rotting the Brand New Spare Tire. No more Hard Covers for us anyways. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jilll

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

weekendcamper24

Riverbank California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/12 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone!

retired-tech

flint mi

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my suggestion would be to hit the bone yards and find one for a conversion van, paint it to match and enjoy. who cares if they are a pain, the object is to leave it on as far as i know.

2000 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5 TURBO
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
2007 atlas 24 auto hauler
1987 GMC origional low miles

littleluck55

Fort Thomas, KY

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobcouch wrote:

Just something to consider -
I may be the only one this has ever happened to, but my previous trailer came with a solid spare cover. While washing the trailer one day, I removed the cover to find that someone had replaced my brand-new, never on the ground spare with a blown out tire on a bent rim!

Before I bought my trailer, I used to backpack a lot. My wife and I went on a overnight trip and when we came out of the woods, someone had taken one of my tires off my car and placed their flat tire under my axle to hold my car up. I was not happy that day.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> Hard covers for the spare tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS