|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> My Towbar/Protection Bracket

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I got around to fabricating my Towbar attachment crossmember which will also add some much needed extra protection for the swaybar disconnect actuator on the front of my Jeep JKU Rubicon.

I started with some pretty beefy steel, .500" drop-down brackets from the frame, 2"X .250" wall tubing and .375" steel for the attachment points.

Here is a picture of the major players ready for preliminary assembly after being cut and prepped.
[image]

Here are the 1/2" drop down brackets attached to the front of the Jeep. I fabricated a nut plate which uses two 5/8" bolts and one 1/2" bolt per side for a strong and secure attachment. The nutplate slips up inside the frame and bolts through the 1/2" plate and the frame.
[image]

Test fit on the bench.
[image]
[image]

Test fit and tack-welded under the Jeep.
[image]

Fully welded sitting on the bench to cool.
[image]

Final fitment under the Jeep.
[image]
[image]

It is now at the powder-coater and hopefully I will get it back towards the end of the week. I will post a few more pictures once it is under the Jeep for the last time powder-coated.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't it have been easier to fabricate brackets for the towbar to fit the shackle bosses on the custom bumper?
Then you wouldn't have that thing hanging down under the Jeep to scrape on the rocks.
It is a VERY nice fabrication job, but I would not want it on my Jeep.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC SWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X4
Other toys: a pair of Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up the bracket from the powder coater a few days ago and was able to install it. I am pretty happy with the match of the powder coating to my bumper, they did a great job on it.

I was able to get off-road with it over the weekend with a local group of guys. We hit a pretty nasty trail and even climbing up on some fairly large rocks and flexing the suspension out pretty good it didn't come close to hitting on any of them. The tires will grab the rocks and climb up prior to even coming close to the bracket.

Now I can't wait for the weather to break and get the coach out of storage, hook up and hit the road.

Mike.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

Wouldn't it have been easier to fabricate brackets for the towbar to fit the shackle bosses on the custom bumper?
Then you wouldn't have that thing hanging down under the Jeep to scrape on the rocks.
It is a VERY nice fabrication job, but I would not want it on my Jeep.

The "D" ring mounts on the bumper are 32" off the ground and I didn't want to build any higher of a riser for my towbar coming off the back of my coach than I already have.

The new bracket lines up exactly with my towbar on the coach as it sits. It does not change my approach angle at all as it sets behind the front of the bumper and slightly below it. I also likes the look of this better than some of the skid plates available to protect the sway-bar disconnect actuator. I would rather hit this heavy duty bracket than the expensive actuator.

Mike.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> My Towbar/Protection Bracket
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS