|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Another Quartzsite Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like I waited too long to get fhu's in Quartzsite so I guess we'll boondock for a few days. We'll be coming in on I-10 from Tucson on the 20th. After I get off there and head South on 95 (?) towards Yuma which of the places are short term?? Only need 3 nights. How much will it cost me?

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

wd

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look here

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are only going to be there for 3 days you might consider RoadRunner at mile marker 99. It's free.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There should be plenty of places to get paid camping sites. Might not have full hookups everywhere though.

The Long Term Visitors Area (LTVA) has a dump station and water for those paying $20 a week (or 2 weeks? Not really sure) or something like $150 for the whole winter.

THe other dry camping areas are free, and there are 5 that I know about. The one I like most has hard packed gravel, so much less dust and is 7 miles north of I10 on highway 95, then turn right on Plomosa Road and go about 1 mile, then look for a good road, everything north or south is part of the free camping area.

One place in town that is free, take exit #19, the east one, go south of the freeway about 1/4 mile, then left, and until it turns back towards the freeway, then right, and alongside the freeway about 1/2 - 3/4 mile, it will say "Open Camping area". From that point, util about 1/2 mile farther east, you can camp about 1/2 mile south of the freeway (to the signs that say southern limit to camping area or no camping beyond this sign). There is room for about 15,000 RV's in this one location. It will not fill up, mostly due to the freeway noise and dust.

The LTVA can hold as many as 200,000 RV's at once, yet the record numbers no longer show up, in part due to the nearly 10% sales tax in this once boom town, that has been taxed out of business.

Plomosa road (or however it is spelled) can also hold about 50,000 RV's and frequently has over 5,000. Never more than about 10% full! The dusty RV camping area that is east of highway 95 on the dusty dirt road can hold about 2,500 dust loving RV's. I would not camp there, and only stopped by to look once. Don't stop there by mistake. The road you want to camp off of is paved 2 lane road going to the next town, about 31' miles to the east.

Other camps are set up west of town, and further east. They can hold another 1/2 million RV's in a pinch. It seems the town will never run out of places to camp around it.

Fred.

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The dusty RV camping area that is east of highway 95 on the dusty dirt road can hold about 2,500 dust loving RV's. I would not camp there, and only stopped by to look once. Don't stop there by mistake.

That 14 day free camping area is about 3 mi north of Qtzt on the east side of 95 and is called "Hi Jolly"......its close to town, free, and will do the job if you are only looking to stay a few nights anyway....as far as dust goes?....well,it is Quartzsite!!!....love it or hate it..

* This post was edited 01/10/12 10:36am by Z-Peller *

Bill

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why people send everyone miles out of town and make you fight traffic to get to anything, I have yet to figure out. Take the 1st exit as you come into Q and turn left on top of the ramp. Go south about ¼ mile to the end of the road and then turn left again on Kuehn Rd. Go back east about ½ mile and pick a spot in Scadden Wash on the right, it is a BLM 14 day free area. Kuehn Rd is the main street for most of the vendors and shows and is only about 1 mile from Scadden Wash to the center of activities and there will be NO traffic until you get to US95.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

2oldman

Nashville TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

pick a spot in Scadden Wash on the right, it is a BLM 14 day free area.
I'll check this out today. To me, it looks pretty close to the freeway. Noisy.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

The Texan wrote:

pick a spot in Scadden Wash on the right, it is a BLM 14 day free area.
I'll check this out today. To me, it looks pretty close to the freeway. Noisy.
That's what we thought the 1st time there, but it is not that bad, if you get far enough to the south, off the highway. There are several places to actually cross the wash and then you can get way off the beaten path if you want, but we didn't find it necessary.

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried Rice Ranch? Last year we were there (w/fhu) all during the big tent days and there were always open spots. I wouldn't think it would be any different this year.

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SGTJOE wrote:

Looks like I waited too long to get fhu's in Quartzsite so I guess we'll boondock for a few days. We'll be coming in on I-10 from Tucson on the 20th. After I get off there and head South on 95 (?) towards Yuma which of the places are short term?? Only need 3 nights. How much will it cost me?

Doesn't the guys still come around the remote camp grounds with the trucks? One with fresh water and the other for dumping your grey and black water.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Another Quartzsite Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds