RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> '71 Starcraft Wanderstar- "The Hilton"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was finally able to finish the ceiling insulation. Man, what a chore, if I was to do it agin, I'd buy the spray foam kit and save myself about thirty hours of cutting and fitting.

There are at least 8 pieces in each rafter bay and I recut a few of the ceiling pieces that are inside the rafter gussets, using 1/2" and 1" foam board. A few of these spots were impossible to get two 1" pieces to fit. All of the pieces are friction fit but I did use a couple of nails to hold a few panels in their spot.

The really good news is that I ran the heater for an hour, this morning, it read 15 f. This afternoon, with no active heating except the sun, the temp stabilised at 60f., 40f. ambient.

Now, what to do with the waste?

I'll be gong back in armed with foam adhesive and a can of expanding foam to get any cracks that remain.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darn that's a lot of cutting. I'm kind of in that stage right now too. I used the foil backed board though, it was the same price as pink board but a little higher R value and cuts like butter with a pocket knife. Still takes a lot of time though.

1981 Sunline 17 1/2SB - under construction
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 4.7lt

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

U.P. BLDR wrote:

Darn that's a lot of cutting. I'm kind of in that stage right now too. I used the foil backed board though, it was the same price as pink board but a little higher R value and cuts like butter with a pocket knife. Still takes a lot of time though.

Oh yeah, no trouble cutting the stuff but measuring each piece takes the time. What you can't see in the oictures above are the gussets on eaach end of every rafter and the original pieces of 1/4" plywood gussets that were nailed, midspan, to the rafters. All of that needed to be cut around to install the foam board. I saw that on your Sunlte, you've installed new, solid rafters. That should make for a very solid roof and allow easier installation of the foam board.

Today, I jacked the roof up around the shower stall and installed a 4 mil. poly vapor barrier. In this picture, I've removed the jacking posts to get everything stapled.

I took some measurements while I had the stall in situ because I am contemplating stapling some 1/4" fan fold foam board to the ceiling and the shower stall is too high (or the roof too low) to accomodate that. I may forgo that for the ceiling because the headroom is only 6'3" and I'm 6'2" so adding another 1/4" may be a cap-scraper. I'll sleep on it.

jschlegel48

Travelling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I took some measurements while I had the stall in situ because I am contemplating stapling some 1/4" fan fold foam board to the ceiling and the shower stall is too high (or the roof too low) to accomodate that. I may forgo that for the ceiling because the headroom is only 6'3" and I'm 6'2" so adding another 1/4" may be a cap-scraper. I'll sleep on it.

You have just reinvented (discovered) the reason RV manufacturers almost always install skylights over the shower. (And y'all thought it was to brighten up the stall. )

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I did get a little sleep last night and my subconcious processing unit (SPU) indicates that the fanfold on the ceiling is just going to be burdensome for the amount of value added (about .5 R). That, and I'd like to keep all the headroom I can. I will get some on the walls so I think my SPU will be OK with that.

As sometimes happens, my Concious Processing Unit (CPU) gets a boost from the SPU and that is what happened today. I was thinking of how to treat the paneling over the stall and the "boost" came on. I trotted down to the local Menards store and came away with a 4'x8' sheet of waterproof plastic sheet that should do the job admirably. Since I only need 1/4 of the sheet to cover the stall, I may use the remainder as a backsplash in the bathroom.

Steamguy

The Windy Columbia Gorge

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

First: Nice job going on there...

For the waste, look in your phone book for local Model Railroad clubs; we use this stuff for the structure under the scenery; it's light and can be carved. a Club is the quickest way to get a response. You might even get a couple bucks for it, also.

westend

all over

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steamguy wrote:

westend wrote:

For the waste, look in your phone book for local Model Railroad clubs; we use this stuff for the structure under the scenery; it's light and can be carved. a Club is the quickest way to get a response. You might even get a couple bucks for it, also.

Hey, thanks, Steamguy! I might just do this very thing. One of my hobbies is two-channel audio so I'll reserve a small bag for shipping gear, too.

Gotta' love the trains. When I get out and going with the Hilton, I'm going to put a train ride on my short list. I've see some fantastic vintage train rides (at least the videos) from around the country.

U.P. BLDR

Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westend wrote:

Steamguy wrote:

westend wrote:

Hey, thanks, Steamguy! I might just do this very thing. One of my hobbies is two-channel audio so I'll reserve a small bag for shipping gear, too.

Gotta' love the trains. When I get out and going with the Hilton, I'm going to put a train ride on my short list. I've see some fantastic vintage train rides (at least the videos) from around the country.

2 channel audio! I am an old vintage audio guy myself. Every night I work on my old camper my old Sansui integrated is blasting out the beats through my even older DCM Time Windows.

My garage system. Yes I still spin vinyl, check out the Micro Seiki on top I found at Goodwill for $5

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Sansui receiver brings back some memories. I could rock the entire house with that receiver and a couple of tower speakers I had.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of CD player is that? those look like huge CD`s!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 37  
Prev  |  Next