RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ten examples of what not to do from others...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Ten examples of what not to do from others...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am still a novice at RV-ing, I have seen some examples of what not to do when RV-ing. Here are ten I learned by watching other people make mistakes:

1: Be careful when flushing out tanks, and if you are not physically present at the gate valves, leave them open. I passed one RV that had black water spraying out the top vent like a geyser.

2: Judge tree height. Air conditioners belong on the top of the RV, not in the road.

3: Use a W/D hitch. I was following someone whose trailer was all over the highway, and when I passed them (from one lane away), they had no W/D mechanism whatsoever.

4: Secure your wheels. At one CG, I asked if one guy had his wheels removed for security... found out the owner wasn't the one who put the RV on blocks.

5: Depressurize your water system before pulling the anode rod. I was wondering why I saw fire hose action out the water heater drain.

6: Depressurize your water system before pushing the check valve on the city water inlet during the winterization process, unless you want to burst that one O-ring which takes major surgery to get to.

7: Don't drop glass beer bottles down the toilet and into the black tank. (This was on a used TT that was completely trashed due to some heavy partying.)

8: Don't use the rear bumper that houses sewer hoses for much weight. It likely will fall off if someone decides to try to attach a generator rack to it. Instead, get a rear hitch receiver which bolts to the frame that can take some weight.

9: Don't leave the deadbolt sticking out when you slam your RV door. It will subsequently jam, and might require being disassembled and oiled to work again.

10: If a generator is spouting flames from the exhaust and the muffler is glowing red, it isn't a candidate of one to purchase.

johnbhicks

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remind me to not camp by you guys..

-C&J-
www.fugawetribe.com

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 06:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While all free advice might be well intentioned, some of it can actually be costly. Don't believe everything people tell you. If you have doubts about advice you receive, test it out on this forum.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,Rosemary, Sandy wrote:

While all free advice might be well intentioned, some of it can actually be costly. Don't believe everything people tell you. If you have doubts about advice you receive, test it out on this forum.

That is the most important thing one can take away from just this one thread.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JimK-NY

fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a bunch of garbage. If you really want to be careful about the don't does, then the main issue is to be careful about the height and width of the RV. Yes pay attention to tree limbs and also bridges and narrow passages.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#3: If you have a trailer sway problem, find out why, and FIX IT! A WD hitch may or may not have any inherent anti-sway capability. If it is merely a WD hitch, it will not solve the problem, it probably won't even mask it effectively.
There is always a reason for true trailer sway. Find it, fix it, and THEN, if it makes you feel safer, get the fancy hitches.

#4: Is wheel theft really that common that it needs to be addressed? This is the first I have ever heard on in many years of owning RVs!

#7: Do not put ANYTHING down the toilet except what belongs there. This applies to ANY toilet! Especially the vault or pit toilets in back country campgrounds!

* This post was edited 01/10/12 06:07am by mowermech *

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knowing that this is controversial, here is another and one that has served us well...
Don't finance an RV (or any toy) unless it's your only home.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALWAYS....ALWAYS....ALWAYS... have a spotter on the rear of a long brand spankin new TT when turning in or out of a tight spot with lots of trees.

did you know the back end of those things swings way way out in a tight turn........well i do now, after the awning hit the ground.

Dar

1993 Dodge cummins crankin out some torque,
2003 Lance 1071 loaded to the hilt

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like a lot of hostility out there this morning. Mlts22 is just making some observations that could help newbies. I've made some of the same mistakes he mention. (#5)

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hostility, or a quest for ACCURATE and COMPLETE information?
I know which it was in my case.
If I wished to allow some hostility to enter into the equation, I would have simply said "It can all be summed up in one word: THINK!"

"Knowing that this is controversial, here is another and one that has served us well...
Don't finance an RV (or any toy) unless it's your only home."

Ah, yes, financial advice for the foolish masses...
Of course, there is a good chance you will be DEAD before you save up enough to buy the RV, but that's OK, you can die secure in the knowledge that inheritance taxes and medical bills will eat up most of your savings, and there is a pretty fair chance the lawyers will get the rest!
BUT, you didn't go in debt for any toys!
good advice, no doubt, and I have heard (and pretty much ignored )it for many years. I choose to enjoy life the best I can, and if that means financing "toys", I will do so, so that I can enjoy them.
"Life is short, eat dessert first!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Ten examples of what not to do from others...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS