RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ten examples of what not to do from others...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Ten examples of what not to do from others...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought all my RV's with cash. Last two, it was somebody else's cash. Could have used mine. But it made more sense to keep mine invested, and to rent someone else's cash. As it works out my invested cash is making more money than the cost of renting someone else's cash. I love it when a plan comes together.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anaro wrote:

For a do- do come to this website when you think you have really screwed things up. They will help set you straight and while laughing at you, they will give you honest advice on how to fix your rookie mistake.

While some may laugh AT you, many are laughing because we've been there and made that mistake ourselves!

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought it was funny too...helpful as well. Also, to the one who said not to finance...glad you have $$$, but those of us who don't, should finance this luxery and enjoy life a bit. No one should wait until it's too late.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Quote:

Ah, yes, financial advice for the foolish masses...
Of course, there is a good chance you will be DEAD before you save up enough to buy the RV, but that's OK, you can die secure in the knowledge that inheritance taxes and medical bills will eat up most of your savings, and there is a pretty fair chance the lawyers will get the rest!
BUT, you didn't go in debt for any toys!
good advice, no doubt, and I have heard (and pretty much ignored )it for many years. I choose to enjoy life the best I can, and if that means financing "toys", I will do so, so that I can enjoy them.
"Life is short, eat dessert first!"

I agree. Especially with young families, time is not on your side to let them experience camping and the outdoors.

Of course none of us know how long we have, but a young couple going into debt for an RV is foolish in my world. I started out with a 1976 Starcraft Galaxy 8. We paid $700.00 cash for it and had some great times in it back in the early 90's. I guess I just don't understand the correlation between debit and fun.

bakerkids

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

I bought all my RV's with cash. Last two, it was somebody else's cash. Could have used mine. But it made more sense to keep mine invested, and to rent someone else's cash. As it works out my invested cash is making more money than the cost of renting someone else's cash. I love it when a plan comes together.

I often wonder why people don't see this. I usually get an open note, and pay the principle down first. I can load up on payments at times or, like during Christmas, pay "my" minimum. All while my investments are making more.... I try to pay things off in a year. For bigger items, maybe two years. We also planned to not have a mortage by the time the oldest of our 3 kids started high school because we wanted to save for their college educations. Two are now college grads, and the baby is a college freshman.

Everyone does things different. There are no absolute "right" or "wrong" ways to go about it. Whatever works for you...

Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
4 K9s
Our photos

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We paid cash for our first Travel Trailer - last September. And got a simplier, cheaper model to be able to do so.

Was I right in waiting so long?

Well we have had great fun with the grandchildren now, even camping when we needed to run the heater.

But I can't help but think about the times when in near identical conditions it was a bit too cold to take my children tent camping 15-20-25 years ago.

How many weekends did I miss with them?

Whatever works for you is what works.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

csh_2088

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first get our RV everyone has done something dumb that was embarrassing but now we can laugh at. My first ever trip I had just pulled into a campground and hooked the hose up to the city water inlet or so I thought. I actually put the hose in the fresh water tank turned on the hose and left for the camp store to get a drink. When I got back there was water gushing all over the place.

Rexhall Motorhomes Yahoo Group

cyberiankhatru

Youngsville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am concerned with the hostility this thread contains. I enjoyed the OP's post and laughed since I was guilty on the anode rod one! There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Its their opinion. Everything on forums is just opinions. A fellow poster I know always states YMMV and all posts are his OPINION.
Oh, we paid cash for our used pop-up, cash for our used TT, but I can assure you we'll finance our next one 'cause it'll be NEW!
:-)

bertnspike

e central fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing NOT to do: open or close the slides while cabinet doors are open!

One COULD just IGNORE perceived hostility. Response to hostility only generates more.

JMHO.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How does that song (Drum Music by Juanita Coulson) go Some folks are congenitally bloody. (I have had the pleasure of carrying her books for her).

Enough on the hostility)

Some other things I've learned thankfully from others. And the first I've put in practice.

There is indeed a time and place to argue with a cop.. .. IN COURT, polietly. (I won too, Every time so far)

DO Tell the judge to ... Well the initials are FU.... (A friend of mine, who is a cop, told me that one, Seems his subject told the magistrage "$100.00 F.U. The magistrate sent him to The judge who ask him how he plead on the charge of Contempt of Court, The subject said "NOT GUILTY AN.. Repeated the offence, The judge told him he had something to learn and a year in prison to learn it, tha'ts on a 100 dollar traffic ticket).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Ten examples of what not to do from others...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS